Klarus        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best User Interface for Flashlights?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Best User Interface for Flashlights?

ThruNiteís UI is hands down the best Iíve ever used.

The TN40, TN42 and TC20 are so simple and efficient to operate, especially one handed.

Used to be a huge fan of Acebeamís lights and their control ring UI, but I no longer own a single Acebeam.

I love the UI on my Nitecore P12GT. Rear clicky for on/off and momentary, with a mode button on the side of the driver. It cycles from moonlight (1 lumen) low (55 lumens), mid (280 lumens), and high (1000 lumens), then starts over again. The same button can be held to get to strobe, S.O.S and beacon modes. My only real gripe is the step through is only one direction. Some others have a second button to step it down instead of always having to step up.

Best UI is magnetic ring like Acebeam K40M or SF U2 I own. You can start any lvl you want and adjust in a blink of the eye.
    Mike
    My flashlight is bigger than yours...

Tail switch, momentary on, control ring near head like my nitecore Infilux IFE2, an older light but the best UI of any light I own.

Flashaholic*

I ordered the Lumens Factory e-series body, clicky tailcap, and the 3-mode e-series warm hi-cri LED head.

I've never had any experience with the surefire e-series, but it looks like a convenient format and seems to be extremely well regarded. So I thought I'd give it a try.

--flatline

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    My favorite (no joke) is on/off.
    Was going to be a non-conformist and reply with my Luddite preference, but the cat is already out of the bag by Post #4, lol !

I need a bright light - I turn on the bright flashlight; I need modest & unobtrusive illumination - I turn on the dim 1-AAA light.
    And when finished, the flashlight is turned off - UI problem solved.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-12-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Very soon there should be a general purpose UI with easy switching to standard alternate UIs as well as personally programmed UI.
    Zebralight has made the leap with their G6 and G7 alternate programs, it would just take another small step to allow one of those to be Narsil, or the simplified Narsil of the Emisars.
    Seems like the way forward, for momentary switches at least.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Surefire Two Stage tailcaps are the best UI in my opinion. Super simple, super reliable.

Long press for moonlight. Double click for the turbo. Those two must have for me.

For the longest time I thought my Eagletac D25A2 had the best UI. Everything is controlled with a forward clicky tailcap and the head. With the head loosened you click for on/off and tap the switch to cycle through L-M-H-Disco Modes. With head tight you have Turbo and Strobe modes. You can set the light to either have or not to have mode memory and also whether to have or not to have moonlight. I always keep them set without memory and with moonlight on that way when I turn the light on it is always in it's lowest mode and a couple taps will bump up the output. If I need turbo I could always give the head a quick tighten and have turbo first time every time.

Now though I have an Olight H1 and it has a great UI. Immediate access from off to moonlight, turbo, or last used mode. With light on immediate access to turbo. Ramping is quick and simple and it makes for an easy to use light for just about anybody.

I believe a light I would really like to see is an Olight M2T or M2R that had both a side switch and a tail switch. The side switch was only there for mode changing and the tail switch was a mechanical lockout for soley on/off use. Once you turned it on via the tail switch you could then use the side switch as I described above.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

Flashaholic*

I've been paying attention to my own habits and I've realized that I tend to pair lights together: one light that gives me immediate access to a relatively bright output level (often single mode) paired with another light that gives me immediate access to low mode (usually multi-mode starting at the lowest output level).

Rather than draw my light and fiddle with the UI to get the output I want, I simply reach for the light that gives me the output I want by default.

More of a system than a UI, I suppose, but it works well. At least well enough.

--flatline

I quite like the UI on the Armytek Wizard Pro I have. I generally leave it on a medium setting, but I know moonlight is a press and hold away. Or Turbo is three clicks. Or I could just press and hold and cycle through the modes until I find the one I want. However, the BLF Q8 and Emissar D4 are quite nice as well with the ramp. Press and hold to ramp from moon to turbo, or double click straight to turbo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12