Knife Review: Lionsteel T5 MI

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
00v2-Lionsteel-T5-Feature-P1260728-.jpg

Each year at IWA, there are a few blades that stand out and draw you back to them time and again. Lionsteel's T5 was one of those, and may well have been my most visited blade at IWA 2017. I've been fortunate enough to be able to spend a lot more time with it subsequently, as well as being able to discuss its design with Mik Molletta, the man behind this outstanding knife.

32-Lionsteel-T5-with-sheath-P1260830.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Statement for Transparency and Disclosure
The test sample/s featured in this article have been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review for the purposes of long term testing and product comparisons.

All output figures and test results published in this review are the sole work of the reviewer, and are carried out independently and without bias. Test results are reported as found, with no embellishments or alteration. Though best endeavours are made to maintain the accuracy of test equipment, the accuracy of these results is not guaranteed and is subject to the test equipment functioning correctly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Blade and Handle Geometry:

Most knife specifications have a basic description of the blade geometry, but in this section I will be taking a more detailed look at geometry and balance.
34-Lionsteel-T5-grind-P1270890.jpg

Using a set of gauges and precision measuring equipment including a Vernier protractor, callipers, fixed radius gauges and the unique Arc Master adjustable radius gauge (the one that looks like a crossbow).
Knife-measuring-P1180483.jpg

These measurements have been tabulated and are presented along with a few reference blades (8" Chef's Knife, 5.5" Santoku and the popular Fällkniven F1).

Key aspects such as the primary bevel angle, grind type, blade depth, blade thickness, length, weight are detailed, along with balance information.
35-Lionsteel-T5-bevel-P1270895.jpg

The 'Balance relative to the front of the handle' tells you if the knife will feel front heavy, or if the weight is in your hand (a positive value means the weight is forward of the front of the handle). The 'Balance relative to the centre of the handle' indicates how close to a 'neutral balance' the knife has in the hand.
33-Lionsteel-T5-balance-P1270886.jpg

In the case of full convex grinds the approximate centre of the grind is used for the primary bevel angle estimate.

(Wherever you see the 'Read MORE' marker, it indicates that the Extended Version of the review has additional content at that point. Viewing the extended version helps support further reviews, but please ensure you return to this Forum for comments and discussion.)

The blade is made from Niolox steel.

New for 2018! BESS Certified sharpness testing:

The BESS 'C' scale of sharpness, developed by Mike Brubacher (Brubacher Edge Sharpness Scale) will now become part of Tactical Reviews' knife testing process. Initially this will be used to verify the sharpness of the factory edge and allow the knife to be brought to a minimum standard sharpness before testing a blade's cutting performance.

The Lionsteel T5's factory edge has an average BESS 'C' sharpness of 233. This original edge cleanly slices 80gsm copier paper with an edge cut, but won't quite push cut it. It slices into the rounded edge of a doubled over sheet of the same 80gsm paper. It also will catch the edge of green Rizla paper and slice halfway through (cross ways), but not all the way.

36-Lionsteel-T5-BESS-PSX_20180210_163819.jpg

Explained by the Maker:
The reasons for certain design choices may not be clear when simply looking at an object, so this section is intended to give an insight into the thinking behind a design by speaking to the designer themselves.

Mik Molletta, kindly agreed to go through many of the design aspects of the T5 and despite a language barrier, Mik has helped with the questions I put to him:

A few more details:

The T5 arrives in a cardboard box.
01-Lionsteel-T5-box-P1260656.jpg

Inside, the sheathed T5 is otherwise unwrapped.
02-Lionsteel-T5-box-open-P1260664.jpg

Along with the T5 is a small leaflet.
03-Lionsteel-T5-box-contents-P1260672.jpg

However, the blade is wrapped inside the sheath.
04-Lionsteel-T5-sheath-retention-P1260674.jpg

You can see that the plastic wrapping was not terribly successful, as the blade has just sliced through it when it was inserted into the sheath.
05-Lionsteel-T5-blade-wrap-P1260679.jpg

A very nice quality leather sheath is used for the T5.
06-Lionsteel-T5-leather-sheath-P1260683.jpg

The leather is double stitched for maximum durability and lifespan.
07-Lionsteel-T5-leather-stitching-P1260686.jpg

The maker is cleanly embossed into the leather.
08-Lionsteel-T5-leather-embossed-P1260692.jpg

A great looking knife and sheath. This is why I kept revisiting Lionsteel's stand at IWA 2017.
12-Lionsteel-T5-and-sheath-P1260718.jpg

The steel specification is engraved into the blade - NIOLOX. An increasingly popular steel.
14-Lionsteel-T5-and-steel-P1260735.jpg

The flat grind is very high, but not quite a full flat grind.
17-Lionsteel-T5-blade-P1260746.jpg

Only visible along the back of the handle, there is a full length, full thickness tang.
18-Lionsteel-T5-blade-back-P1260749.jpg

Sculpted from a single piece of micarta, the handle has a wide and comfortable finger guard. The cutting edge is nicely terminated with a sharpening choil.
19-Lionsteel-T5-handle-detail-P1260756.jpg

Grip texturing is machined into the handle surface.
20-Lionsteel-T5-handle-bolt-P1260760.jpg

Two stainless Torx bolts secure the handle to the tang.
21-Lionsteel-T5-handle-P1260766.jpg

With a well rounded plunge line, maximum strength is retained.
25-Lionsteel-T5-plunge-P1260788.jpg

Excellent attention to detail in the sheath with a protective cover over the internal part of the rivets. Doing this prevents the handle being scratched by the metal fixings.
28-Lionsteel-T5-sheath-detail-protection-P1260811.jpg

This really is something special.
31-Lionsteel-T5-with-sheath-P1260823.jpg

What it is like to use?

I'm going to start with that beautiful and well thought out leather sheath. Fortunately I am right handed, so this presents me with no issues, and I hope Lionsteel will offer a left handed version of the sheath.
It is the first MOLLE compatible production knife leather sheath I've come across, and makes an excellent change from the typical MOLLE compatible sheaths. Some MOLLE mounts are more of a struggle to use than others, and this sheath is a bit of a battle to fit. It is definitely worth planning out the position carefully as I did not enjoy fitting or removing it. The webbing on the sheath that fits over the leather MOLLE strap is quite tight, and catches firmly on the edge of the press stud when you try to slide the strap out. Easy enough when the sheath is not mounted, but definitely a struggle when trying to unmount it.
The sheath wraps over the first part of the handle with the retaining strap fitting above the finger guard. This over-wrap serves two purposes, the first is a very secure hold on the knife, and the second is that the over-wrap helps keep the retaining strap out of the way of the blade edge as it is sheathed and unsheathed.
13-Lionsteel-T5-and-sheath-P1260723.jpg

With its 5mm blade stock, the T5 has a bit of weight to it, but that fantastic sculpted handle allows it to sit in your hand so comfortably. For a multi-purpose blade, the extra weight from the thick blade is the small trade off for the gain in strength and robustness you want in a blade that might be used for just about anything.
26-Lionsteel-T5-in-hand-P1260798.jpg

Factory edges are a subject unto themselves, as for some it is the best edge they ever have on that knife, and for others the worst. On the T5, the factory edge was impressive, and definitely usable out of the box. Due to the blade thickness, the edge bevels are quite wide and this will only get more pronounced with further use, but is the norm for blades of this thickness.

Mik Molletta has done Lionsteel proud with this design, and Lionsteel have done Mik Molletta proud with the quality of manufacture of his design, and this knife, that stood out from the crowd at IWA 2017, continues to impress the more I use it. The full package is a pleasure to use, and has put itself firmly into my top 5 favourite fixed blades.

Review Summary

The views expressed in this summary table are from the point of view of the reviewer's personal use. I am not a member of the armed forces and cannot comment on its use beyond a cutting tool or field/hunting knife.

Something that might be a 'pro' for one user can be a 'con' for another, so the comments are categorised based on my requirements. You should consider all points and if they could be beneficial to you.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Things I likeWhat doesn't work so well for me
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Sculpted one piece micarta handle.Sheath is right handed only.
Strong 5mm blade stock.MOLLE Strap more fiddly than most.
NIOLOX steel.Thick blade results in a wide edge bevel.
Super quality, double-stitched leather sheath.
High Flat Grind, multi-purpose blade.
MOLLE compatible sheath.

00-Lionsteel-T5-Feature-P1260729v2.jpg

(Moderators, there is a reciprocal link at the end of every review on Tactical Reviews.)

Round-Sticker-V1-0.png

CPF-Trusted-Stamp-200-background.png