Have run times significantly improved?

Berneck1

Enlightened
Hey Guys, I haven't posted anything for about two years. I kind of got burnt out with the discussions that seemed to devolve into arguments all the time. I owned more flashlights than I needed, and was caught up in the lumen race. I found over time I never used or needed much more than 1000 lumens, and in most cases 200-500 was plenty. Lately, I've had the itch to pick up a new light. Something in the 1000-1200 lumen max range, but with high efficiency on the lower range. Are their any companies that seem to be more focused on better run time efficiencies over pushing the LED to it's limits? I know it's usually not the best selling point vs brightness, but does any particular company stand out in that regard?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't see the sublumen fans around much anymore (who are the efficiency fanatics) but @reppans was an expert on this ....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To answer the question:
Yeah, kinda

Streamlight is coming out with a new ProTac, the HL5 that touts 3500 lumens for like an hour, a thousand on medium for like 9 and a 250 low for a bunch of hours.
Dual switch is a much needed improvement.

Maglites upcoming MagCharger touts 1000 for 3.5 hours...

Slowly things are settling into a combo of whopping outputs and longer running mediums.

My little PKDL 1x123 touts nearly 400 steady for an hour with an 8 hour runtime on the 200 lumen medium.

Some are opting for much higher lows as well.

I liked the 600 medium for 8 hours on the 2016 ProTac HL4 that was 2200 lumen on high and 60 lumens on low.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
right now the Zebralight H600Fw MK II is on sale for 59$, when they're gone then I'm sure they'll be gone.
That is a great light, 4400 Kelvin, CRI 70+-80?, really useful hybrid/ compromise beam, bright, efficient, non programmable.

Last edited:

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
There is that dude on that Reddit post has had his zebra on the moonlight mode for over a year straight. I got into flashlights with streamlight and went to Zebralight with the new UI. Amazing run times, insane size(fits perfect in the hand.) I have the 2300 lumen model and I just love it. I've seen some people complain about tint. But mine isn't yellow at all and has a nice, very subtle Rosey hue.

I evolved from 5000k to liking 4100-4500. Things don't seem so washed out.

I use my flashlight a lot on cars, small objects(I fix other people's crap for a living.) I have a 18 month old son and I have LOVED moonlight mode. When he is sleeping, I can point it directly in his face; from a few feet without a single reaction.

I'm a pretty big fan.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't think that run-times have significantly improved over the last couple of years. I don't think that there have been any real break-throughs in LED technology.

I also have been away, but think that the XPL is slightly more efficient than the XM-L2, and the cooler tints are also a little more efficient.

There are lights, such as the Thrunite TN12 that push the 1000 lumen mark, but also have low lows, or even sub-lumen.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIME-VIDEO

I still like the Convoy series of lights in that I can choose how hard it is driven 3-8 x 7135 chips ie 1050 - 2800 ma. and Simon often offers a new firmware that allows one to choose any of 10 different modes including 0.1% up to 100%

Also others, such as mtnelectronics will customize lights for you with a guppy drive that allows similar programming.

Keitho

Enlightened
I was marveling at the efficiency of my Zebralight SC64c yesterday. At around 10 degrees F (-12 C) it lasted 1:45 on an 18650 putting out over 500 lm of high CRI, 4000k glow. The extreme temp means the cell was not behaving optimally, and there was no thermal regulation necessary, but it just kept on pumping out the beautiful light. As far as efficiency goes, that's what I'm after--warm, high CRI light coming from the smallest possible package for a crazy length of time. I don't think any manufacturer does that job better than ZL at the moment.

I still think there is room for improvement--for example, my cell was still at 3.25v when it stepped down to moonlight. There was still some Wh left in the cell that the driver couldn't use on the 500 lm mode. Maybe on the SC65...