Best rechargeable AA/AAA batteries?

aab

Newly Enlightened
My current sets of rechargeable AA/AAA batteries are 7-8 years old (some Duracell PreCharhed and some Turnigys) and not surprisingly not holding their full capacity anymore so it's time for new ones.

What are good ones and a good place to get them keeping in mind I'm in Canada?

Thanks

Thunderheart

Newly Enlightened
I've recently bought a good amount of PKCELL batteries. They have the best price/performance ratio, especially with coupons and during sales period.
Check out their official store at aliexpress.
For AA size the LSD ones have 2200mAh capacity and green wrap and the non-LSD ones are rated 2600mAh and have yellow wrap.

puglife

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the eneloop, you can have the LADDA too @ ikea (they are rebranded eneloop pro)

aab

Newly Enlightened
White [1900mAh] Eneloop with Panasonic BQ-CC17 charger.

I'm confused by the 1900mah, it seems very high for AAAs (have they reached these capacities?) and very low for AAs (my 10 year old ones are like 2500 or more).

If they are AAs, why should I get 1900mahs in 2018 when I had 2500+ probably in 2005?

Thank you

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm confused by the 1900mah, it seems very high for AAAs (have they reached these capacities?) and very low for AAs (my 10 year old ones are like 2500 or more).

If they are AAs, why should I get 1900mahs in 2018 when I had 2500+ probably in 2005?

Thank you

It is for AA and the reason to use the 1900mAh is because they just about last forever and never self discharge.

kpatz

Newly Enlightened
Eneloop AAs are ~1900mAh and have very low self discharge. Eneloop Pro AAs are 2550 mAh, but they have more self discharge than regular Eneloops. The Pros are intended for use in high current draw applications like high-lumen flashlights. Regular Eneloops are better for lower current drain applications.

SweD

Newly Enlightened
Anything from the FDK plant in Japan, that is a low self discharge battery (LSD).

Fujitsu, Eneloop, Duracell Ion Core, some Amazons, some Ikeas, et. al..

http://eneloop101.com/batteries/rewrapped-batteries/

Chris

Just got a bit qurious. The above link mentioned Powerex as being re-wrapps. This might well be true, just asking since I know I've read on the Mahaenergy website that they have their own manufacturing plant in Taiwan? Could well be that they share I suppose. :)

/Dennis

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a bit qurious. The above link mentioned Powerex as being re-wrapps. This might well be true, just asking since I know I've read on the Mahaenergy website that they have their own manufacturing plant in Taiwan? Could well be that they share I suppose. :)

/Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I pretty much read Chibi's POWEREX section as stating that they're NOT Eneloops. Maybe somebody, somewhere, thought they were, so he listed them, or maybe he's just including all of the major players, I don't know, but there's no indication from his words that they're made in the FDK plant and are even LSD batteries.

My buddy bought a C9000 right after I did in 2012, but instead of buying my AccuPower 2900/1200s, he went with PowerEx and he had a couple of his AAs fail quite early on. I'd never spend my money on them unless it was an emergency and there were all I could get.

I won't buy the AccuPower batteries, either, but I got close to 2.5-3 years out of 8 AAs and 8 AAAs before recycling them.

For the record, the worst batteries I bought when I revamped everything 6 years ago were my 8 Sanyo 2700 HSD 'made in Japan' AAs. I don't think that I even got 2 years out of them in light duty, before their I.R.s were through the roof.

Chris

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops are proven, high value batteries.
Any number of manufacturers can claim better numbers, when they're half as proven as Eneloops are I'll be interested.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
what about these GP Recykos ?
any good?.
those Vs Eneloops?.

AA AAA.
thanks.

Here's an informal/unscientific 'test' I did about 5 years back:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ut-Eneloops-GP-ReCyKos-and-Imedions-it-s-done!

26576210208_b05980f187.jpg

Mine from 2012, had that wrapper iteration and they're still in pretty good shape.

Same with the Imedions, but they're a little less 'LSD' than the other two, as you can see from my results.

Chris

Enderman

Enlightened
Definitely eneloops, don't cheap out on batteries to save money.
If you need high current and long runtime get the pros.
If you need many charge cycles get the regular white ones.

I bought pros because by the time I go through the 500 cycles, more than 5 years will have passed and there will be much better batteries I can replace them with.

DavisonDave

Newly Enlightened
I pretty much read Chibi's POWEREX section as stating that they're NOT Eneloops. Maybe somebody, somewhere, thought they were, so he listed them, or maybe he's just including all of the major players, I don't know, but there's no indication from his words that they're made in the FDK plant and are even LSD batteries.Chris

You can get POWEREX that are HSD or that are LSD. The LSD version is labeled as PRECHARGED and READY TO USE. They are a replacement for the Imedions that were discontinued. They are made in China so not Eneloops.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get POWEREX that are HSD or that are LSD. The LSD version is labeled as PRECHARGED and READY TO USE. They are a replacement for the Imedions that were discontinued. They are made in China so not Eneloops.

Thanks DD. I guess with my post above, I totally glossed over my Imedions, which are LSDish, made in China and PowerEx owned.

Anyhow, I kind of hated my Imedions in the beginning, but frankly, after 6 years, they've been better than many NiMH batteries that I blew my money on, initially and I had a good bunch of them.

Chris

dgbrookman

Newly Enlightened
I haven't had good luck with Powerex -- they fizzle out before giving as many charge cycles as I'd expect. But other people like them so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Of the second-tier brands Tenergy has performed OK. Amazon Basics are hit-or-miss. Amazon obviously doesn't make their own batteries so the Amazon Basics are inconsistent. At one time they were rebranded Eneloops but the latest batch of AAA that I bought from them were Chinese cells made by goodness knows who. Rayovac NiMH has performed poorly in my experience.

If you go over to Amazon there's a user called "NLee the Engineer" who does a lot of helpful reviews and comparisons of AA/AAA batteries. Worth reading his observations.

TL;DR -- just buy Eneloops and be done with it. :)

Last edited:

SweD

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dennis,

I pretty much read Chibi's POWEREX section as stating that they're NOT Eneloops. Maybe somebody, somewhere, thought they were, so he listed them, or maybe he's just including all of the major players, I don't know, but there's no indication from his words that they're made in the FDK plant and are even LSD batteries.

My buddy bought a C9000 right after I did in 2012, but instead of buying my AccuPower 2900/1200s, he went with PowerEx and he had a couple of his AAs fail quite early on. I'd never spend my money on them unless it was an emergency and there were all I could get.

I won't buy the AccuPower batteries, either, but I got close to 2.5-3 years out of 8 AAs and 8 AAAs before recycling them.

For the record, the worst batteries I bought when I revamped everything 6 years ago were my 8 Sanyo 2700 HSD 'made in Japan' AAs. I don't think that I even got 2 years out of them in light duty, before their I.R.s were through the roof.

Chris

We read it smilarly then, I never meant to say that he stated that Powerex are Eneloop Re-Wraps, that was never said, but I Did interpret his writing in such a way that they Are Re-Wraps, albeit of something other than Eneloops. Just got me curious, just know Maha states on their web site that they have a plant in Taiwan, which officially is called Republic of China, so perhaps it fits ayhow, considering I saw in the thread that Powerex's are at least some of them made in China.

/Dennis

DavisonDave

Newly Enlightened
I have some POWEREX HSD that came with chargers that say made in Japan. It looks like they are now being called pro. I've never had very good luck with them and some of them have died without a lot of use. They are labeled as 2700 mah could this be a rewrap of the Sanyos that Chris had? I was also given some POWEREX LSD that say "Tested and Quality Inspected in Taiwan Assembled in China" I take this as made in China. They are labeled as 2600 mah. They seem OK but I haven't had them long enough to know how they will hold up. When I buy NiMH I only buy Enellops.