Suggestions wanted: a Tailswitch activated single 18650 flashlight

Nubestube

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

i have been trolling the webiste for some years now and have finally registered to ask a question.

Will anyone suggest a quality single 18650 flashlight that is opeated via tailswitch? I am hoping for something a reasonable diameter for pocket carry, ~4" long, bezel down carry, and atleast an 1000 lumen turbo.

i have found flashlights that I consider awesome except for the lack of a tailswitch and in somecases violating bezel down carry; such as Olight S2, ZebraLight SC64w, Nitecore MH20.

The closest to the requirements stated above, I have found is the Olight M2T, It is however 5" long.

As an aside, why is the sideswitch popular on flashlights? I find it difficult to quickly transition from the pocket to High with a side switch. Bezel up with a sideswitch is only slightly faster than a twisty flashlight. (I realize my requirements may sound tacticool, but thou should never leave the house without shoes one can run in and all tools should be as intuitive to the body as possible. Crud happens wether we deserve it or not)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome
Since an 18650 battery is a little over 2.5 inches long, that leaves less than 1.5 inches for a tailswitch and driver/emitter/reflector or optic.

Can we assume you want a clicky tailswitch?

For such a small flashlight as you desire, thinking it is unlikely a 1000 lumens would be sustained for more than a few seconds. Perhaps you would be OK with less output?

Could you explain how a flashlight violates bezel-down carry? Many of us insist on that form. For me, it is a matter of finding a holster that will accept the flashlight. Can you put it in your pocket head-down?

A side switch flashlight is comfortable to carry in the palm of the hand and allows a finger to rest directly on the switch for efficient use. If the exterior design makes the switch area prominent, the switch can be found much quicker. The clip can also be used to index the location of the switch. In the case of headlamp 'carry', the flashlight is in a consistent position and the switch is easier to find. A side switch also allows for a flashlight to be shorter, as you know.

A flashlight without a reflector or optic would be more compact, however the useful range of light is much less. Are you looking for a general purpose beam?

Keitho

Enlightened
I think that side switches have their place because it is easier to make the lights shorter and lighter. The smallest 18650 light I know of is the zl sc63/4 series. One rides in my pocket every day because of its size, power, and runtime. To get a kinda-equivalent tail switch light, for me, the light is too big for a pocket, and I would have to move it to a holster. If I were concerned about tactical speed, I'd jump to an acebeam L16vn in a holster, and another weapon mounted with a remote tail switch. But, I live in the 'burbs and work in an office, so I practice pocket draw and side switch activation of my little light with my pinkey. It's not as clumsy as it sounds, after a few years of EDC.

Other people's pockets and tolerance for holsters are different than mine, but my pockets are crowded with the rest of my suburban EDC items...pen, knife, wallet, phone, keys, Starbucks card, PTA meeting agenda...

Nubestube

Newly Enlightened
All,
Thank you for the questions. I was hoping to find a unicorn so to speak.

The >1000 lumen turbo need not last for minutes. For the last few months I have been carrying a Protac 1aaa that puts out 115 lumen. It is awesome for the size ( little bigger than a pinky). I have been wishing to get more throw. The protac 1aaa has a floody beam which in my uses has limited reach in the darkness.

I am not a fan of belt holsters for flashlights, multitools, or cellphones. The flashlight for me must have a pocket clip that is capable of bezel down discrete pocket carry. So, the Olight S2 baton wont work for me.

The main reason I was enticed by the 18650 is the crazy long run times in low settings and the ability to use the NITECORE F1 charger as a battery backup for my phone. No sense in carrying a dedicated sealed battery backup containing a 18650 battery when one can carry a spare 18650 torch battery and a lightweight charger like the F1. I spend alot of time in airports and between job sites.

I think I will end up with the ZL sc64w and learn how to be quick with a side switch. I suppose i could start looking at 14500 or 10440 flashlights to reduce the overal size of the light, but low output run times will be much shorter.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think I will end up with the ZL sc64w and learn how to be quick with a side switch. I suppose i could start looking at 14500 or 10440 flashlights to reduce the overal size of the light, but low output run times will be much shorter.

What was the reason that the BOSS wouldn't work for you ?

If it is overall length, do be aware that you can interchange both a "35 tube" (18350) as well as a "70 tube" (18650, or 18350 x2) on that torch

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZebraLight is a sound choice and thinking you are on-target sticking with an 18650 flashlight. Just last week I was traveling with a Nitecore F1 charger, 12 volt car adapter with USB, and a short USB to micro USB cord.

If if you are using the clip to hold the flashlight in your pocket, you will have a good idea where the switch is when you pull it out. The raised area around the switch will also help.

Nubestube

Newly Enlightened
archimedes, I didn't realize you were referring to a flashlight. I initially took what you said as a possible reference to keitho's pocket contents as being a "boss" and "overready". I'm new to cpf and use to other forums such as Pirate4x4, where folks joke with each other.

Anyways, the overready boss truly is a boss. With its pricetag though I'd be nervous of losing it as an EDC light. If I ever get that 50k a year promotion I'm all over it.

Kitrobaskin, have you used the F1 with unprotected 18650s? I assume it will be okay as the F1 seems to have a cut-off voltage and at the very least warning lights.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, unprotected 26650 high (30) Amp Orbtronic but unprotected Sony VTC6 and VC7 while traveling last week. I have not taken any battery below 3.6V, however, using the F1 (And I always use a supplied elastic band to hold the battery in the charger).

archimedes

Flashaholic
archimedes, I didn't realize you were referring to a flashlight. I initially took what you said as a possible reference to keitho's pocket contents as being a "boss" and "overready". I'm new to cpf and use to other forums such as Pirate4x4, where folks joke with each other.

Anyways, the overready boss truly is a boss. With its pricetag though I'd be nervous of losing it as an EDC light. If I ever get that 50k a year promotion I'm all over it.

Haha, now I see it ... yes, @keitho (like myself and probably many others here) is probably "over ready like a boss" :laughing:

Between the joking around and the jargon, it's sometimes a wonder that anyone understands anything we all post. [emoji317]

Thanks for the laugh.

By the way, you may want to add a budget, or you might get suggestions like something from Cool Fall ;)