Can you recharge lithium batteries to 3.7V with just a power supply?

Skillhunt42

Newly Enlightened
I hope this forum is the right place to ask, it has come up everytime I googled for answers and you guys seem to know everything there is to know about batteries and then some.

I have a large number of LiPo and Li-ion camera batteries that I only want to use one time a year, but I don't want them to die in storage. I have read that it is best to charge Li batteries to 3.85 volts before storing them for extended periods. However, I don't have any chargers that stop at that voltage, and I also would like to charge a lot of batteries at the same time.

Can I just use a current limiting circuit and connect each battery to something like 3.85v at 250mA tops and leave them for a couple of hours?

Skillhunt42

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

By the way, is it correct that Li batteries store best at 3.85v?

Additionally, will a 250mA slow charge work just as well as a perfectly controlled charging, as long as you stay away from extreme circumstances? Like, not deep drained batteries, and not demanding to squeeze the final 1% of charge into the cell? A slow trickle charge (?) will just take longer?

What I will probably do is to put a circuit in that cuts off the power once the voltage reaches 3.85v and sounds an alarm so I can go put the next battery in the charger.

jimbo231

Enlightened
I hear best to store from 3.6v to 3.8v depending who your asking or where you reading the info......I've always heard 3.7v was approx 50%

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago before I got a lithium ion charger, I used my Agilent (HP) power supply with a home made battery socket. The power supply is kind of elaborate and I set the voltage to the 4.20v lithium ion charge limit and set the current limit to whatever I wanted to charge the battery at, for example 1 amp. The power supply would then perform a constant current of 1 amp until the voltage hit 4.20v and then the voltage would no longer climb and the current would start to decay. It was up to me to check on it periodically and turn it off. The rule of thumb for calling the battery charged is when the current hits 10% of the original constant charge current.

That got me by until I got a dedicated charger.