Why no P60 talk anymore?

ChibiM

Enlightened
I wonder why most people don`t buy or use P60 lights anymore.

Because ultimately a P60 has a few advantages, especially concerning cost, and ease of upgrade.

Although I only use 1 P60 light at the moment, they are still quite handy. If there is a new LED (with dropin), the replacement can be done in seconds.

I know the problems with heat dissipation etc, but for most instances we only need a few hundred lumens.

So what are the reasons you guys USE or DON`T USE P60 lights these days?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why most people don`t buy or use P60 lights anymore.

Because ultimately a P60 has a few advantages, especially concerning cost, and ease of upgrade.

Although I only use 1 P60 light at the moment, they are still quite handy. If there is a new LED (with dropin), the replacement can be done in seconds.

I know the problems with heat dissipation etc, but for most instances we only need a few hundred lumens.

It's still one of my favourite platforms.

While I agree about only needing a few hundred lumens or less most of the time my collection of 6P lights don't have a problem handling over a thousand, especially with a well wrapped drop in also considering most modern drivers have thermal control.
My most powerful drop ins are a 4.5A triple and 5A Quad which both handle great, sure they get hot but that's a sign that there's good thermal transfer.

There's nothing better than a 6P with a nice drop in when it comes to a 1x18650 powered light.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I use my custom 60k lux xpg2 de dome pflex pro drop in my 6p every day to work. I use it because it's the best,dependable thrower that i know of that is still pocketable and the modular parts are endless

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I think the next best thing for the p60 will be a xhp35 hi with a boost driver and single 18650. Cannot WAIT for that

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the next best thing for the p60 will be a xhp35 hi with a boost driver and single 18650. Cannot WAIT for that

My favourite so far is a triple XPE2 around 4500K @ 4.5A with a nice neutral tint. It has the best balance of output and throw from any of the multi emitter drop ins I've tried but I do like a single LED with a reflector too.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I been wondering this myself, with all the new emitters but no sales threads.
Ive also seen fewer p60 hosts on the market

bykfixer

Flashaholic
What kind of Yuji emitter? The only ones that I have used are their 5mm LEDs.

From the group buy. Well the P60 wasn't, but it came froma Yuji from the group buy.
Check out the Group Buy section for what I mean.

Used it in a NiteMods 3P clone body with a Laser Products tailcap and G2 head. Very nice little 2am nature call light.

Last edited:

Not-Required

Newly Enlightened
I love my sure fire 6p bored to accept 18650 with my pflexpro drop in. Use it everyday at work and at home.
2d041b057f533e54a046cbcd3e6b3bb1.jpg

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

Years ago, when I was questing for the perfect EDC light, I ignored P60 format lights because the head seemed too wide for comfortable pocket carry.

Once I'd satisfied my EDC needs, I began to look for lights to have around the property. Again, I ignored P60 format lights because these house lights were intended for other folks to use so complicated UIs or exotic batteries were undesirable.

Years later, my needs being met, I find that I've developed some curiosity about the lights that are historically significant to the flashlight community. The 6P was the start of something big and even with all the other lights that have come after it, it remains not just iconic, but still highly regarded despite being a decades old design. Part of that longevity is due to the ease of upgrading the light engine, so once I've burned out the bulb of the 6P I will be receiving shortly, I'm sure I'll buy a drop-in or two for it since that's part of the 6P experience.

If I remember this thread in a year, I'll come back and give my impressions.

--flatline

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kaidomain is making some P60 drop-ins with new-ish LED's. I picked up a neutral XP-L drop-in and that thing is pretty darn nice. Also one with a Nichia 219c, also pretty nice.

I kind of feel that no one is making awesome stuff on the P60 platform.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you hold a Malkoff Drop in, how can you not like the platform?

I can't tell you for sure since I haven't received the lights yet, but it is my suspicion that I will prefer the Malkoff drop-in in a VME head on an e-series body. Only time will tell.

--flatline