Flashlights and airport security

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried to get through airport security with a flashlight? Not your normal minimag but something more exotic like a Inova or Surefire? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif I wonder if the x-ray guy would think it was a bomb or something because of the batteries. Maybe the best way is to put it in the little coin bowl that you put your wallet and coins in.

It would suck to have the cops bust a cap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif on you for having a cool flash light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just came back from the Shotshow and I can tell you my bag of Flashlights that I took down and broght back went threw with no problems. It had ARCs, minimags, Surefires, mods and mods and mods....

That's at the San Jose and Las Vegas Airport. Others, might be different. Also, this was a local flight that did not leave or come from the continental US.

Wayne

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, you can find a very similar thread thread with a lot of responses here. The only problem I have ever had is with loose batteries when traveling in Mexico. Other than that, most security people usually don't give my lights a second glance.

-Mike

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dat2zip said:
I just came back from the Shotshow and I can tell you my bag of Flashlights that I took down and broght back went threw with no problems. It had ARCs, minimags, Surefires, mods and mods and mods....

That's at the San Jose and Las Vegas Airport. Others, might be different. Also, this was a local flight that did not leave or come from the continental US.

Wayne

[/ QUOTE ]

In reference to your last sentence Wayne, IF the flight did not come from or leave the Continental USA, HOW can it be a LOCAL flight???? Not to mention, what UFO did you use to get to and from the shotshow, or was that a transporter?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ibewno3

Newly Enlightened
I flew from JFK to Florida 2 weeks ago, and in NY they did look at my surefire E1E w/KL1 head. I turned it on they smiled, and i went on my merry way. In Florida they didnt give it a second look.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got home from a trip. I had to inspect a machine so I carried more than a normal amount of lights and batteries. Uhh whatever that quantity is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Long Island NY, 40 miles from "The City" (Manhattan), My bag passed with, Sony PDA and charger, GameBoy SP and charger, Legend AA with Mad Max, Legend AA with Opalec (EDC), Arc AAA (EDC), Brinkmann AAA with an Arc style solid reflector and a Brinkmann /Garrity hybrid. No problems, 3 123's in a carrier also. In my Jacket there was a "police" light from Golden Gadgets with a Luxeon and Micro Puck installed. That and my pocket watch tripped their trigger. The girl pulled the light out and looked at it soo confused. She started to unscrew the head. I told her to screw down the other end or push the button. After taking the head 1/2 off (lots of threads) she then opened the other end. Looked at the battery for about 30 seconds and then tried to shake the puck out, It was hardwired. She then turned it on finally and told the X-Rayer that it was a light after all. It took almost a whole minute for me to instruct her on how to turn it off. I almost got it handed back to me on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That was the most confused TSA screener I have seen to date.

It was hard to keep a straight face.

Maybe a sex toy light next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

IDANNY

Newly Enlightened
DELLED:
my INOVA X5 and SUREFIRE C2
Are OK in HONGKONG and TAIWAN airport /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help is on the way!

I'm trying to convert my buddy who is a TSA screener at San Jose, Ca airport into a flashaholic. He's seen and/or used my E2e, 9P, Stealthlite. He asked me a while back about getting the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon model.

After I get him hooked, I figure he can train the rest of the TSA staff at the airport.

GregR

jhereg

Enlightened
Last time I flew (December) I had an E2E, E1, Arc LS, X1, & a modified Surefire w/ L4 body, cell extender, e2c , a G2 head and a p91 LA. I had no comments at all on my flashlights.

Andy

Crux

Newly Enlightened
Haven't tried this one, do you think it'll pass? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
PICT0074.gif

utomatoe

Enlightened
I've had no problems with my streamlight scorpion for local, transborder (US/Canada) and international flights. Never questioned, my laptop got the most scrutiny usually.

Rant: The thing I hate most are TSA screeners who "insist" on "helping" me repack my bag, i.e. make a mess of it all.

For the screeners who even bothered to turn on the light.. bravo! I have yet to have a screener bother.

The sadest sight was a screener who seemed to be new at her job. Took a look at my SLR camera and wasn't sure what to do.

For the most part, I find they just take a look at things and that's it. A bag full of photographic equipment.. well it seems they just open the bag, pause... and then zip it back up.

Anyone try a nice 3D/4D modded maglite? Makes for a great tool for blinding (temporarily stunning) and nice blunt weapon, since LEDs are more rugged than a regular bulb.

i7r7

Newly Enlightened
I went on a domestic flight a few months ago, carried my SF G2. Chucked everything on me into the the xray scanner. I really wanted to see what my SF looks like but the guy intentionally kept getting in the way of the monitor.

Luckily, I had my Leatherman Micra in my wallet and the machine detected it. I pretended that I couldn't see it while I checked out the very nice silhouette of my SF.

Seeing as the body is plastic, there was only a very, very faint outline of the body. Darkened triangular area for the reflector, 2 sets of springs, very dark shaft in the middle (the metal conductive tube), another spring, tailcap button.

Wish I had a picture of that.

Btw, the guy didn't care at all about my SF, he was more concerned about the Micra.

Next time, I want to carry on a 10mcp spotlight, see how many eyebrows that raises... lol... I'm so immature around airport security /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been though with a couple McLux's, SF EXe's, and a SF L5 with no issues in EWR or MCO. The security people at PWM a few weeks back wanted to buy my E2e.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I flew both ways to SHOT with over 20 lights in a strange "bandoler" in my carry on. I wasn't even asked for a peek in the bag. A bunch of stainless clips had to be inspected on my return security check but the lights were no problem. A couple of the lights had castleated ends to boot.

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
...A couple of the lights had castleated ends to boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Very Interesting Post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks, Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Help is on the way!

I'm trying to convert my buddy who is a TSA screener at San Jose, Ca airport into a flashaholic. He's seen and/or used my E2e, 9P, Stealthlite. He asked me a while back about getting the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon model.

After I get him hooked, I figure he can train the rest of the TSA staff at the airport.

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

Nooooooo! Then they'd make some excuse to Take our cool lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Nooooooo! Then they'd make some excuse to Take our cool lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Then they'll have to pry it out of my Luxon-warmed hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to worry Mr. Bulk, I think I failed.

My TSA screener friend bought a Streamlight 3 Led that uses 3N cells. He wouldn't go for anything better and wouldn't go for a light using 123 cells cause he didn't want to get a light that uses expensive batteries.

GregR