18650 as c-cell alternative?

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
Sorry of this is a well trodden path. However I've searched on here and on youtube.

I have a 3x c cell flashlight that I really like. I also have some brand new, very expensive 18650 cells.

Is it possible to replace 3x cells with 1x 18650?

I have done some battery swapping before (swapping 6x d cells for 2x 26650) but unsure if this will work?

Thanks in advance.

If this is a non starter, any recommendations on a great, bright, single 18650 I could buy?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Sorry of this is a well trodden path. However I've searched on here and on youtube.

I have a 3x c cell flashlight that I really like. I also have some brand new, very expensive 18650 cells.

I have done some battery swapping before (swapping 6x d cells for 2x 26650) but unsure if this will work?

Thanks in advance.

If this is a non starter, any recommendations on a great, bright, single 18650 I could buy?

I don't have any advice on purchasing 18650s but I will say you should be able to get the 18650 to replace 3C cells as long as keep in mind the safety quirks of lithium ion batteries in use.

RCTPAVUK

Newly Enlightened
as long as voltage comes up the same, and you make a tube of sort to keep the cells aligned properly you should be ok.

as per single 18650 light, you gotta choose what you want :throw or spill, size of the head, etc...
great advice: go to each website of a reputable manufacturer like Fenix, Nitecore, Acebeam, Eagletac, Jetbeam, Klarus, Olight, Thrunite, and what not, and see their product lines.

I for one would get Nitecore P30, P12, or Convoy C8. Convoy makes great lights for the money, and if budget is your modus operandi, go for it.
Also note that no lights are created equal, same goes for the LEDs.
Watch or read some reviews of the lights you like, there's a lot on youtube as well as here.
cheers

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3x c cell flashlight that I really like.

Voltage of single 18650 is pretty much same as 3 alkaline C cells under load. Therefore it is possible to replace it instead of 3C cells.
If you really like form factor of 3C, it is possible to use some spacer to fill up extra space or even have someone to shorten your 3C to 1x18650 similar to this:

IMG_0744_zps4654dab5.jpg~original

Shorty in the right:
Shortened M*g 3C to size of 1x18650. Complete black type III hard reanodized.
I have some. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

gnappi

Newly Enlightened
Single mode? Multi mode?

I can't help on multi mode types because I absolutely cannot abide multi mode lights and I have a devil of a time finding single mode or models that have a memory. I need to be able to lock out the multi flashing modes so instead I bought a bunch of Comunite 501-b (single 18650) types at ~$9 delivered. I have some silly priced lights but rarely use them any more since finding these.

[h=2][/h]