Fluke multimeters: which one do you prefer?

What style of DVOM (DMM) do you prefer

• Total voters

Schermann

Newly Enlightened
I have and prefer the Fluke 88V.

2a918hf.jpg

:)

Continued from this thread...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ew-Fluke-187-or-87-5-which-do-you-rather-have

:hitit:

Last edited:

marcosg

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Is anyone familiar with this multimeter (Amprobe AM-570) compared to the Fluke 115 and the Fluke 179.
I need to buy a new one for my son.
He likes electronics mostly.

Thanks

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Flukeaholics...............
One at home
4BuMokxl.jpg

Work provided..............good enough and true RMS / CATIII/IV
nU6MyXil.jpg

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm too poor for a FLUKE, so it's a Rat Shack 22-805 and a Philips ECG BM-59.

When they ask me to design the next gen cold fusion reactor, I'll roll some pennies and get a Fluke.

Chris

fmc1

Enlightened
Back when bought this in 1996 it was the DMM by which all others were judged. I had it calibrated last year so it's still spot on. What more can you ask for?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
87V works well for me, most of the time, but it is a bit big sometimes. in my toolbag I carry a credit card sized thing (slightly bigger than credit card) that works well enough to find out whats what most of the time, and no one wants to steal it. My old RS has been used still sometimes but the switches all need contact cleaner. Several other meters kicking around here, but usually the 87V is sitting out so it is easy to grab. The 289 is a monster and tends to sit in its bag which is a shame really. If I need two meters then I'm tracking down another one, but mostly I can live with one. I don't do much electronics anymore, but having a good meter or two available is always a good idea. The poll seems a bit silly since scope vs. meter really should depend on the application, one hardly replaces the other although scopes with a separate internal meter circuit can often substitute on the bench. Pretty much the same for the clamp.

Schermann

Newly Enlightened
The poll seems a bit silly since scope vs. meter really should depend on the application, one hardly replaces the other although scopes with a separate internal meter circuit can often substitute on the bench. Pretty much the same for the clamp.

...No; the poll covers all combination of choices not just one!

I personally did not want a clamp or a scope, I wanted a meter because Fluke scopes are very expensive and offered features I did not need nor wanted to pay for! My 88V alone suits my needs perfectly hence the dfferentiation in the poll. The poll allows for multiple selections any way so all options are covered...

2whqzxs.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Schermann

Newly Enlightened
The debate rages about True RMS but in my case its only ever DC pure sign wave so the 88V Automotive choice was obvious...

2AGr0.jpg

HKJ

Flashaholic
The debate rages about True RMS

True RMS is really useful if you want to measure current on mains connected equipment (A power meter would often be more useful).
My favorite Fluke meter is the 189, followed by the 289. For a more simple meter I sometimes use a 179.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to know which meter I'd prefer as once you buy a nice meter, you tend to keep it for many years........if not decades.

My main goto meter is a Fluke 87V. I have the Beckman Circuitmate DM25L that I got when in school. I have a cheap $10 Craftsman that is the loaner or for times when working in grungy locations, I don't want to take my expensive Fluke. I also have an Agilent 34401A 6 1/2 digit bench meter and I use a Tektronix TDS460A scope which is getting dated now but still works for what I need it for.

Schermann

Newly Enlightened
I don't quite understand it myself but these DVOMs can be a thing of beauty as long as the usual garish overloading of visual functionality can be at most subtly avoided! 😇

214pa50.jpg

😎

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I ever been without a Multimeter somewhere around. I grew up with an Analog Avometer, then a Mega Electrician's Meter. Now I use a Fluke 75 mk3 and a Fluke 106 for when I'm doing live sound work, not as robust as the 75, but good for checking cables and batteries without a big fuss. Soundmen need to be heard but not noticed.
P

Last edited:

Schermann

Newly Enlightened
Wow, there are some people who do exist that are obsessed with these things...

more-dumpster-diving

Latest posts