NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        

Thread: New 2018 Fenix PD35 V 2.0?

Default New 2018 Fenix PD35 V 2.0?

Anybody else order one? I pre-ordered mine, hoping it ships tomorrow. Hoping this is a decent upgrade from my older 850 lumen PD35. I'm assuming it should be more efficient at least. I'm just hoping it has decent spill and its not all throw. Hoping to see a review on this soon.
    Last edited by Power Driver; 03-06-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Flashaholic

Default Re: New 2018 Fenix PD35 V 2.0?

It's definitely not a throwy light compared to dedicated throwers but will be an improvement on throw compared to what you have...nice switch upgrade too ....do you have the 850 lumen one or the upgraded 960 lumen? Great bright lights for EDC ...
    Last edited by jimbo231; 03-06-2018 at 03:11 PM.
    Woman prefer guys with bright torchs!
    Ultrafire C3 XR-E P4 with extesion tube,Ultrafire HS-802, Solarforce L2r w/Solarforce XR-E R2 dropin, Eagletac P20A2 Mark II R5, Fenix E05 R2, Fenix TK40, Fenix E15, Fenix Stainless LD01

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo231 View Post
    It's definitely not a throwy light compared to dedicated throwers but will be an improvement on throw compared to what you have...nice switch upgrade too ....do you have the 850 lumen one or the upgraded 960 lumen? Great bright lights for EDC ...
    I do have the older 850 lumen which is actually rated close to 1000 lumens, however it doesn't last long, so hoping this new PD35 gives me some longer runtimes w/better throw while still keeping decent flood. We'll see...

I am thinking about it. I know i dont need it. I got one fenix pd35 and one tk15ue. Both rated somewhere around 1000 lumen.. the new version is great deal, because you can add cpf8 code and save you $6 more.

Question Re: New 2018 Fenix PD35 V 2.0?

There are two questions:

1. Is it CW only?
    2. Does this picture mean active thermal regulation? Will it run at max 1000lm in cold environment? And what the runtime would look then?

Last edited by vadimax; 03-07-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Flashaholic

Interesting oscillations on turbo for the first hour. Reminds me of the runtime graphs on the newer gen 4 Zebralights (here).

I just received mine today. Very nice light. Beam pattern is similar to the TK15 Ultimate Edition but new PD35 has less throw and slightly more flood (as expected). Tint is just slightly whiter than my TK15 UE which has a slight creamy yellow tint to it. Hot spot is slightly larger on PD35. The new PD35 is a good all around light with some improved run times. Thumbs up from me.
    Last edited by Power Driver; 03-09-2018 at 10:25 PM.

This is not only on my wish list, I've ordered one. It was a tough choice with all the new lights that became available since the beginning of the year, and not only from Fenix, but eventually my choice fell on this one. I can hardly wait...! Hope it's a decent upgrade from the previous model, which was already good.

This model and the new XHP35 TK35 are two Fenix lights that have actually caught my attention. Would like to see some beam pics of them.
    Last edited by Tac Gunner; 03-14-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

Quote Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
    This model and the new XHP35 TK35 are two Fenix lights that have actually caught my attention. Would like to see some beak pics of them.
    I was thinking of posting some beam pics like I did before with the FD30 and FD41 I have, but then, I'm not a pro photographer, so maybe we should wait for a professional review. Hope we see one of those soon! The TK35 is also very much on my wish list, @Tac.

Unenlightened

I had been looking into getting the V2.0 since I had the older version. But with the specs it offers and everything it's just not worth it imo. There are many better offerings out there in this price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Divisi0n8672 View Post
    I had been looking into getting the V2.0 since I had the older version. But with the specs it offers and everything it's just not worth it imo. There are many better offerings out there in this price range.
    I'm in the same boat. I have the original PD35 850lm but yeah there are so many other choices at this price point.

Of you guys with the PD35 V2 and are also familiar with other Fenix models, how stiff is the tail cap switch? Beginning with (I think) the PD32,2016 edition, Fenix made the tail cap switch a lot stiffer to push. And I saw that also with the LD12, 2017 edition. I know there was quite a discussion on CPF about the tail cap stiffness when the PD32, 2016 model came out and I was just curious if this new PD35 V2.0 switch has the same feel as those or if its more similar to the original PD35 and other Fenix models?

Quote Originally Posted by hoabegrubn View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I have the original PD35 850lm but yeah there are so many other choices at this price point.
    I have the PD32 and never felt the need for a 35, or any of those variants.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

I upgraded from my UC35 three days ago and must say I'm impressed. The tail switch seems a bit stiffer (could be the age of my UC35, that has been my EDC for about three years I believe) but I do know I love the new metal side switch. It is easy to find with your finger no fumbling as you draw it from your pocket. The status light is an interesting touch but I don't know if it is useful or really a gimmick.

The light is a bit shorter in length due to not having a USB charger which is nice and it might run a little cooler but I couldn't really say for sure. It certainly is brighter and may throw a longer beam than my UC35 does...

I'm using an 18650 3500mah battery and can't tell yet about run time but I do know it does light up my pre dawn jogs very nicely...this light suits my needs exactly.
    Last edited by saftydiver; 04-21-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saftydiver View Post
    The tail switch seems a bit stiffer but I do know I love the new metal side switch. It is easy to find with your finger no fumbling as you draw it from your pocket. The status light is an interesting touch but I don't know if it is useful or really a gimmick.
    I personally don't find the tail switch unduly stiff to operate, but I cannot specifically compare it with any other. About the side switch - I used my light outside this past weekend, and I found that I had to roll the light around in my hand to find the switch. Here the status light was definitely a plus - I just made sure that I searched for it immediately after switching on. Another solution I implemented, was to position the body clip directly in line with the side switch. This eliminated my "problem". Apart from these minor niggles I love my PD35!

I just received mine today. I absolutely love it. The tail switch is stern which is great, i dislike the mushy switches, the click has authority to it. The side button is aces it feels like quality, not a cheap button some flashlights have on the side. No rattling of any part of the light when shaken, everything seems to have tight tolerances. Fits in the hand like a dream and is compact that you could edc this light without much of an issue. Also love the 5 different outputs the light has, it basically has you covered for any type of lighting situation that may arise throughout the day no matter what you do for a living/hobby. At the price point you'd be hard-pressed to find an excuse not to love it. -- I think this will out-sell the PD35 Tac and actually be the Tac killer as it offers everything the Tac did and more... (especially way greater efficiency with the runtimes.) --- Sure you dont have "tac" mode on this light, but it is rather unnecessary, as this light has memory so if you are in law enforcement just turn the light off in turbo mode (1,000 lumens) and the next time you turn the light on, it will come on at 1,000 lumens. You dont have to fondle with the side switch or anything... still very "tactical".... and the great thing is, if it isn't an emergency or tactical situation such as a car stop, you have all the other modes to choose from whether it be do a canvass for a weapon/ shell casings or illuminate an ID. I feel as though this light is a do-all and worth every penny. Will be carrying this with me tomorrow at work!

Side-note... I use to have the original PD35 from years and years ago... maybe 10 years ago? Not sure exactly but I believe it was a version that only accepted cr123s ... lost it a long time ago but I use to love that light... So glad Fenix has progressed the light this far, really wondrous what advancements in technology can be made in a small period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by colight View Post
    Another solution I implemented, was to position the body clip directly in line with the side switch. This eliminated my "problem". I love my PD35!
    I thought lining up the clip with the side switch was a given! I do agree about loving this light.

Anyone else notice that the Fenix PD35 V2.0 claims 2 hours and 50 minutes at 1000 lumens and the PD35 V1.0 only claims 1 hour and 10 minutes?

Pretty amazing upgrade for going from a Cree XP-L V3 to V5. Are they just playing games using a much more powerful battery? Can anyone verify a significant difference in runtime? Or maybe it's just a typo?

The new Fenix PD35 V2.0 uses a newer more efficient LED (XP-L HI V3) than the previous PD35's. Runtimes should be a little longer, plus Fenix tested the light using a 3500mah battery.

Iíve been out off the boards here for years but Iíve tried to follow along. Is the PD35 a must have now a days for flashlight addicted people?

Quote Originally Posted by Djblank80 View Post
    Iíve been out off the boards here for years but Iíve tried to follow along. Is the PD35 a must have now a days for flashlight addicted people?
    I cannot definitely say that this will be THE one to have, but I do have this V2.0 and I am very happy with it. I am not a reviewer, and run times are not that important to me, but in general I love my light. However, I am just a little disappointed that I didn't know about the imminent release of the UC35 V2.0 when I bought my light. IMO the UC35 V2.0 is in some aspects just that little better than the PD35 V2.0, but that's just me...

the 35 2.0 is awesome! Fenix created an entire new category of flashlight when the released the first PD35 thousands of years ago. I actually am very impressed with my 2.0. It is IP68 rated even. When Fenix rates their lights IP68 they mean it. I tried to be brave and put a new emitter in one of my newer IP68 Fenix lights(cannot remember the model at the moment or even find it)and wow! That was a big mistake. The new IP68 Fenix and Nitecores must be driving Vinh up the wall.

Curious if any of you guys find the little green battery indicator light annoying? I was tempted to upgrade my PD35 TAC, but the idea of the new button with the green light makes me think twice. I know it sounds stupid and 99.9% of us on here technically don't need a tactical light for "tactical" purposes....but it just seems like one extra unnecessary bell/whistle.

Your thoughts?

OP the original "850" lumen PD35 actually puts 1000 lumens out the front. Fenix vastly underrated their own light upon the PD35's premiere. Max power output between the original PD35, the TAC, the 2014 and the V2.0 is actually the same at 1000 lumens give or take 30 lumens really. So what is the big difference between the original "850" and the new V2.0? The new V2.0 is full IP68 ANSI rated. It is now both waterproof to a certain depth for a certain amount of time as well as dustproof. Notice that near ALL of Fenix product catalog has gone IP68. This is a VERY big deal. They are built like tanks. Even the cheaper IP68 rated newer Fenix lights are tanks.

I do not find the green indicator light annoying at all. What else is different? Everything really. The separate modes now last a lot longer than before plus the XP-L emitter. The electronics in the PD35 has always been very good. Now it is even better. OP if you are really out to get as MUCH OUTPUT as possible out of your "850" or any other PD35(as far as I know)use 2xpower sources in it. For example 2xCR123/RCR123 pushes the "850" to near 1100 lumens out the front at max.

Check the reviews section for all the PD35 reviews over the years and you will see the same result from 1xpowersource and 2xCR123. I suggest CR123's and NOT 2xRCR123's as I do not believe the light is designed to be capable of handling 8.4 volts that 2x charged RCR123s would give you but it works either way.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by colight View Post
    I cannot definitely say that this will be THE one to have, but I do have this V2.0 and I am very happy with it. I am not a reviewer, and run times are not that important to me, but in general I love my light. However, I am just a little disappointed that I didn't know about the imminent release of the UC35 V2.0 when I bought my light. IMO the UC35 V2.0 is in some aspects just that little better than the PD35 V2.0, but that's just me...
    Trust me, you're not missing out on anything. I bought the UC35 V2.0 and the mode button fell out in just a week's time. I Googled the issue to find out that I wasn't the only one to face this issue. I've returned it for a PD35 V2.0