NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oveready DIP P60 8 Mode Group Dropin

Default Re: Oveready DIP P60 8 Mode Group Dropin

If durability isn't absolutely critical I would choose this over a M61T. The beam pattern is similar but you get better tint and a flexible UI.

Durability is not my focus as this would be more for fun and to round out my floodier lights.

I really like the tint and flexibility of this platform. Looks like I am going to order one soon!
    Last edited by tech25; 05-13-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    Where does this fit in to your lights? (Thrower,general use) Does it replace anything?
    Sounded like this question was directed to scout24, but it is such a good one that it would be nice to hear others respond as well. It may take more time for members to be able to answer this, however.

It's looking like this DIP will stay in a favorite Oveready host: a Z2 natural anodized, with the question of which bezel to use. The switch is made for higher amperage and has been enhanced by PFlexPRO, which means it was disassembled, smoothed and lubed for maximum conductivity and long life. This will replace an XPL HI Advanced Program, 5000K single emitter dropin made by PFlexPRO, because I now have a quad from Randy with the same (slightly improved tint) XPL LED's and the Crescendo UI in a (now discontinued) 22650 host made by Oveready.

It it will be used on crepuscular walks, when a paired thrower/area-light is not desired; mostly predawn, walking into morning light when a flashlight will not be needed for much of the time; Also late afternoon walks when there is a probable likelihood illumination will not be needed and yet it is good to be prepared. For this reason, light weight is preferred so the bezel choice will probably be an Oveready Smoothie with a titanium ring.

This will also be used as a reference color temperature and tint to compare with other light sources.

Guessing 65% of CPF members and 85% of guests will consider the above comments quite daft... hey, no problem.

I have realised something ........

I need to go on an OR hi cri walk with Kitro at night

I'm up for that, as long as you don't snore on the plane.
    Can imagine Mrs. Yeti's face if I announced I was flying to New Mexico to look at a torch? With a bloke I met on a Torch Forum?
    The mind boggles.
    P

Would be an honor, just bring some of your outstanding torches, both of you.

Last night the wife had (her usual) Nitecore TIP CRI on a Nite-Ize modified head strap, the DIP was in my hand, while 8 year old son was sporting a green lightsaber AND a blue lightsaber connected to each other like a staff (fun when he spins it around fast) while the venturesome canine was wearing a 2 inch wide, 3M Diamond Grade reflective tape in the awesome color BLUE for an easy-to-detect (with a flashlight) collar. The tape adheres to a 2 inch tubular nylon base but another one I made has a 2.75 inch kydex base collar for close encounters of the biting kind. Video to come...

Go to coyotevest website to see how poodles armor up!

Did I say the DIP won again last night?

Update

XPL DIP optic drops are ready to ship
    https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/...60-dropin-xpl/
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    Update

XPL DIP optic drops are ready to ship
    Oh snap. My order just shipped with the 219c model so it's about an hour late for me. How much of a difference is there in lumens and lux?
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Random Dan,
    Sorry I do not have the information you seek. Have you figured it out? For me, the tint and color rendering is what makes this appealing but it is understandable some will want more light. Since I already have XPL HI dropins, this Nichia DIP is a nice change, and really not so much less than the XPL from my perspective.

Noticed this on the Nichia DIP page on the Oveready site:

Caution: direct drive on high mode, do not use with both 18650’s and low resistance tailcaps

Whether using 18650GA or Sony VC7 or VCT6 or VTC5, this puppy heats up with lower resistance switches on 100% in less than a minute from cool. Even 30% gets quite warm with continued use after maybe 5-10 minutes or so, depending on ambient temperature.

Wondering what folks are using to change mode configurations. A not-too-pointy toothpick works pretty well, especially if used kind of like a pool cue, pushing somewhat in line with the length of the wood.

Even though the 'honeymoon' is kind of over, it is still getting a lot of use, due to the nice color rendering and pretty browns it creates. Carrying an additional dedicated thrower with it handles the longer distances we encounter.

Just got done with an evening stroll and had a chance to compare my new DIP with some old favorites.

Compared to the Elzetta AVS on 1x18650 , the DIP has a larger, brighter hotspot and brighter forward spill, but less peripheral brightness. The overall lumen output seems similar to my PFlexPro reflector dropin which also runs a 4000K 219c, but the DIP puts more of its light downrange and less into the spill. The DIP was no match for a Malkoff Hound Dog in long range though. I wasn't able to get any pictures to turn out, but I'll try again tomorrow.

Currently I'm running the DIP in my new Z35 but I may need to move it to an 18650 host because it eats through an aspire 18350 real fast.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    Thanks- I am looking for somewhat of a thrower to supplement my M61N mostly for fun.

I am debating between this, an M61T or a convoy c8 from mountain electronics. I like the optics options, the color and the ability to switch mode groups on the DIP and I have an empty P60 host...
    The design goal of the DIP Optic is not a 'I've got 10 lights at home, which should I bring to a throw light job' kind of light. But more of a 'this light is small enough to carry often and is good when I need range while doing so'. So it offers remarkable throw for such a small OD light but is meant to be small enough to EDC. So it won't reach into the hundreds of yards that a 'to large to EDC' dedicated thrower will but is still much more throwy than a flooder like a mule or triple.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Oh snap. My order just shipped with the 219c model so it's about an hour late for me. How much of a difference is there in lumens and lux?
    Let me know if you'd prefer XPL, i can swap you out.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Got my xpl 4000k throw in today. With a 30q i measured 4.5amps. 30kcd with mcclicky and 38kcd with OR zero rez. The beam pattern is very similar to the malkoff m61t,m61hot and m91t drop ins, focused round hotspot with square corona. High is direct drive, med has visible/audible pwm, low and dim appears to use pwm also but not visible or audible. Its cool seeing something new for the p60 fans out there. What i find interesting is 38kcd is what my direct drive smooth reflector xpl hi drop ins measure also and the dip has a regular domed xpl. I wonder what candela a xpl hi would come in at since the throw optic seems to focus more light than the reflector. Can't figure out what kind of hybrid nemory they went with, guess i need to mess with it more. Overall cool dropnin. Here's a couple beams shots comparing to a malkoff m61hot.

About 60ft to trampoline

M61hot 17kcd

Dip throw xpl 4k 38kcd
    Last edited by Jose Marin; 05-18-2018 at 11:47 PM.
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Nice beam shots, thanks Jose.
    Shame about the PWM, although not being a Mode Monkey, I'd set it to High only, anyway.
    P

Seems like it uses on time to decide what mode is next.
    On less than 2 seconds - next time on will be next mode
    On more than 3 seconds - next time on will be the first mode in the group

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marin View Post
    …low and dim appears to use pwm also but not visible or audible.
    Perhaps rephrasing might be helpful. If low and dim have no visible or audible PWM, then how can they appear to use PWM?

I was not looking for PWM until after reading this post today. Nothing seen with any technique I usually use to see it. Can you show proof how you detected something?

Years ago I had a Photon Pro. It gave a sound on some modes. There was a dropin purchased from a then-popular modder a few years ago that also had sound when it was near running water from a faucet (?!)

Having read here on CPF about inductor whine being more common than perceived, I believe that's what's happening. I also remember reading that inductor whine is not necessarily because of any PWM. It is only audible with my sample on the 30% mode setting. Wondering if all configurations that include 30% will have the faint sound.

It might not be visible to everyone but 30% i can see very easily by waving it in my periferial vision. The trick i learned from a post on this forum a while ago that i used for low and dim is turn my cell phone camera on and aim the light right into the lens, if you see lines going across then it's pwm. I use that trick for setting a certain medium mode that doesnt use pwm in my p60s that have th e h17f driver

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...a-camera-phone
    Last edited by Jose Marin; 05-19-2018 at 11:12 PM.

This dropin is really easy to modify and is very well made! Just installed a MTN-17DDm driver with guppydrv3 firmware.

Here's a picture of the factory driver with the retaining ring removed.

Wow, easiest mod in the World. Does Guppydrive avoid PWM?
    P

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Wow, easiest mod in the World. Does Guppydrive avoid PWM?
    P
    I believe it still uses pwm but it's a very high frequency. I can't see or hear it in any mode. The upgrade for me is more flexible programming and I don't have to remove it to change the programming.

Update

DIP Optic Drops, ready to ship in XPL
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Got this module a few days ago. I like the shape of the beam, control and shade. I put it in the body UniqueFire M2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmGx2_hEOC8

During the installation process, I noticed that the metal part of the module leaves small scratches on the optical part of the module. I don't care, because I did not notice the effect of these scratches on the shape of the beam. I'm wondering, is there some kind of thermal control? The first thing I decided to check is my battery life - in 20.58 launched the maximum mode, in 22.23 activated Battery protection (dim then cutoff at 2.8v). When I took out the battery, I saw that the shell had partially melted.

By the way, about PWM, I never noticed him here, but I heard it when I had some problems with the button and manually closed https://youtu.be/ChGB8J_HbFw it is clearly audible at 30%, when the cap is screwed in - silence

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12