Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: Fashion Over Function, for OE Lighting?

Flashaholic*

Default Fashion Over Function, for OE Lighting?

https://www.carlightblog.com/2018/03...ght-prospects/

From Osram's lighting blog:

...Design is currently the driving force behind automotive lighting technology...“Light is the new chrome” – that’s how Süddeutsche Zeitung recently described a trend in the automotive industry...

...There are several reasons why lighting developers still often vent their frustration over a glass of beer or wine. The most important one is probably that their work doesn’t involve light itself often enough. Its quality, in other words aspects such as range and homogeneity, enjoys low priority. If anything at all, it’s the color that counts, and there has to be as much blue as possible....

...Are “Welcome modes” with bright carpets of light around the car, animated rear lights and similar physiological tripe really a sign of good design? Or even technical expertise?...

Default Re: Fashion Over Function, for OE Lighting?

I know a vast number of people who have trained and studied in their field, only to find their "dream job" and find themselves stymied by the constraints of the real world. Good lights (sadly) don't sell cars - good styling does. After all, what percentage of test drives even take place after dark?

The engineers usually get asked the very nearly impossible: Make a functional (that is, legal) lamp that fits in THIS SPACE RIGHT HERE and LOOKS LIKE THIS, and they've got to figure out a way to make it work. Finding bulbs hard to change, even on headlamps? Thank the stylists and marketers.

Flashaholic*

The new 2019 GMC Sierra pickup truck has LED front lighting styling that veers toward ugly, IMO. It also has the requisite "intimidating" grill that many pickup buyers like. At night, the LED lighting package will also be "intimidating", I assume.

Some photos of the lighting package here:
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/03...erra-1500.html

The front headlamp appears to have 5 functional elements: DRL, low beam, high beam, turn signal, parking lamp. Am I seeing this correctly?
    http://cars.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8345...2dee7b7970c-pi

Interesting to see a critical article like this on Osram's blog; Osram is sort of "soaking in it" (they supply a lot of those "as blue as possible" LEDs, and I bet the shareholders are perfectly happy with the results).