Pila 150S and SF M3

Manila

Newly Enlightened
anyone using this combo?

I'm having the spring problem and got the new spring from Jon but am afraid on what to do next.

do I just ripoff the original spring and place the new one?

if I take the original spring out, is there a way to put it back or its as good as broke?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the original P90 lamp. I just ordered 2 150S batteries from john to try in a 3Z, I'll be using the standard P90 lamp

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure it's the spring and not the added length of the Pila's? Try using 3x123 and see if it lights up and report back here. The Pila's are noticeably longer than 1.5x123 and two of them may exacerbate the problem. Your switch may be bottoming out on the battery instead of making contact with the body.

CM

Manila

Newly Enlightened
tried just putting in the new spring since its bigger and is installed on the outer ring of the tailcap cover

problem is that the light stays on constantly with the tailcap screwed in and can't be turned off

with the original springs, the tailcap has to be unscrewed until almost totally unscrewed

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had posted about this a long time ago in another thread. The spring goes around the stock lamp spring, not the tailcap spring. The purpose of the spring is that the Pila spring has a large inside diameter that will accomodate the larger diameter Pila batts. The problem is that the Pila batts are sufficiently wider than 123's to prevent the Surefire LA spring from coming into contact with the body of the light. All the Pila spring wrapped around the LA spring does it that it bridges the gap allowing contact.

All you're doing by putting the spring in the tail cap is furhter compressing the LA cathode spring.

Look, try this and see if it works, as a trouble shooting measure. Feed the batts into the light through the front end with the tail cap on. Put in the first battery. Take the second battery and work it into the spring of the LA. It can be coaxed in. The batt will them be sort of stuck in the spring. Now just screw the bezel onto the body with the batt stuck in the spring. This should allow the cathode spring to come into contact with the body and you should have light.

BTW, LA = lamp assembly

Manila

Newly Enlightened
Chop,

it works!!! Thanks for the tip. I've been trying the spring in the wrong end.

Only thing though is the Pila spring does not wrap around the Lamp Assembly. It sits on top of the original spring of the Lamp Assembly.

Should I pry the Pila spring a bit to make sure it wraps around?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manila,

The Pila spring is only supposed to be wrapped around the stock LA spring. I wouldn't worry about anything if it works. Just twist the Pila spring around the Surefire spring and you'll be good to go.

Manila

Newly Enlightened
i opened up the bezel to fix the pila spring but apparently the spring fixed itself

Thanks Chop

Latest posts