Replacement battery for Streamlight Twin Task 2L

davemp

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Streamlight Twin Task 2L 350 lumen flashlight. It uses two CR123A batteries. It doesn't mention being able to use any other battery. I was curious if a 18650 would fit. I tried and it doesn't. Does anyone know if there is a safe alternative rechargeable battery that I can use in this light? Thank you, davemp

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a Streamlight Twin Task 2L 350 lumen flashlight. It uses two CR123A batteries. It doesn't mention being able to use any other battery. I was curious if a 18650 would fit. I tried and it doesn't. Does anyone know if there is a safe alternative rechargeable battery that I can use in this light? Thank you, davemp

Where do you live? Makes a difference in shipping/availability.

Sanyo's 2500mAh 16650 4.35v (v.2) naked cell. Charge it up with a standard 4.20v charger and see if the light fires up. If it does and you don't have a 3.8v/4.35v charger, order a Liitokala Lii 100 4.35v multi-chem charger for $4.00.

Chris

Last edited:

davemp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.The Streamside CR123A batteries themselves are marked 3 volts. So the battery size mentioned may be too much. I just started getting interested in flashlights and I'm not sure what I can use this kind of application.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies.The Streamside CR123A batteries themselves are marked 3 volts. So the battery size mentioned may be too much. I just started getting interested in flashlights and I'm not sure what I can use this kind of application.
The individual cells are marked three volts, but the light puts them in series, so they present six volts to the driver circuitry. Since an LED's forward voltage (the voltage needed to light up) is three+ volts, the driver circuit is most likely a buck circuit, that is one that is designed to output a lower voltage than the one input. Depending on how the circuit is designed, the lower input voltage from a single LiIon cell may be dropped below the forward voltage of the LEDs, which means no light. On the other hend, since there are no modes available to the TT 2L, just various combinations of LEDs being turned on, there may not be a driver circuit at all, in which case the single LiIon cell should work just fine. The only way to find out for sure is to try it.