Olight - S1 - MINI        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blast from the past thread

Default Re: Blast from the past thread

Good deal Kamagong. Classics never go outta style.

So here's the light that got me understanding that a minimag with a lightbulb and new batteries was a birthday candle compared to the stuff available in about 2013/14.

The Coast HP7 (titanium color)
    Oh, I suppose this one will cause some scoffs, or perhaps a couple of laughs. Yet this offspring of the once mighty LED Lenser P7 won't no joke on a construction site at 2am. The one in the photo has probably received more abuse than all my other lights combined and aint never flinched. With all those blu-mens in a direct drive lighting tool this one has certainly earned its keep.

Whatever the emitter is that sucker was amazing.
    Being a zoomie that didn't put out a square beam, when zoom'd all the way out it was pure light spread. Zoom'd in meant a heckuva a throw. All kindsa ugly in between.

Using supplied batteries you could watch it dim. But throw in some Eneloop Pro cells...

Things are vastly different with these.
    They were available in a clam shell package at big box stores or in a nice gift box from Coast. A call to their 1-800 number got you a nice lanyard at no cost and if the light failed they'd send you a new one.

The pictured light has been riding in my work vehicle since new. Three vehicles and a couple hundred thousand miles later it still works like new. Back then Coast boasted 360 lumens when 250 was the high water mark in consumer lighting tools. It was a pocket sized 3D Mag for a few more coins and a gateway to many a budding flashaholic.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-11-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    John 3:16

How about that Inova X0 by Emissive Energy?

AR coated glass lens, stainless bezel, tir optic, HA Ty 3 coating. Circa 2004 this little number was pretty sweet. The ringy pencil beam was loved by some, hated by others according to past threads here at cpf. I suppose near $60 must've been seen as expensive for this US made (pre-Nite Ize) light. And don't forget to put the CR123's in backwards. It is reported it had a 1.2 watt Luxeon but I've yet to find the lumen rating. All I know is it's pretty bright for it's age. It's also pretty durable and water tight.

IPX8? Got me. But when left outside in the rain nothing got inside. The twisty switch is easy enough to one hand with practice. The smooth octogan barrel makes for decent grip yet round at each end negates any anti-roll ideas. Easily slid in or out of a holster and holes for a lanyard made this a very viable cop light at a time when 6volt cop lights were beginning to replace C/D sized numbers on the duty belt.

The business end

Smooth but grippy button

Lots of candela from this old light.

It's a big little light.

Thanks to member arewethereyetdad for the great deal on this one. It's a fine addition to the classic LED light collection.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-18-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    How about that Inova X0 by Emissive Energy?
    I remember that! Every time I got close to buying it, some new Surefire got in the way. Thanks, Bykfixer!
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I must admit I'm late to the party and the folks having all the fun back then have long since left the party.

But I read a lot. And it seems the Inova was deemed as less expensive alternatives to SureFire back then. Especially with the flashaholic crowd. Being a fan of cop lights I tend to collect 'duty lights' more than anything else. And I lucked up and scored a minty version of each Inova made by Emissive Energy. X5, X1 etc.

I have a few versions of the X1, and will talk about those later. It seems folks went gaga over the X5 but I'm kinda scratching my head on why.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-18-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Here's one from not that long ago that did not get much attention from the flashaholic crowd. The maker has a bad reputation as one that didn't pay their bills. So with that said....

The PowerTac Warrior Gen 2 was a pretty good flashlight politics aside. I used to watch their site for clearance items and found a Gen 2 kit for under $100.

Pretty complete deal-ee-oh for under a Benjamin.

Now if I was a lawman or soldier I'd opt for another brand knowing a proven reliability is preferred. But for recreation or coyote hunting this 850 lumen light was pretty sweet. Lots of throw thanks to a deep mirror finish alluminum reflector. Basically it's made with Olight parts in a PowerTac shaped body. If you like the Olight Javalot this will be familiar.

One thing PowerTac did that was a dud with most folks was a side switch to raise or lower output. It has a memory until you stop parasitic drain with the lockout feature, which prompts it back to low. For this type of light and its intended market prompting to high would've been better. It has four brightness levels from low/low, to low to medium to high. The medium was great in that it was about 75% full output with a lot better runtime. The memory feature ensures your favorite setting each time... until you cut power to the tailcap.

From off the side button activates insta-strobe if you like that. I use the tailcap on another brand light on my bedside table light for the instant low at 2am or instant strobe if needed.

It featured shock isolation at both ends of the fuel source. The type 3 annodized barrel is drilled for your favorite 18mm fuel source, which was novel when this light was made. It also comes with a sleeve for stability when using primaries.

To me the switch was a potential weak point as over time folks have noted issues with Olight clickies. It comes with a user fixable tailcap in a skull clunker style or a round non tail stand shape. The tacticool one has provisions for a lanyard. But the round one is more user friendly for daily use. The sculpted bezel ring is removeable without leaving a need for replacing it to hold in the borofloat lens.

One of the things I liked was the heat sync head so it didn't do that step down thing where it put out 100% for a minute then fall into 60% mode.

PK did a 1000 lumen version of this light with a production of only 250. It had PK specific parts and pieces.

About the size of a U2 or Kroma.
    He did both 1 cell and 2 cell versions. Both were pretty sweet. Perhaps the only PK light ever made with strobe back in around 2015/16.

This old rhino still makes me smile

"Et lux in tenebris lucet"

I had arranged to buy one of the U.S. "sterile" Inovas through a CPF member a few years back, but the USPS money order literally got lost in the mail, and I think the seller was not trusting the delay, and the situation (quite understandably), so the deal fell through. I have never owned an Inova, but the apparent build quality always impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    I have never owned an Inova, but the apparent build quality always impressed me.

I've only really used the X series lights but for me they are still a gold standard for K.I.S.S design and burly construction. My X5s are so dead simple that if you unscrew the tailcap and touch the end of the cell and the threads with your thumb and forefinger the LEDs will actually light up slightly.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12