Obtain High Drain 18650 Cells

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello there,

I've been asking around, where is a good place to get high drain 18650 cells.

What i need them for is a high power 7 LED T6 CREE flashlight. As you probably know, each LED can take somewhere around 10 watts. That means that the max power should be thought of as around 70 watts. 70 watts divided by 4 volts is a bit less than 20 amps. I like to use two cells to run this, so i'd like each cell to be able to handle 20 amps min. So that means each cells has to have a rating of "max discharge current" of 20 amps.

Second problem is i need buttons tops, not flat tops. I have flat tops and modified them, but i dont like that, i want button tops this time.

So that is two main features i need: Button top + 20 amp discharge ability.

Any help finding a good place that cells these for a reasonable price? Cant seem to find any yet.

Also, i may make a move to a 12 LED light, which would be 120 watts max so the 20 amp discharge rate would be good to stick too.

Thanks a bunch for any ideas of links. Also, any better ways to mod flat cells into button top cells would be nice too.

thslw8jg

Enlightened
Some reputable shops are illumn.com, IMR batteries.com mountain electronics and RTD vape.com. You probably need a Sony Vtc cell rated at 20 amps continuous. Adding a drop of solder to the positive end (solder blob) will allow use where button top cells are required if button top cells are not available.

Good luck!!

fmc1

Enlightened
Orbtronic model ORB-3000-20A is available in button top, rated at 20A.

Mountain electronics sells the LG IGR18650 HG2 in button top rated at 20A. They have an Efest button top rated even higher.

Frank

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered an Emisar D4 219C quad 'Trident sub launched nuke' in December and it pulls 15A-20A on canned sunshine mode, so I went with a Sony VTC-5A cell and its 30A+ continuous rating to give me a bit of cushion. Capacity is only 2500mAh, but who cares? It's canned sunshine in a small package.

Lithium-Ion wholesale out of Pennsylvania is where I got them from, but the above listed dealers are all kosher and I've used them myself.

You may need button tops for your particular light, but I did not, so those might be a bit harder to source.

Good luck.

Chris

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Thanks again for the replies. I'll have to check out some of these cells mentioned and see what i can find.

Just to note though, i am against soldering any cells of any kind. I am also against using solder for any end of any battery that has to rub on the contact during installation as mine do. When you insert the batteries, you have to twist the body, and that eventually causes the tops of the batteries to rub on the contact. Yes, i used dielectric grease but if the solder rubs it will start to rub off on the contact area and i dont really want that to happen.
I was able to make up some little 'triangles' to mod my flat cells, but that's a real pain and i dont want ot have to do that again.

Yeah Chris, i was amazed at what these kinds of lights can do. Mine lights up the whole back yard and it's only 7 T6 type so i could imagine what 12 or more would do. You did not mention what kind of LED's or how many your light has so i'll try to look it up.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Thanks again for the replies. I'll have to check out some of these cells mentioned and see what i can find.

Just to note though, i am against soldering any cells of any kind. I am also against using solder for any end of any battery that has to rub on the contact during installation as mine do. When you insert the batteries, you have to twist the body, and that eventually causes the tops of the batteries to rub on the contact. Yes, i used dielectric grease but if the solder rubs it will start to rub off on the contact area and i dont really want that to happen.
I was able to make up some little 'triangles' to mod my flat cells, but that's a real pain and i dont want ot have to do that again.

Yeah Chris, i was amazed at what these kinds of lights can do. Mine lights up the whole back yard and it's only 7 T6 type so i could imagine what 12 or more would do. You did not mention what kind of LED's or how many your light has so i'll try to look it up.

Many 3rd party vendors like those mentioned will either add button tops to bare cells, or they'll add a protection (protected cell) circuit (PCB) and a button top and charge for that service. You just have to peruse the various sites and see what's what and what's in stock and buy accordingly. There are other great cells, like the famed Samsung 30Q, the 35E (or something) that might suffice, as well as the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR18650GA for a 10A continuous load and those by LG, so look around.

The Emisar D4 is made by Hank of Noctigon fame and there's the D1 (bigger head, single LED) and the D1s which has a 2" head and single LED, for better throw than my 'wall of light' D4.

The D4 is a quad emitter, smaller headed light that can be had in various emitters--in my case the Nichia 219CT LEDs, but you can get the Cree XP-L HI LEDs at a surcharge of $18.

Google International-Outdoors, Noctigon, or Emisar and you'll see Hank's offerings. He's the Hank of the M-43 Meteor, 12 LED fame.

$47.40 shipped in cyan, with the 219CTs, a cyan 18350 body and a pretty decent pocket clip. 20 days from 'submit.'

Every 'well lit' man should have one, much like a 1911 45acp.

Chris

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again,

Thanks for the new reply Chris.

What i may have forgotten to mention is that i was hoping to stay under 20 dollars (20 or less) for two cells.
I am not sure that a 10 amp rating will be enough, because there are seven LED's that can draw 3 amps each and i like to use just 2 cells instead of the full 4 the body takes. If i use 4 cells then i have to purchase and maintain 4 cells instead of just 2. Four cells isnt out of the question i guess though, which would bring the 10 amp ones into range.
So 3 times 7 is about 21 amps total, and i like to have some elbow room there, so two 20 ampere's would do it.
Right now i am using two 30 amp rated cells, but as i said they were flat tops modified.
Cant use the magnet trick either because the dang top rotates relative to the battery tops so it would cause them to shift.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again,

Thanks for the new reply Chris.

What i may have forgotten to mention is that i was hoping to stay under 20 dollars (20 or less) for two cells.
I am not sure that a 10 amp rating will be enough, because there are seven LED's that can draw 3 amps each and i like to use just 2 cells instead of the full 4 the body takes. If i use 4 cells then i have to purchase and maintain 4 cells instead of just 2. Four cells isnt out of the question i guess though, which would bring the 10 amp ones into range.
So 3 times 7 is about 21 amps total, and i like to have some elbow room there, so two 20 ampere's would do it.
Right now i am using two 30 amp rated cells, but as i said they were flat tops modified.
Cant use the magnet trick either because the dang top rotates relative to the battery tops so it would cause them to shift.

I would buy 4 button top cells and just pay the piper. Keep them married to the light and if it $28, or $32, that's what it is. I'd rather pony up the extra cash and run four of them and leave a little wiggle room, which is what I did for my Mountain Electronics Supfire M6 Option 2, which runs them in parallel, but needs button tops--Samsung 25Rs, for 20A continuous.

Chris

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

Yes that sounds like good advice.

I also see that the high drain cells (Mountain Electronics and others) seem to be all unprotected.
I have to wonder if any are button top, high drain, and protected too.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many 3rd party vendors like those mentioned will either add button tops to bare cells, or they'll add a protection (protected cell) circuit (PCB) and a button top and charge for that service. You just have to peruse the various sites and see what's what and what's in stock and buy accordingly. There are other great cells, like the famed Samsung 30Q, the 35E (or something) that might suffice, as well as the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR18650GA for a 10A continuous load and those by LG, so look around.

The Emisar D4 is made by Hank of Noctigon fame and there's the D1 (bigger head, single LED) and the D1s which has a 2" head and single LED, for better throw than my 'wall of light' D4.

The D4 is a quad emitter, smaller headed light that can be had in various emitters--in my case the Nichia 219CT LEDs, but you can get the Cree XP-L HI LEDs at a surcharge of $18.

Google International-Outdoors, Noctigon, or Emisar and you'll see Hank's offerings. He's the Hank of the M-43 Meteor, 12 LED fame.

$47.40 shipped in cyan, with the 219CTs, a cyan 18350 body and a pretty decent pocket clip. 20 days from 'submit.'

Every 'well lit' man should have one, much like a 1911 45acp.

Chris

Hi again Chris,

You think a place like Mountain Electronics would add tabs?
Any idea what their shipping costs are (USA only)?

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go. a little pricey considering you can get the bare cell for about half the price. It has a SONY VTC6 cell under the wrap.

https://www.illumn.com/batteries-ch...vtc6-protected-high-discharge-button-top.html

Hi,

I might be able to put up with that. 15 amp max discharge, 24 dollars USD for 2 cells. A little higher than i wanted to go but then again they look like pretty good cells.
Any idea what their shipping cost is for 2 cells? (USA only)

Hi,

I might be able to put up with that. 15 amp max discharge, 24 dollars USD for 2 cells. A little higher than i wanted to go but then again they look like pretty good cells.
Any idea what their shipping cost is for 2 cells? (USA only)

Yes,I pretended I was buying them and the TOTAL comes out to:$27.98.

$4 for shipping and $23.98 for the 2 cells.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Ok thanks, 4 dollars USD doesnt sound too bad really.

Do you happen to have any info on the site Mountain Electronics, if they put buttons on the top of flat top cells?
That would be a good option too i think.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Ok thanks, 4 dollars USD doesnt sound too bad really.

Do you happen to have any info on the site Mountain Electronics, if they put buttons on the top of flat top cells?
That would be a good option too i think.

Here's the LG HG2 cell with button tops from Mountain. They're good for 15A+ continuous and they're only $7.19 a piece, if you buy four of them. Then add $4-$5 for shipping. For ~$32, you can have your cake and eat it.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_88&product_id=540

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/LG 18650 HG2 3000mAh (Brown) UK.html

Chris

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the LG HG2 cell with button tops from Mountain. They're good for 15A+ continuous and they're only $7.19 a piece, if you buy four of them. Then add $4-$5 for shipping. For ~$32, you can have your cake and eat it.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_88&product_id=540

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/LG 18650 HG2 3000mAh (Brown) UK.html

Chris

Hi again,

Hey thanks, i must have missed those. They look like they could do the job, and i see ratings on the web of 20 amps, but maybe that is for the flat tops.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi again,

Hey thanks, i must have missed those. They look like they could do the job, and i see ratings on the web of 20 amps, but maybe that is for the flat tops.

Look at the second link I posted. HKJ did test them at 20A and even 30A.

They'll be fine for your light.

Chris

Now you have choices B/W BT Protected which was what you asked for when I got on the thread and BT Unprotected which many believe are actually safer because they do Not need protection because of a different and safer chemistry.

Good luck what ever you choose. it all depends on the money you want to spend and the confidence you have in Unprotected.

I have very few Protected cells left, they are primarily Unprotected Sony and Samsung.:D

Last thought. Check out the COMPARATOR[HKJ] Info that Chris gave you.

You will see that the 30Q beats the LGHG2 all the way through the various amp choices. 30Q has Less voltage sag from beginning, 0.2A to 20A.