Rechargeable CR123 Replacement for Training

arKmm

Enlightened
Hello,

While the weapon lights on my operational equipment are run on CR123 primaries (either Duracell or Surefire), I'm looking for a cheaper alternative for my training kit.

Rather than buying cheap disposables which I think will be a false economy, can anyone recommend some rechargeable decent alternatives that I can run to get the same sort of output as a good 123? They'll get regular use and I don't need to worry about long standby times etc as they can be charged prior to each training session.

Must be a suitable voltage to run in 2x 123 devices like the X300, X400, TLR-1 etc.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

While the weapon lights on my operational equipment are run on CR123 primaries (either Duracell or Surefire), I'm looking for a cheaper alternative for my training kit.

Rather than buying cheap disposables which I think will be a false economy, can anyone recommend some rechargeable decent alternatives that I can run to get the same sort of output as a good 123? They'll get regular use and I don't need to worry about long standby times etc as they can be charged prior to each training session.

Must be a suitable voltage to run in 2x 123 devices like the X300, X400, TLR-1 etc.

Here's the crux of your problem--there are 3.0v/3.2v RCR123 rechargeable LiFePo4 cells that are pretty much drop in replacements for a single CR123A, but they only have about 600mAh-700mAh of useable capacity, even when run two in series, which gets you up to your 6.0v using two CR123As. We don't have any choices made by the big 5: Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, or Sanyo. Only Chinese stuff of dubious quality. K2 Energy and Tenergy are two to look for, the former once being marketed by SureFire.

What you can do, if your lights run two CR123As, is to look for the 16650 cell, which is only 4.20v, or 4.35v for the Sanyo 4.35v offering. If that voltage is enough to fire up your lights, even at a slightly lower output, you might be fine. You need to try at least one out and see what you see. If you buy the naked, unprotected Sanyo 2500mAh 16650, you'll want a charger that can charge them up to 4.35v and you don't want a protected cell, as that PCB prevents a full charge and you want all of the voltage you can have.

Xtar VP2, Opus 3100/3400 with hole drilled into the bottom, the Liitokala 100/202 and some others all charge 4.34v cells and you might already have a charger that does so.

Good luck, Chris