OLight's Brightest Flashlight - X9R Prototype (Beamshots, Sneak Peek & Giveaway!)

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Hey CPF's. I've managed to get my hands on a pre-release X9R prototype from OLight. As usual, this preview can be consumed in two formats - either in video format or written format. This is more of a casual read rather then a lab test. Its just my style.:rolleyes: Being a prototype, doing a full review wasn't allowed. Though I do plan making a review once the X9R is released. In the meantime, I would be more then happy to answer any questions or try any functions requested. Hopefully I can help anyone here who is eagerly waiting on the X9R release like me.

I've also seen some interest in comparing the X9R prototype with other high-output flashlights. Please let me know what you would like to see the X9R prototype battle and I'll try to include that in a future comparison video. Finally, OLight AU was also kind enough to let us do a giveaway, all the details are in the video review if that's something your interested in!:D

- Video Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EDeu3RcLD0

- Written Review
Today we are looking at the X9R, or at least a near-release prototype. Weighing in at 1.8 kg or about 4 pounds, this is not only Olight's brightest flashlight but also their largest. To say the X9R is huge would be an understatement. Though, despite the size - the X9R is both comfortable and well balanced. The design is well thought out with rubber coated finger grooves and a sleek user interface.

With the extra weight the X9R runs surprisingly cool, even without the active cooling shown in previous prototypes. With its huge cooling fins the X9R has been engineered to handle serious amounts of heat. OLight has even memorised the Turbo mode on this prototype. Now that's confidence!

The interface is what we know and love from Olight. With shortcuts to turbo, low and strobe modes. But improving on the classic Olight interface, Olight has gone one step further by providing an inovative dashboard showing both the output and battery levels. The X9R also includes proximity sensors ,which will automatically dim the flashlight when close to nearby objects.

Having compared the X9R side by side with the 32,000 lumen Imalant DX80 the X9R throws further with its more defined hotspot. This is likely due to its much larger reflectors rather then its output.

Being a prototype, it wouldn't be fair to talk specs. Though this X9R features 8 light modes and one flashing mode ranging from 200 lumens up to 25,000 lumens.

The battery in the X9R is equally huge. Changing the battery is as simple as connecting the included power pack, with the battery indicator showing the charge progress. Olight has also indicated that spare batteries will be made avaliable in the future.

Reviewing a varity of flashlights its difficult to be excited about the next innovation, though something about this X9R is impressive, perhaps its the simple yet functional display or just the sheer mass of the X9R. Either way, I forward to my own production X9R upon release.

While this is just a sneak peak rather then a review, we will be reviewing the production X9R. Please do let me know if you have any questions or comparisons and I will try my best to answer any questions.

x9r-02.jpg

x9r-03.jpg

Last edited:

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened
Re: OLight's Biggest & Brightest Flashlight - X9R Prototype Sneak Peek & Giveaway!

Wow what a monster flashlight, definitely on my wish list. Thanks for the sneak peek:D

RCLumens

Enlightened
Re: OLight's Biggest & Brightest Flashlight - X9R Prototype Sneak Peek & Giveaway!

Hey Outdoors, as I type, I haven't yet watched the vid, but this is great news and a welcomed update . Have had my eyes on this one for a while. And kept my sr95 after trying the Sr 92, and 95sut, and 96 so I'm a fan of this form factor. My question is on throw, and although I know you said no measurements, and given this is a prototype, I'm hoping greater throw numbers than the 96.. 200 yards would be nice so any info you can share would be great. Also, since you got your hands on one of these babies, figure you have a relationship with the folks at olight, and I once asked if these battery packs will fit the older Sr models and my understanding (from a while ago) is no because the dimensions on x9 is larger. So question/ pass the request is that will the new batteries fit the older Sr models or will there be any retro fit adapters? Thanks so much again

badmanners

Newly Enlightened

Great video thanks. First time I have seen beamshots of the X9/X9R. Glad to see it is getting closer to reality.

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened

No worries RCLumens, I asked your questions for you. The battery of the X9R isn't isn't going to be compatible with the SR series visa versa. I also asked about the throw numbers, but there is no further information at this point. I'll see if I can do some beamshots with other flashlight if that helps.

Your welcome badmanners, an ironic name for someone as polite lol.

Last edited:

otaofans

Newly Enlightened

Hey Outdoors, as I type, I haven't yet watched the vid, but this is great news and a welcomed update . Have had my eyes on this one for a while. And kept my sr95 after trying the Sr 92, and 95sut, and 96 so I'm a fan of this form factor. My question is on throw, and although I know you said no measurements, and given this is a prototype, I'm hoping greater throw numbers than the 96.. 200 yards would be nice so any info you can share would be great. Also, since you got your hands on one of these babies, figure you have a relationship with the folks at olight, and I once asked if these battery packs will fit the older Sr models and my understanding (from a while ago) is no because the dimensions on x9 is larger. So question/ pass the request is that will the new batteries fit the older Sr models or will there be any retro fit adapters? Thanks so much again
what a monster flashlight, definitely on my wish list. Thanks for the sneak peek

Beckler

Enlightened

This thing seems amazing with mass to match the heat output. Would be nice if it had something below 200 lm. Imalent doesn't seem in same league as a brand, but that's just my impression; it looks like awkward stuff you'd see on ebay for 32,000 lm and $39.95. :D

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened

This thing seems amazing with mass to match the heat output. Would be nice if it had something below 200 lm. Imalent doesn't seem in same league as a brand, but that's just my impression; it looks like awkward stuff you'd see on ebay for 32,000 lm and $39.95. :D

You hit the nail in the head here. The Imalant DX80 doesn't compare in terms of quality, not to say it's bad quality but OLight is simply on another level. You wouldn't be disappointed as an owner of either of these though...

Release date update - the X9R is expected to leave the factory on April 10th, assuming no delays they should be available for sale soon!

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened

That's awesome! Finally a release date from OLight! You should put that in the top of the thread so others won't miss the release date. Thanks also for the giveaway on your channel

Divisi0n8672

Newly Enlightened
Re: OLight's Brightest Flashlight - X9R Prototype (Beamshots, Sneak Peek & Giveaway!)

That is one insane looking light! I was looking at getting the X7R when it went on sale on Amazon the other day but I'm glad I waited. The X9R is a whole new beast! Can't wait.

wweiss

Enlightened
Re: OLight's Brightest Flashlight - X9R Prototype (Beamshots, Sneak Peek & Giveaway!)

The usefulness of this light's form / power becomes dependent on regional topography. Rural Wyoming comes to mind as does rescue at sea, but the rolling, rugged wooded trails of the northeast do not. Walking the dog in a subdivision does not. A trophy piece, but of little real use for 99% of the time.

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened

I take your point KG_Tuning, the Imalant isn't at all a bad light (they've even sponcered my channel in the past). My comments were from physically handling both lights, I found that the OLight was just more refined. Not just in build but also in their interface. You can tell OLight has developed their product over the years to make it was it is today. I'm excited to see what Imalant holds for the future, they are very innovative. The DX80 has a very useful OLED screen, which i wish was on other flashlights by other brands.

Here's my DX80 review if your interested:)
https://youtu.be/p1pawKhNsgE

Last edited:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
OLight's Brightest Flashlight - X9R Prototype (Beamshots, Sneak Peek & Giveaw...

Totally disagree, there was a recent poll on a facebook page asking which lights people owned that had failed and Olight were miles ahead. There was about 3 Imalents listed. I review many lights and I've had Olights fail on me with barely any use and never an Imalent, and I use the Imalents a hell of a lot more.

I think people see Imalent as a threat and a lot of scaremongering is spread.

The Olight team is also questionable with their many stated "definite release dates" for the X9R. Just say "soon" in the future and not give dates.

Hasn't Olight been around longer and sold way more volume though? I don't think that's a very objective way of using the poll on Flashlight Fanatics to support your argument.

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Re: OLight's Brightest Flashlight - X9R Prototype (Beamshots, Sneak Peek & Giveaw...

Hey all, just a heads up with the giveaway, the winner will be drawn tomorrow:) Good luck if you entered.