Jetbeam        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 18650 powered EDC light?

Default Favorite 18650 powered EDC light?

I'm new to the world of 18650. I've been happy with my AA powered lights for quite some time after using CR123 lights for years. The output of the 18650 is hard to ignore though.

So what have you been happy carrying? For me, size and weight are very important criteria. So what do you favor, why, and what do you normally use your light for?

Default Re: Favorite 18650 powered EDC light?

Zebralight SC64w. I pre-ordered the SC60w and have been carrying an SC6Xw everyday since the first one was delivered. I do HVAC Maintenance for a school district. I deploy and re-pocket sometimes 20+ times a day checking pump rotation, valve position, gauge pressure & temps, etc. I feel this is the perfect light for edc.

G27

Nitecore P30. I normally EDC the Nitecore EA11 due to its compact size, but when I think I might need more throw or overall light I will hang my P30 on my belt The tight beam will reach out and light up what I want, and at the lower modes the beam blends into the spill and just lights up the whole area around me. And with the clicky tailcap I don't have to worry about parasitic drain at all.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Currently I've been EDC'ing a Eagletac T25L-R, a compact tactical flashlight with only three modes and USB-C Charging. It's so simple that it's a joy to use as a daily driver

However my best 18650 EDC is the SC600w HI mkIV, it's not the brightest (1050lm measured in turbo) but the spill and tint are perfect, you have a very large spill with a reasonably sized hotspot that will give you throw when using it outside, and not disturb you when using the light inside homre at low modes.

I have many i enjoy.....................18650 rocks! If being compact is an important factor, Zebralight are well worth a look.

All 18650 fed to show size(or lack of!)

I have a few 18650 in work, however my 16650 fed surefires have caught up. 2500mah and good for 5a, i can feed a standard body 6p or z2 on 16650 fuel.

Fun and cheap, the emisar D1 and D4 are nice lights which are 18650 fed(or 18500/18350 with smaller bodies)

Flashaholic

Olight S2R

Zebralight SC64w. If size and weight are most important, this is the one for you. Those are my top criteria as well.

I rarely ever carry anything larger than 18350. I mean I use 18650 sized lights all the time, I just don't carry them to work in my pocket.

If size and weight are important to you, you might check out some of the smaller triples and quads that produce 2,000+ lumens.

Also, if you enjoy great throw, you might like the Emisar D1s, which runs on an 18650. It's amazing and very light weight. It's a bit too large for (pants) pocket carry but excellent for jacket or even some shirt pockets.
    Last edited by wimmer21; 03-12-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Dont have the sc64w, but the sc63w which is pretty much the same other than a few lumens and not having the latest UI. Love the nice 4500k flood bias beam from the xhp35...............very nice and easy on the eye.

Still enjoy the oldies, my overall fav is the 320lm luxeon T sc62d

Tad taller than the sc63/64 but still super compact. Next to the 16340 fed novatac

If you want compact and bright, zebralight is where its at!

^^Mark I'd like to try a Zebralight if someone could explain the U.I. lol

Quote Originally Posted by wimmer21 View Post
    ^^Mark I'd like to try a Zebralight if someone could explain the U.I. lol

Haha. Itís a lot easier in hand than it is to read up on. Light is off, single click for H1, when on H1 you can double tap for H2 and visa versa (so think two levels to swap with on each of the H M and L levels)6 levels total for each group G5/G6/G7

. M1 /M2 is 2 clicks from off. For low L1 and L2 itís press/hold from off for a second or so. If you keep hold after pressing , it goes low med high etc etc . Now the new UI allows you to change any of the levels to the 12 of the light. G5 is one set(2nd of each so L2 /M2 and H2 can be programmed),G6 and G7 which are the other groups,can be fully programmed to what you want at any level. So for example , you can have H1/H2 M1/M2 L1/L2 all at same level for what would be like a single mode. You can have H1 as a moon level, M2 as max level. Just examples off the top of my head. It really is a decent UI that reads far more complicated than is in use.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Haha. Itís a lot easier in hand than it is to read up on. Light is off, single click for H1, when on H1 you can double tap for H2 and visa versa (so think two levels to swap with on each of the H M and L levels)6 levels total for each group G5/G6/G7

. M1 /M2 is 2 clicks from off. For low L1 and L2 itís press/hold from off for a second or so. If you keep hold after pressing , it goes low med high etc etc . Now the new UI allows you to change any of the levels to the 12 of the light. G5 is one set(2nd of each so L2 /M2 and H2 can be programmed),G6 and G7 which are the other groups,can be fully programmed to what you want at any level. So for example , you can have H1/H2 M1/M2 L1/L2 all at same level for what would be like a single mode. You can have H1 as a moon level, M2 as max level. Just examples off the top of my head. It really is a decent UI that reads far more complicated than is in use.
    Now I'm REALLY confused. LOLOL

I'll just buy one and see if I can figure it out... all I want is L, M, H. If I have trouble I know who to contact.

I'll just buy one and see if I can figure it out... all I want is L, M, H. If I have trouble I know who to contact.

Yes , best way is just try out. You will be fine, itís easier than most tbh. Even if I make it sound not so

You will like the real nice and tough ano, the actual size and weight (lack of). As your a bit of a throw junkie, your probably best with the xhp35 HI in 4500 flavour. Itís still no dedicated thrower, but more you than the other options(which are quite flood bias).

Haha there's a bunch on the page but that's exactly the one I'm looking at... SC600w Mk IV HI 18650 XHP35 Neutral White High Intensity Flashlight!

EDIT: out of stock

You could order or pre order from ZL themselves (is it Texas they ship from....not sure). Or just check reputable sellers. Donít rule out the mkIII, should be able to get for a little less as well.

Lots of great suggestion guys! The amount of options is incredible.

I ordered a SC600w Plus. These lights look like they might be small enough to carry, time will tell.

Thanks for all the advice and feel free to keep adding.

On my days off, I use a Dual Output Surefire Peacekeeper. I usually drop it in the right leg thigh pocket on my carpenter style pants. But I use a more slender Eagletac DX30LC2 for work EDC since it fits nicely in my work pants' pen pocket.
    I have more than I need, but not as many as I want.

Surefire owner since 1995.

Flashaholic

I only use surefire 6P with 18650. up to 3500 lumen or 40 kcd depending on dropin. Quite versatile.

Definitely sounds more complicated than it is. I love the new UI. Now HDS confuses me to a point I will never try. But back to our 18650 lights.

Thumbs up Re: Favorite 18650 powered EDC light?

[QUOTE=ven;5191628]

Yes, the 62d is still my fav as well!
    Last edited by Lucky Duck; 03-13-2018 at 03:23 PM.

[QUOTE=Lucky Duck;5191941]
    Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post

Yes, the 62d is still my fav as well!
    Its crazy isnít it, maybe the lowest output 18650 ZL, but I just love the beam,colour temp and tint. I rarely use H1, mostly H2ís 145lm level. I might have to get another! That Philips luxeon T 85cri is real nice. I would like to try the xml2 easy white as well at some point, just hard to find(donít care for the later xpl2 easywhite).

Flashaholic

SC62 and TX25C2sc

Flashaholic*

I find most 18650 lights too large for EDC, but I like small lights for that. But if you really want an 18650 EDC, then the Zebralight SC64 would be hard to beat, as others have mentioned. Small, bright, good quality, great UI.

Ti-BOSS70 has been working really well for me these days ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Second this!

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Iíll join in on this. Major kudos to Oveready on the Titanium BOSS project. Itís been my EDC 18650 light since its release. 🏻🏻🏻

Zebralight H600Fw with pocket clip.
    It's a MK II, an H600Fc MK IV might well be even better.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Flashaholic

For me, EDC is a Eagtac DX30R with the led swapped for a de-domed xp-g2. Tint is great, approx 700 lumens and 35k lux at max, in a slim form factor.

Flashaholic*

To those of you who pocket carry a Zebralight, how do you prevent it from turning on in your pocket?

I've got an SC51W that I bought several years ago and the side clicky is way too exposed for pocket carry. Have they corrected this in current models?

--flatline

When i carry mine flatline, i simply undo tail cap a few mm if its not going to be used anytime soon. By that, normal carry, if i am using it, pocketing, then using again, i wont lock out. Touch wood, never had an issue with the side switch, even ones more susceptible than the ZL's switch. Just lock out on the cap, usually its not even a 1/4 turn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast