Why you no longer own an HDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking to see why people might no longer own an HDS light. Basically I'm trying to talk myself out of trying one because they're pricey and they don't run off my preferred power source which is Eneloops. So any of you ex-HDS owners, why don't you own one anymore? Do your Malkoffs, Zebralights, or Fenix lights fill your needs? Not looking for anyone to bash HDS and I realize that they're considered some of if not the best edc light one can buy. Just want to know what about the light didn't work for you.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The addition of 18650 battery tubes was really late, and the tubes are quite expensive.
I'm also not crazy about the difficulty of repair; replacing a boot switch on a rotary would mean mailing it back and waiting, or having a pricy spare tube pre purchased.
They're wonderful lights though.

Last edited:

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
A better clip option does need to be developed, but you can use rcr123 batteries or get it with the 18650 body, which is really nice!

hatman

Enlightened
Big fan of the designs but I prefer more lumens. Never have understood why he sticks with relatively low power models.

I still own both a Rotary and a Clicky -- they are beautiful. I just don't carry them.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Looking to see why people might no longer own an HDS light. Basically I'm trying to talk myself out of trying one because they're pricey and they don't run off my preferred power source which is Eneloops....

You can get an HDS light with a 2xAA tube.

Off-topic, I suppose, but this is (one reason) why I still own one ... well, several actually [emoji317]

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big fan of the designs but I prefer more lumens. Never have understood why he sticks with relatively low power models.
Relative to what?

At any rate, his reasoning is very practical and logical: 1) Overdriving LEDs shortens their lifespan and causes them to lose brightness long before the LED itself actually stop working; 2) Carefully regulated output below the LED's maximum level maximizes battery life.

There's a reason the HDS slogan is "The light that gets you home."

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I own and XP-L 4000k Rotary. I will not sell this light. The rotary and UI is perfect, the moonlight is where it should properly be, the build quality is awesome and its like the one light you need that will not fail.

That being said

Drawbacks for me and why I will stick with just the one for now. Size, weight, output on high are limiting factors in my own personal opinion and how I use lights myself.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Relative to what?

At any rate, his reasoning is very practical and logical: 1) Overdriving LEDs shortens their lifespan and causes them to lose brightness long before the LED itself actually stop working; 2) Carefully regulated output below the LED's maximum level maximizes battery life.

There's a reason the HDS slogan is "The light that gets you home."

Christ! Nobody is asking him to overdrive them, but just for more output they can comfortably deliver while remaining well within the manufacturer's specs. So sick of hearing that defense and excuse.

As for point 2, that's what multiple or variable outputs are for, so users have a choice in the trade off between output and runtime and anywhere in between for a good combination.

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Relative to what?
"

Relative to, literally every other RCR123 light on the market.

At the price point these lights demand (and rightfully so), I expect some great output as well as the other features HDS is so well known for. It has variable output so it can still be the light that gets you home. I'd like the option to also be the light that does much more than other $225+ lights. To each there own though, I understand if output isn't a priority to you.

ven

Flashaholic
As far as i know David, the HDS is limited to 1a which is pretty much the safe limit of a CR123 cell.................of which the light is developed around. Its no barn burner and never will be, not too long back(10yrs or so) 60lm was the bees knees. 200-300lm is ample for most and it gets Henry his caving run times. It has been pretty much done to death with output, quite a few feel the same. CPF is a super small part of Henry's business here and afaik , he has no plans to change his bullet proof light.

I have the 200lm rotary, i also have lights that can hit 4000lm with not much size difference(for seconds and resulting in aggressive step downs and very warm hands!). The HDS is a purchase for someone who wants that tank of a light, clever efficient driver and great UI. Unfortunately, if WOW output is wanted, HDS is not the light for you. The reflector and 200lm puts out an adequate beam and impressive. Each light is calibrated so 200lm or 350lm is exactly that. Not exaggerated figures from many chinese manufacturers. So maybe one could argue the 350lm HDS is more like a 6-700lm nitecore:whistle:

My advice would be try one, if its not for you, sell same day! The UI and feel in hand really makes it a special light. But those are just words, try and maybe you will find out why HDS has such a strong following, even if the output is less than many available lights.

Lumens are awesome, but when it comes to just getting on with a job, 100-200lm is more than adequate for me (subjective as with everything i have wrote!)

All 16340 fed lights, lots of size and output differences here...............nothing can replace the 200 hi cri rotary imho
uKlYRxjl.jpg

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking to see why people might no longer own an HDS light.

I was thinking about purchasing a second in HDS light in High CRI. The only obstacle I have is size and weight. My current HDS Tactical Rotary requires a holster to carry it and I find myself not wanting to holster a light for daylight/daytime EDC - plus many folks here in CT see the light and think I also have a firearm so it is not good around these types of people.

What I really like about the light is that it is well made, provides lifetime warranty, fully adjustable, and has an instant burst mode from whatever mode you are in. Plus you can program it. I will always have at least one HDS light. It is a fantastic light if you need to "challenge" a potential mugger or thief in a dark area at night. So, when I am out at night or pre-dawn I always carry the HDS.

In the meantime I have purchased an Aeon MkIII as a high CRI light to see if it will work as a substitute for a second HDS light. It is much smaller, much lighter, has the best high CRI emitter I have ever seen, and very easy to carry all day long in the front pocket without noticing it. Plus, since it is not in a holster it does not spook the people. At night I also carry the Aeon MkIII as a second light in my front pocket.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I love the zebralights, awesome compact 18650 lights. Yet guess which one i will grab if i can only take one with me.........
RMxBh64l.jpg

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add to my previous reply for clarity, output is not one of the factors against an HDS for me. Something to keep in mind is that LEDs haven't really gotten all that much brighter the past few years, but rather have been able to take increasingly higher levels of current before burning out, much to the detriment of their lifespan. So any light which uses a safe drive current for a CR123 for extended usage on high, isn't going to be much brighter than an HDS. Taking into consideration that our perception of light is logarithmic in nature, it will be a while before others lights driven at 1A will notably outdo a HDS that doesn't change from yesterday till then.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add to my previous reply for clarity, output is not one of the factors against an HDS for me. Something to keep in mind is that LEDs haven't really gotten all that much brighter the past few years, but rather have been able to take increasingly higher levels of current before burning out, much to the detriment of their lifespan. So any light which uses a safe drive current for a CR123 for extended usage on high, isn't going to be much brighter than an HDS. Taking into consideration that our perception of light is logarithmic in nature, it will be a while before others lights driven at 1A will notably outdo a HDS that doesn't change from yesterday till then.
Regarding LED lifespan.
My recollection is that LEDs run slightly above spec rarely burn out. Instead they just get dimmer.

Personally, collecting and upgrading lights is a hobby. I don't care if the LED in a higher power light only lasts 20,000 hours instead of the manufacturer specced 50,000 before it dims to 70% of its original output. I'll have replaced the light with something better long before that ever happens. Unless you're planning to get one light and use it for 10+ years without ever upgrading I wouldn't worry about LED lifespan. Chances are other parts of the light like the switch will wear out long before the emitter dies.

Regarding HDS
The main reason for having an HDS is when dependability counts. If you're going into a situation where your light absolutely must work, and where it might be subject to abuse, then you want something like an HDS which can take a beating and still work. HDS is a classy design with slick user interface and small enough for EDC ... and unlike most of the competition it is TOUGH! (so I hear... don't own one myself).

On the other hand, if your light is primarily just a pocket toy and you're not planning on going on any caving expeditions, you might want something that has more lumens to impress your friends. Or something that maybe just weighs less while sitting in your pocket. If that's your primary use, then you don't need an HDS... get something like a Zebralight or Emisar D4.

If you want a work light that can survive drops while being much cheaper than an HDS, you could try a Rayovac Indestructible. Too big for EDC, but supposedly they have 30m drop resistance in a light that costs less than $20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.