Got to admit, I was GOBSMACKED! Coleman Max Ultra High Power LED Flashlight

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

Now that I've retired (and have more time to kill) I've been hitting the "Thrift Shops" (which I've always enjoyed) with greater frequency.

I spied a (NOS in bubble packaging) COLEMAN Max Ultra 137 lumens Flashlight (six AA batteries included) sitting by it's lonesome on the shelf.

Sticker/price was marked four dollars. Heck, four dollars, why not. I take Flashlight up to checkout counter and notice a couple of the batteries

(dated 2016) were leaking! Using my Obi-Wan Kenobi powers over the checkout girl, I pointed out the leaking batteries and suggested the price

of said Flashlight should be lower. "How's a dollar sound ?" replied the girl. I said that would be fine. Once home, open package, discard two

(of the six) batteries and put the other four AA's aside in JUNK draw for possible future use. Add six NEW AA's and BINGO! We're in business.

Last night it was pretty clear (pre Maine Snow Storm) so I stepped out side as it was quite dark since I live in the semi sticks. I must admit,

I was GOBSMACKED! I could not believe how bright this LED light and the amount of throw distance I was getting from this (my cost $1.00)

Coleman 137 Lumens Max Ultra Flashlight. I suspect the ability of this Flashlight to reach out long distance is due to it's lens design ? I couldn't

but help thinking, how this 137 lumens light (appeared) to be nearly as bright as my original Klarus 18650 XT 11. Of course, I will have to do a

side by side test after the Skies clear. This Max light is of course a very different light than my Klarus XT11 being a MUCH larger (but very light weight)

six AA Cell light being made of Polycarbonate/ABS construction. The one BIG fault I am having with this light is the HARD to find (reverse) clicky switch

which is ONLY an "on/off" switch. I have read elsewhere that one smart user glued a "shirt button" atop the flashlight button for easy "on/off" switch find.

Now, this Coleman is no doubt a few years (NOS) old. Perhaps some of the issues have been address/updated ? I think (if nothing else) the two best possible

improvements to this WONDERFUL budget Flashlight would be the improvement of the aforementioned "on/off" button and at least TWO power modes,

HIGH and LOW. All in all, one of THE best dollars I've every spent!

SixCats!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi guys,

Jimbo, I figure I'll now have more money for this coming Saturday's ST. PATRICK'S DAY Irish Breakfast (and GUINNESS) at my local Irish Pub. lol

Hello StarHalo. You are no doubt correct regarding "todays" Store shelf Flashlights. Seriously, I am STUNNED by the performance of what would normally
cost (maybe twenty dollars ?) for a Flashlight of this type. Despite my owning several 18650/CR123 (and other higher end lights) I still have a fondness for AA and AAA lights.
I will now have to investigate the Flashlight section of my local Walmart next time I visit.

Regards,
SixCats!

wjv

Enlightened
The rayovac indestructibles are also good lights. . . Lots of throw, High/Low power selection.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info on the Rayovac Indestructibles. I'll check those out as well.

Regards,

SixCats!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Bill, I take it that the following must be a MISprint regarding the AA Rayovac Indestructibles light ? The part about using 1X18650 ?

SixCats!

[FONT=&quot]Specifications:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • LED: Yes
  • Power Source: 2 x AA Alkaline Batteries
  • Peak Beam Distance: 161 meters (528.21 ft.)
  • Brightness Outputs (Using 1 x 18650):
    • High 300 Lumens - 2 Hours
    • Low 70 Lumens - 12 Hours
  • IPX Rating: IPX4
  • Impact Resistance: 9.14 meters (30 ft.)

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Jimbo, I figure I'll now have more money for this coming Saturday's ST. PATRICK'S DAY Irish Breakfast (and GUINNESS) at my local Irish Pub. lol

Hello StarHalo. You are no doubt correct regarding "todays" Store shelf Flashlights. Seriously, I am STUNNED by the performance of what would normally
cost (maybe twenty dollars ?) for a Flashlight of this type. Despite my owning several 18650/CR123 (and other higher end lights) I still have a fondness for AA and AAA lights.
I will now have to investigate the Flashlight section of my local Walmart next time I visit.

Regards,
SixCats!

Something else to check out in a little higher price range but still budget friendly is the metal Energizer Vision HD Focus 6AA. Sam's club has it paired with a headlamp plus batteries at $25 currently but the regular price is still decent at $30. It is advertised as 1300 lumens and it is definitely bright! This light impresses me the most of any LED light I have purchased at a common "brick and mortar" store. Target carried the older version (900 lumens) but I have not seen it at Wal-mart yet. You can buy it online of course but that kind of takes the fun out of it as there are many impressive lights available there.