dropped Olight 18650 not working.

dino33ca

Newly Enlightened
Didn't realize that a drop could kill these batteries. Then I remembered it was a protected battery with a circuit inside. Was at work in our warehouse and while I was changing batteries in a flashlight I accidentally dropped an Olight protected 3400 ma battery and that was it... Kaput... It was a beautiful battery still going strong after a few years of use..

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't realize that a drop could kill these batteries. Then I remembered it was a protected battery with a circuit inside. Was at work in our warehouse and while I was changing batteries in a flashlight I accidentally dropped an Olight protected 3400 ma battery and that was it... Kaput... It was a beautiful battery still going strong after a few years of use..

You could have killed the PCB, but try resetting it by putting the positive button tops against each other (with a working cells) and then connecting the negative ends with something like a paper clip.

Chris

dino33ca

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. Nitecore battery charger refuses to charge it. Initially it reads 4.0 volts on the charger and it begins charging but only for a couple of seconds then it won't even recognize it. The battery had a good run... Lesson learned... Don't drop these batteries on cement floors!

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
If it's possible maybe you could remove the PCB protection circuit from the battery and use it as an unprotected cell by re-wrapping it. I personally would just throw it away and purchase another battery.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's possible maybe you could remove the PCB protection circuit from the battery and use it as an unprotected cell by re-wrapping it. I personally would just throw it away and purchase another battery.

That's what I'd do. The cell is most probably fine and usable, unless you're the sort that doesn't use naked cells.

Chris

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Nitecore battery charger refuses to charge it. Initially it reads 4.0 volts on the charger and it begins charging but only for a couple of seconds then it won't even recognize it. The battery had a good run... Lesson learned... Don't drop these batteries on cement floors!
Definitely, I would not recycle it right away. I would pop the wrap off and date a look, could be repairable or used as a naked cell in a light that has built-in protection. However, most would probably just recycle it.

This is one reason why in mission critical cases I think non-protected cells are best.

ven

Flashaholic
Happened to me the other week, protected cell dead and would not reset. Took outer wrapper off, removed PCB and trimmed off the strip. Now have a working unprotected cell. I also prefer to go naked(as Chris says) unless i need the extra length for contact(odd few lights need a little longer cell length).