Field Use Review of the Rofis MR70

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Introduction
Given the number of excellent reviewers with technical data, I've decided to take a different approach to reviewing flashlights. As an outdoors enthusiast, I've decided to review flashlights while in use outdoors. The review is the culmination of multiple night hikes, a camping trip, and general use. Hence, the review will focus less on objective data, measurements, and production details and more on field usage impressions and empirical data from outdoor usage and practical applications of the flashlight.

Why the Rofis MR70? It's a new flashlight introduced by Rofis that utilizes a 26650 Li-ion battery. It also has some unique features such as a side emitter and discharge (power bank) function. When the opportunity was given to me to receive the flashlight for the purpose of an outdoor-based review, I happily obliged.

Procurement Notice: I was provided with the Rofis MR70 by Rofis in agreement to post a review with no other conditions.

What's in the Box
The Rofis MR70 comes in a cardboard box with all accessories needed to fully utilize all the functions of the flashlight. Included in the box are: an owner's manual, warranty card, wrist strap, two spare O-rings, one spare USB port cover, Rofis-branded USB charging cable, MicroUSB to USB adapter cable, Rofis-branded 5500mAh 26650 Li-ion battery, holster, and the MR70 flashlight. The flashlight comes housed in a plastic mold which fits a white cardboard box underneath. The cables and accessories were housed in the box.

j7SugTu.jpg

6FuXbGS.jpg

The Design
The Rofis MR70 is a unique flashlight because it doesn't seem to follow the trend of flashlights with a tactical design and overtly aggressive cooling heat sinks for the sake of boasting output specs. The design of the MR70 is much more ergonomic than tactical flashlights with edgy angular designs and cooling fins. The body is made of a single piece of aluminum giving it a sleek figure compared to many rivals. The knurling is also unique in that it consists of smaller grooves within larger grooves. The MR70 features a single button for the entire flashlight located on the side of the body. The button features a small indicator light inside. The MR70 also features a separate side LED emitter on the opposite side of the button. A MicroUSB port is located between the button and the side emitter under a thick and securely-fitting silicone cover.

Vn1Ir3N.jpg

ncfxNbd.jpg

9hUPr4G.jpg

The MR70 features a stainless steel bezel with no crenulation and an orange peel reflector behind a glass lens sitting on a thin glow-in-the-dark ring. The use of the main emitter allows for the ring to glow after use, making the MR70 easier to locate in the dark. While the use of a 26650 battery does mean the flashlight is thicker than the typical single 18650 flashlight, the dimensions aren't all that different, especially when considering the height. If anything, the flashlight has a thicker body for the bigger battery and the grip diameter feels reminiscent of a motorcycle's handle bar grip.
The end cap does not feature a button and is flat other than for a recessed portion therefore the MR70 tail-stands very easily.

T0KXO76.jpg

i6EHeYT.jpg

Output Specs and Other Technical Information
The main emitter is a CREE XHP70.2 with a tint that can be characterized as a neutral-cool tint. It is a tint that is on the cool spectrum but with a neutral-cool tone for the hot spot. It is similar to the Rofis R1 that I also tested and reviewed. The side emitter has a warm white tint which is ideal for close-range illumination.

SXdaOwe.jpg

The Rofis MR70 has three regular output modes for each of the emitters that consist of a Low, Medium, High output in that sequence. The Rofis MR70 also features a Turbo mode with timed regulation for the main emitter. The following are specifications put forth by the manufacturer based on tests with the included Rofis 26650 battery for the main emitter (XHP70.2):
The Turbo mode yields up to 3500 lumens for 1 minute before a time-regulated step down to 1500 lumens (to High Mode).
The High mode yields 1500 lumens for 10 minutes before a time-regulated step down to 1000 lumens. It is rated to run at 1000 lumens for up to 206 minutes.
The Medium mode yields 450 lumens and has a maximum run time of 9 hours.
The Low mode yields 30 lumens and has a maximum run time of 120 hours.

Control photo (no use of flashlight):
AoSQKJk.jpg

Low:
HXUVPPa.jpg

Medium:
c8W9vT7.jpg

High:
nTMDizF.jpg

Turbo:
1KkrBhA.jpg

The side emitter consists of a CREE XP-G2 which has a warm white neutral tint. The tint is ideal for the purpose of close-up illumination and is easy on the eyes. The side emitter also has three output modes and the following specs are put forth by Rofis:
High mode yields 200 to 120 lumens and has a maximum run time of 640 minutes.
Medium mode yields 60 lumens and has a maximum run time of 36 hours.
Low mode yields 3 lumens and has a maximum run time of 7 days.

Low:
Y0lgAU5.jpg

Medium:
YXDXGh7.jpg

High:
zKQplZh.jpg

Here are additional photos of the side emitter:

Low:
JAGrla1.jpg

Medium:
WNo3Y0T.jpg

High:
qokMTFF.jpg

The MR70 has features a Strobe mode for the main emitter. It is rated to operate at 2000 lumens for up to 252 minutes.
The MR70 also features a SOS mode for the main emitter that operates at 1000 lumens for up to 285 minutes.
It should be noted that the side emitter does not include a Turbo, Strobe, or SOS function like the main emitter. It should also be noted that the side emitter and the main emitter cannot be used simultaneously.

The Rofis MR70 also features mode memory for all of the general output modes for either of the emitters. Therefore, one can set the MR70 to come on in Low, Medium, or High and also set the side emitter to come on at Low, Medium, or High. This allows for versatility and immediate access to a desired output for either the main cool white emitter or the side warm white emitter.
Mode spacing for both emitters is good and offers a varying degree of output and intensity. The Turbo is a noticeable boost over the High mode and the main modes are usefully spaced.

Other specs include Ingress Protection of IPX8 which indicates this flashlight can survive water submersion up to 2 meters. The Impact Resistance rating is 1 meter. The flashlight is made of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy and features hard anodization.
The maximum beam distance is rated at 248 meters and the candela rating is 15,390cd.
Length is 5 inches. Head diameter is 1.54 inches. Tube diameter is 1.22 inches.
Weight without the battery is 139 grams. With the included Rofis 26650 battery, it is 235 grams.

efqEdWf.jpg

User Interface
The Rofis MR70 has an intuitive UI which I find quick to learn. Turning the flashlight on for the main emitter requires a simple single press. Once on, press and hold to cycle through the three output modes of Low, Medium, and High in that sequence. A double press from either on or off will directly access the Turbo mode. A triple press from either on or off will access Strobe. The SOS mode is accessed by pressing and holding from the Strobe mode.
The side emitter is accessed by pressing and holding the button from off. This completely bypasses the main emitter and illuminates the side emitter. Once on, releasing and then pressing and holding the button cycles the side emitter from Low, Medium, High in that sequence.
Given the MR70 features mode memory for both the main and side emitter, the user can directly access just about any mode they desire.

Features
The Rofis MR70 has a number of useful features to make it a versatile illumination tool. The features highlight Rofis' intention to make a useful and practical flashlight rather than something with impressive specs but a compromised design (like large and uncomfortable cooling heat sinks) to support that. Rather than having a popular tactical design, the MR70 has a more practical design for ease of use and comfortable handling in outdoor and everyday usage.

The MR70 features a flashlight location function. The location function consists of the button's indicator flashing twice every two seconds. It is activated by pressing and holding the button until the side emitter turns on and then off after which the button's indicator flashes red twice every two seconds. The purpose is so one can find the MR70 in the darkness such as in a dark tent while camping. A simple press cancels this function and pressing the button again turns the main emitter on.

The reflector's glow-in-the-dark ring is something seldom found in tactical flashlights and seen more with EDC-oriented designs. The MR70 features this to help the user find the flashlight in the dark, shortly after use. With the addition of the flashlight location function that flashes the button, the MR70 is an outdoor-friendly flashlight for activities like camping. Whether in a dark tent or on a picnic table at night, it shouldn't be hard to quickly locate the MR70 when needed.

389EgQU.jpg

The MR70 also features an electronic lock-out function. This is accessed by pressing and holding the button until the side emitter turns on, then off, and then flashes twice before turning off. This process takes 5 seconds total. Upon lock-out, the button will illuminate red if pressed to serve as an indicator of the lock-out mode. Pressing and holding the button for 3 seconds cancels the lock-out and turns on the main emitter. It should be noted that the tail cap threads are anodized on the MR70 therefore a physical lock-out is also possible by loosening the tail cap.

Tightening the tail cap activates the battery charge level indicator which is determined by the color of the button upon fully tightening. A green light coming on for 2 seconds indicates the battery level is above 40%. A red light coming on for 2 seconds indicates the battery level is below 40%.

The MR70 also has a low battery warning feature that flashes the button's indicator in red while in use when the battery reaches a low level of charge requiring the replacement or recharging of the battery. The Rofis MR70 also has a battery protection feature to prevent over-draining. When the battery charge is below 5%, the main emitter will no longer work but the side emitter will continue to operate. When the battery charge is below 1%, the side emitter will also stop working.

The MR70 also features USB charging via the MicroUSB port on the body. The flashlight comes with a high quality braided Rofis-branded USB cable. The MR70 can charge its 26650 battery at up to 2 amps. During the charging process, the button's indicator light will glow red while charging. When fully charged, the indicator will turn green. During testing, the MR70 charged up from both a plugged-in USB charging station and also a power bank. The MR70 also conveniently allows for the use of the side emitter at Medium mode while charging. This allows for one to still use the MR70 as a light source while recharging.

LHzwGx6.jpg

wdBRKYz.jpg

The more notable feature of the MR70 as USB-enabled flashlight is its USB discharge function meaning that it can serve as a power bank to charge other devices such as a phone… or another Rofis flashlight. The manufacturer claims the MR70 can discharge at up to 2.2 amps, allowing for devices to fast charge. The MR70 comes supplied with an adapter cable that allows the built-in MicroUSB port to output power as a standard USB port.

Below, the Rofis MR70 charges up a Rofis R1.

0eSV2aM.jpg

The MR70 also features a discharge battery capacity indicator. The light on the button flashes while in discharge mode to indicate the approximate battery capacity level in the following manner. If the MR70's battery is at a capacity over 80% while discharging, the button's indicator flashes green 4 times in sequence.
If the indicator flashes 3 times in sequence, the capacity is at 50% to 79%.
If the battery flashes green twice in sequence, the capacity is 20% to 49%.
If the green light flashes once, the capacity of the battery is below 20%.

The Rofis MR70 also allows for the flashlight to be used while discharging as a power bank. In testing, all of the flashlight's modes worked while charging my phone. This included the Turbo Mode, Strobe, and SOS mode in addition to the Low, Medium, and High modes of either of the emitters. Given this feature, it is possible for one to use the MR70 in outdoor emergency situations such as simultaneously recharging their phone while operating the SOS mode of the flashlight.

Llcr25i.jpg

The included holster for the MR70 is of good quality and is similar in size to a holster designed for a single 18650 flashlight. In length, it is nearly identical to many single-18650 flashlight holsters. The notable difference with the Rofis MR70's holster is that it features a wider elastic band to fit the larger battery barrel of the flashlight. Hence, despite the dimensions of the holster being very similar to many others, the MR70's holster can expand to fit the wider flashlight.

Pictured is a holstered FiTorch P20R (left) which is a single 18650 flashlight next to a holstered Rofis MR70 (right).

w6ArW6B.jpg

Outdoor Usage Notes
The Rofis MR70 is designed to be a superior outdoor adventure light by offering features more useful for that purpose than many other lights. In my testing of the MR70 during various night hikes and a camping trip, it proved to be great at many outdoor illumination tasks.

nguemdY.jpg

The MR70's beam is a flood therefore, it provides a wide span of light at a distance. In High and Turbo mode, it creates a good amount of flood light to survey a terrain. In this regard, it should be noted that the MR70 doesn't have much of a narrow beam for a long throw. It is very much a bright flood-type of flashlight instead of a powerful thrower with a narrowed and focused beam. The candela rating of 15,390cd hints at this.

Control photo:
anwszfO.jpg

Turbo:
Y2rDkKc.jpg

The side emitter is a very nice feature that one may not fully appreciate until experiencing it firsthand. Not only does it allow the user to have a wide and softer light for close-up illumination, it allows for such in a warm white tint. This not only makes things easier on the eyes for close-up illumination and color rendering, but also gives off a familiar ambiance, somewhat like using a lantern from decades ago. It adequately illuminated camp picnic tables while taking a break or dining outdoors. It also did a very nice job illuminating wide surrounding areas at close range.

BTajJh0.jpg

vgMn5LL.jpg

I also had the opportunity to compare the main and side emitter close up to examine a mouse while hiking at night. The mouse appeared startled so it didn't move when I approached it making it a rather good model. This allowed me to take photos while using both the main and side emitters for comparison.

Main emitter:
cMv9zvb.jpg

Side emitter:
mq0W0T9.jpg

For range illumination, the main emitter does an impressive job as the beam is wide and bright, allowing the user to survey the surroundings. I found it ideal for identifying different trailheads from a distance and also illuminating landmarks. However, it should be noted again that it's not a focused thrower therefore it will not excel in illuminating specific things of interested with high intensity from a distance.

At the beach:
kEJMnWa.jpg

On Low:
4CWTYWt.jpg

On Medium:
rZ0QIT3.jpg

On a trail:
m81emMP.jpg

The MR70's ergonomic design lacks hard and sharp edges therefore it's something one can hold for a long time comfortably. In my experience, the MR70 didn't get uncomfortably hot but it should be mentioned again that the flashlight has timed step-downs instead of temperature regulated step-downs for its high output modes.

During the testing phase of the MR70, I also purchased an additional 26650 battery for the flashlight. I purchased a KeepPower 5200mAh 26650 IMR battery which I also tested in the MR70. The KeepPower is slightly smaller in diameter than the Rofis battery therefore it fit the MR70 without issue. The KeepPower powered the MR70 with no problems, proving to be a reliable spare battery for the flashlight.

I1P5i4Z.jpg

Criticisms
During my experience with the Rofis MR70, I didn't find much to fault the flashlight. It performed reliably and didn't present any problems. However, there are some points I want to note so people have the right expectation of the MR70.

The first is regarding the point I've already made; do not expect a long range thrower from the MR70. It's a powerful flood flashlight designed to illuminate a wider area at a closer range than other flashlights with more range performance. While I found it more than adequate in illuminating large dark areas while night hiking or camping, it's not the best flashlight to highlight a specific point of interest from a distance. The beam doesn't have that sort of focused intensity. I experienced this firsthand while night hiking when I heard coyotes nearby. While the Turbo mode did illuminate the area enough for me to see the reflection of three pairs of eyes in the distance, the beam wasn't focused enough to determine details. In fact, I couldn't verify from sight that they were in fact coyotes.

Another criticism would be the timed step-downs instead of temperature-based regulation. The Turbo will only run one minute at a time before the step-down to High. The High will only run 10 minutes at a time before a step down. While one can bypass the step-down by manually reactivating the mode they desire, the nature of operation differs from many other flashlights that maximize performance with runtimes. However, those models often have bulkier forms with heat sinks meanwhile the Rofis MR70 has a compact and streamline form factor. Basically stated, there is a compromise between form and performance.

On a related note, the MR70 isn't a tactical flashlight. There is no tail cap button, no monetary on function, or instant access to Turbo or Strobe. It is designed more to be a versatile outdoor flashlight so one should probably look elsewhere for a flashlight for firearm-mounting or tactical applications.

Another thing to point out is the adapter cable for the discharge function. It's essentially a short USB cable though it can probably be a smaller adapter instead. The proof is seen with what FiTorch offers with their discharging flashlights like the FiTorch P20R I own. Their MicroUSB to USB adapter is tiny and highly portable as a keychain. Perhaps Rofis could have offered an adapter like this instead.

hqn5ykY.jpg

In another comparison to another flashlight, it may have been nice to see the Rofis MR70 offer a function to use both the main and side emitters simultaneously. Flashlights from other brands like Sunwayman offer this function, allowing the user to illuminate the path ahead while also offering footing lighting for others behind the user such as in a group hike.

Lastly, the knurling on the MR70 can be less than optimal for prolonged handling. The MR70 features large knurling that contains smaller knurling lines. It's these smaller lines that provide an excellent grip but can be a bit uncomfortable to handle after a while in a tactile sense.

However, all things considered, there is very little to complain about with the Rofis MR70 in light of all it offers.

Conclusion
The MR70 may just be the ultimate outdoor adventure light, at least for me. It certainly is the flashlight I wish I had 20 years ago when I used to frequently go camping with my friends all year round. Back then, we used cheap and dim flashlights, large and heavy Maglites, or expensive and battery-hungry Surefires; none of which were great as a portable and practical camping light. In that regard, the Rofis MR70 feels like a product that was created from delving into my camping memories of the past to produce the ideal outdoor flashlight today. Compact, powerful, and multi-functional, the MR70 is ideal whether it's at high output trail illumination or camp picnic table lighting.

The versatility of the MR70 appears reflective of Rofis' product philosophy. As the older TR models, as well as the newer R series, have come to demonstrate, Rofis is a brand focused on designing versatile products that perform well in the uses most people would have for a flashlight. Rather than chasing lumen counts or tactical designs to appease spec geeks and keyboard commando-types, Rofis products seem to demonstrate thoughtful designs for actual applied uses outdoors. The MR70 is no exception with its discharging function, useful side emitter, and dual location features consisting of the glowing reflector ring and blinking indicator light.
I would strongly recommend the Rofis MR70 to those who like the outdoors and the adventures that await, either day or night.

b0j1xAP.jpg

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well done. I like your style of flashlight review. It was very well balanced and well written. Bravo, and I will look forward to the next one!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job. I knew absolutely nothing about this light especially that it had a "sidecar".
Thanks for the good writeup.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both for the feedback. I know there are lots of reviewers here and many are excellent so I'm trying to deliver a different style based on my passion for the outdoors. I'm glad to see it's appreciated.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's good. As we've both said there are a LOT of pure technical reviews out there but just numbers don't tell you the whole story.
My "Real World Reviews" tend to focus on dog/neighborhood walking and around the house daily use, yours leans into a more general outdoors use.
Now we need to find a diver, a caver, and maybe some kind of EMT or other emergency responder (LOL).

I just -really- need to stop being so lazy about taking photos.

musket3

Newly Enlightened
Mine was great while it lasted. The switch on mine failed last night. About five months of seldom being used. I sent Rofis an email asking about their warranty and a repair. At least it still works charging my phone.

GraXXoR

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic review. I bought one about a month ago and love it. It may well be the best medium format flashlight I've ever had.
Now we just have to see if it's durable (looking at @musket3's issue above.)

AdrianBryce

Newly Enlightened
Nice real world review, bought this recently, love it, easy carry, very bright floody, great for walking or general use.

k0kein

Newly Enlightened
Rofis MR70?...

Hello, great review !

Thanks to this article, I fell in love with this design and functionality. I ordered Rofis and it is a brilliant light. (IMHO)
However, I have one big problem - maybe someone from the forum will be able to help me, or explain such behavior which I didn't have in previous flashings.

My Rofis MR70 has that some strange battery discharge problem. If i'll live my flashligh (fully charged) it will be deshcarged totally in about 14 days. (or less, automaticly) Never had this problem before.

Can You help me somehow? Is this battery or flashlight problem? This is not good, in situation that i know the flash light is chardeg fully and after few days when im trying to use it battery is dead :(

All the best!
Nick