What's Similar to the FourSevens Mini ML 123

staples57

Newly Enlightened
Asking the experts...

I'm in the market for a new EDC light.
Right now I carry the FourSevens Mini ML 123 (original version).

The size and simplicity of the light are perfect! I have no complaints in that area.
My only reason for seeking another EDC light is battery life, or rather, a rechargeable battery.
I don't have a need for an SOS or flashing mode; 3 levels of brightness is sufficient for my needs.
Also, a magnetic base is not a requirement at all; if anything, it would be a detractor.

So, my question... Is there another light out there, similar to size and operation of the Mini 123 that can use a rechargeable CR123?
...now that FourSevens has been acquired, the longevity of the brand is questionable; for that reason I don't consider them viable going forward (my 2 cents)

Cheers!

carrot

Flashaholic
You'll probably get this a lot, but the Olight Baton S1 Mini is very similar to the old Foursevens Mini ML.

It's the same size, manufactured at the same factory, with the same optics. They might even have the same LED!

Instead of a twisty head, you get a clicky side switch. This switch is pretty robust and doesn't activate accidentally too easily. There are three modes (L M H) plus moonlight and turbo. It runs nicely on a primary as well as any RCR123. It's really bright at full power. It still runs for forever on low modes.

The S1 is essentially, tailor made for the enthusiast flashlight market.

And if you get an (older) S1 instead of the S1 Mini (the revised model) the tailcap magnet is easy to remove, just pull the tailcap spring and the magnet will fall right out. I don't think the magnet is a big deal either way, but it is occasionally handy.

Finally, the Mini ML 123 can in fact use a rechargeable battery, however Foursevens has always dissuaded users because the light WILL GET VERY HOT since it is driving the LED much harder. Your light will be fine though, just don't accidentally leave it on unattended or in your pocket.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have the same question.

Is Quark Tactical basically the same thing as FourSevens Mini ML 123?

I mean I understand they are different models with different interfaces but seem to share the same common denominator.

And how do I find out which generation of FourSevens Mini ML 123 I have? It's the twisty with the 3 modes, low-med-turbo.

My FourSevens Mini ML 123 does not state "FourSevens" on it, just the symbol and Mini ML on the other side.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally, the Mini ML 123 can in fact use a rechargeable battery, however Foursevens has always dissuaded users because the light WILL GET VERY HOT since it is driving the LED much harder. Your light will be fine though, just don't accidentally leave it on unattended or in your pocket.

I've run the FourSevens Mini ML 123 on RCR123 and indeed it got very hot on turbo (High). But even that wasn't the main problem, the issue is, on "Turbo", the runtime is abysmal, something like 20 minutes. The mAh capacity of the 16340 is tiny compared to an 18650 for example. We are talking 20-25% at most.

I got hot and quit. I feared the light has died on me with the 16340. I let it cool off and then installed a 123, it worked.

I think the medium mode is just fine. It does not get hot.