Fenix Outfitters        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SEARCH TEMPORARILY DISABLED!

Default Re: SEARCH TEMPORARILY DISABLED!

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLumen View Post
    The "what's new" button never went anywhere.. It's the search and "new posts" that is missing.
    - When is the last time you clicked on the "What's New" button?

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Hope New Posts button comes back soon.........
    +1
    --------------------
    He is the light!

I finally realize that the "New Posts" button is more important to me than air.

Totally took that one for granted.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    - When is the last time you clicked on the "What's New" button?
    About 30 secs before my post? Not sure what you're getting at.

from #12 of this thread
    Yes, but they are dependent on the Search function....

I've read this entire thread over carefully.

If the search function is still being worked on - then OK, no further explanation needed. However, if all work on the search function is over, then . . .

It is a bit confusing. The What's New function does not work like the old search function that was under quick links that I used more than anything else.

What's New seems to show ONLY new threads that were recently started "started a new thread" - but is not including new replies to old threads (like it used to).

Adding to the confusion, under What New are four choices:
    (1) Activity Stream (results seem the same as What's New)
    (2) New Group Messages (leads to "searching has been disabled")
    (3) New Articles (leads to "searching has been disabled")
    (4) New Events (leads to "searching has been disabled")

And of course the manual search function - search by keywords is missing.

John 3:16

The key word regarding the Search function is in the title of this thread... "TEMPORARILY".

Not that many are actually going to bother to read this post... it seems to be the theme around here that most are just too damn lazy to read, and just post their questions/complaints without taking a moment to see if maybe it has already been addressed... like maybe... in the thread title?!?!

BUT... I'll post anyway...

I am still working on restoring the search. I had to take a break due to "life". Perhaps some of you do not have lives to deal with, but I do. There are such things as children, grandchildren, husband has a stroke, other medical issues, doctor appointments, MRI's, CT scans, blood tests, taxes, running a household, pets, and many other "life" things. I apologize that my "life" has interfered with your flashlight browsing.

And of course... I apologize that you are unable to browse for flashlights on your phone because the mobile app is also temporarily disabled. (Has anyone bothered to read THIS THREAD?)

Perhaps, in retrospect, it was a mistake to turn the forums back on before every little thing was working optimally and to your specifications. I thought I was doing you all a favor by at least letting you read and post. I figured you all would be a little more understanding.... which, BTW... most of you are and I sincerely thank you for that... really really. But those of you who just keep on whining, keep being lazy, keep being so freakin' selfish (and have never even donated so much as $2.50 to the site!!!)... well... if you need to, find another place to browse your flashlights. Otherwise, why not try to actually be a part of the community and contribute something useful? Or maybe just be patient and civil?

I'm tired guys... I really really am...

For a moment, I'm going to forget the subject of this thread - and look at what just happened from a different perspective. I have a high degree of mental health, so I don't have to react to being insulted by a stranger on a forum.

I wonder Gretta, if there's any chance you could see, that although your anger-filled rant was directed at forum members, it's really anger in your personal life that's at the root cause of your anger? If the people in this thread are causing you so much grief, then I would submit there's a more serious problem in your life. People in this thread were merely the closest target for you at the time you wrote that rant.

Greta, a mature person would apologize later.
    Last edited by terryoregon; 04-17-2018 at 01:02 AM.

The ill conceived words on post #38 are potentially interfering with the many of us who appreciate having candlepowerforums open. It is a post that is hateful and mentally unstable to make such an attack on the owner and operator of our community. Here's one vote for the removal of the insult member that gives blight to the great state of Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by terryoregon View Post
    For a moment, I'm going to forget the subject of this thread - and look at what just happened from a different perspective. I have a high degree of mental health, so I don't have to react to being insulted by a stranger on a forum.

I wonder Gretta, if there's any chance you could see, that although your anger-filled rant was directed at forum members, it's really anger in your personal life that's at the root cause of your anger? If the people in this thread are causing you so much grief, then I would submit there's a more serious problem in your life. People in this thread were merely the closest target for you at the time you wrote that rant.

Gretta, a mature person would apologize later.
    LMAO! - OMG but this is RICH! .... Dude - you VERY obviously don't know anything about me much less what MY degree of mental health is... which, btw I feel no need to expound on in any aspect of my life much less a public forum about flashlights...

My "anger-filled rant", as you call it, is directly caused by some of the members of this community who feel it is their RIGHT to have this forum and have it the way THEY want it and right-freakin'-NOW-dammit!! No one takes into consideration... (or even HAS any consideration!) ... for other people and what they might be going through in their lives. People are so damn selfish and lazy nowadays. Everyone is so damn entitled. GTFOI. I most certainly don't need an arm-chair psychoanalysis from a member of a flashlight forum

A mature person would not automatically assume that I must be just out to screw over the members of this community and take my anger out on them. A mature person would read my posts and take them at face value and assume I am doing as I said... working on it. And a mature person wouldn't have taken my "anger-filled rant" so personally as to lash out with a personal attack and insults. Apology? To you? Not bloody likely!

My "anger-filled rant", as you call it, is directly caused by some of the members of this community who feel it is their RIGHT to have this forum and have it the way THEY want it and right-freakin'-NOW-dammit!!
    That comment is the difference between us. I do not perceive anyone's post in this thread that way. I have to ponder why you do?

.... I do not perceive anyone's post in this thread that way....
    That's because you don't have all of the information.

I have to ponder why you do?
    And I do.
    Last edited by Greta; 04-17-2018 at 12:20 AM.

That's because you don't have all of the information.
    OK, fair enough. But my comments can only be based on what can be seen (especially your posts) in this thread.

There is a valid reason this thread became - a bit confusing - which has nothing to do with people feeling entitled. I will give you ONE example.

From this thread:

Hope New Posts button comes back soon.........

a moderator replied:

It is back.
    Based on what the moderator said right there, it's not unreasonable for people to ask for a clarification.

I even made it clear in my post:

If the search function is still being worked on - then OK, no further explanation needed.
    However, that wasn't enough to keep you from needlessly insulting others. If your post was directed at others whom (we don't have info on), then perhaps that should have been made clear. Still, if you think your post was appropriate, then yes, we are going to disagree.

*slow clap*
    --------------------
    He is the light!

Oh Boy!
    Last edited by lightknot; 04-17-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    Two Leaf Marketing
    Lights, Knives and EDC

Greta, I want to thank you for offering this forum. It is really the only place for like minded individuals regarding higher end flashlights to share information and purchase/sell flashlights. I for one missed the forum when it was down and realized over those few days the value of this resource. Sure, Search is important but that is icing on the cake.

Going directly to Google to search is easy and effective.

It is also easy to 'mark forums read' after a viewing session. Then next time, simply go to forum, click on subforums of interest and particular threads of interest, and view those threads that are on your subscription. Mark forums read when finished, that way anything new will be in bold.

Hopefully the dystopian posts by members will abate.

Flashaholic

Greta, thank you for all you do here. I'm sorry you end up taking crap from people with "a high degree of mental health" who couldn't fill your shoes to save their lives.

Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Oh, my. Some people just don't get it. Greta has, for years, run herself ragged keeping this board alive and kicking. Even if you bought subscriptions or ads, nobody has the right to start bashing our admin. She has a life, people. This site, as much as we love it, is OPTIONAL, both for us and for her. It is the icing on the cake, not the main dish of the meal. Back off and let her work; don't attack the results of her work efforts, her work ethic, or anything else. If you don't like what's here, you are more than free to go elsewhere.

Having served as a moderator on other boards, I can understand how frustrating it can be to deal with folks who can't be bothered to read the announcements, or even the previous posts in a thread, especially when the thread has been created to answer those questions. RTFM, people!

Greta, you do what you do best, and ignore the nattering nabobs of negativity. Those of us who have even a tiny clue of what you've done for us (and continue to do for us) will wait as patiently as we can while you work and get on with life.
    Owner of the first full-on beamshot of The Beast II! (See avatar)

I just looked up a bunch of old threads via search engine outside the site. My keywords didn't land all 33 pages (made that number up) of threads on the subject here at the cpf library. Yet in only a couple of minutes the info was found.

So until things get completely back to normal we'll be ok.
    Finding new posts is as easy as clicking on your favorite section and spotting the blue bulb(s).

I do look forward to the return of the library access.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-18-2018 at 08:04 PM.
    John 3:16

Good job Greta; keep going ; it'll all work out eventually.
    I've learned a lot on this forum and it didn't cost me anything.
    What are ya'll pissin' and moannin' about?

Quote Originally Posted by quinlag View Post
    What are ya'll pissin' and moannin' about?
    The missing "New Posts" page that people have been relying on for years, that all forums have. It's understandable that it's hampering the usability of the site in a big way. That being said, people are being babies as usual.

Temporarily losing the New Posts and search features is worth it for me as the site had gotten to be often unusable either I got notices of down for maintenance or the site would load very slowly and sometimes get database or overloaded errors such that I would not be able to use the site for several days but now..... WOW! The site works fast and loads every time with no errors or notices of downtime.
    Take your time getting what else needs to be done... done right.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12