NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so inactive?

Default Why so inactive?

Why is this subforum so inactive? It seems that there are plenty of McGizmo creations running around, which is why I'm surprised by the inactivity.

Anyway, here is a quick pic of my Haiku. I was surprised by how quickly Don delivered this light to me. The quality, as you know, is amazing. Been in my pocket since I received it.

Haiku with AA body, Hive driver and Nichia 219 LED (running 14500 cells)

Share your McGizmo lights. I know there are a ton out there that I have never seen.

Default Re: Why so inactive?

Very nice David, congrats on an forever classic. Beautiful!
    My little tana triple haiku

Nice triple Ven. Been thinking seriously about getting Tana to mod one for me. The output from such a little light is very impressive.

Weíre still around. This is yesterdayís pair I had with me

For those that carry their haikus in their pocket. Whatís do you prefer to use to keep them protected from most scratches and or swirls? I will be getting one soon but would like to keep it as nice as possible.

My Haiku is by far my most carried light. I always choose a pocket and nothing else goes in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rstype View Post
    For those that carry their haikus in their pocket. Whatís do you prefer to use to keep them protected from most scratches and or swirls? I will be getting one soon but would like to keep it as nice as possible.
    I'm not sure if this answers your question well or not, but truly I absolutely think of these as (very very very nice) tools .... I would no more try to "protect" these, than I would a hammer or a wrench, from scratches.

Certainly I try to avoid dropping them, any avoidable damage, or the like, but I just use 'em

There are photos (which I can't find or link while search is down on CPF, unfortunately) of long-time members here who have used these daily for heavy mechanical and maintenance work, mountain climbing, etc, etc, and they work and look just fine to me. Yes the titanium will, of course, get marked up with mostly superficial surface scratches ... which either eventually provides a sort of stonewashed / "coin-washed" / "pocket-washed" / tumbled type of patina, or could be buffed out and re-polished.

I try to think of it like a nice watch .... If you actually wear it, it will get scratched. The only way to keep it perfect is not to use it at all.

I do make a bit of an exception for a couple of rather rare and discontinued vintage ones, but moreso because of how they are now essentially irreplaceable.
    Last edited by archimedes; 04-04-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRZ View Post
    Nice triple Ven. Been thinking seriously about getting Tana to mod one for me. The output from such a little light is very impressive.
    Thank you.
    Another option is just buying another head(keep your one separate) and getting a tana triple. His work is very clean/perfect/clinical and a great guy to boot!

Why is this subforum so inactive? It seems that there are plenty of McGizmo creations running around, which is why I'm surprised by the inactivity.... Share your McGizmo lights. I know there are a ton out there that I have never seen.

Awesome collection Archimedes.

Tell me more about the second Mule and the two in the last photo.
    Last edited by DavidRZ; 04-04-2018 at 01:05 PM.

WOWzers, stunning gizmo family

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Thank you.
    Another option is just buying another head(keep your one separate) and getting a tana triple. His work is very clean/perfect/clinical and a great guy to boot!
    I thought about this. But I also thought about getting a Sundrop head. This head will fit my EDC a bit better I think. Then carry the Tana Triple Haiku head on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I'm not sure if this answers your question well or not, but truly I absolutely think of these as (very very very nice) tools .... I would no more try to "protect" these, than I would a hammer or a wrench, from scratches.

Certainly I try to avoid dropping them, any avoidable damage, or the like, but I just use 'em

There are photos (which I can't find or link while search is down on CPF, unfortunately) of long-time members here who have used these daily for heavy mechanical and maintenance work, mountain climbing, etc, etc, and they work and look just fine to me. Yes the titanium will, of course, get marked up with mostly superficial surface scratches ... which either eventually provides a sort of stonewashed / "coin-washed" / "pocket-washed" / tumbled type of patina, or could be buffed out and re-polished.

I try to think of it like a nice watch .... If you actually wear it, it will get scratched. The only way to keep it perfect is not to use it at all.

I do make a bit of an exception for a couple of rather rare and discontinued vintage ones, but moreso because of how they are now essentially irreplaceable.

thank you for the awesome response. I agree to think of these lights this way. I remember the one I had before I didnít mind having it scratches or swirls all over. Wanting to make it a work light but happened to see more pocket time instead. However I have definitely missed having one and hope to actually putting it to work( plumbing in my case)

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    WOWzers, stunning gizmo family
    Awesome collection Archimedes.

Tell me more about the second Mule and the two in the last photo.
    Thank you both.

If by "second Mule" you mean my second photo, that is the famous McGizmo Ti PD Mule.
    Reference link, here ... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Mules-**SOLD**

The upper torch in the last photo is a McLux II Aleph 2, and this particular one was custom plated in hard chrome

The lower torch in the last photo is a common McGizmo Titanium Mule, but with a special order custom red 3-speed Osram light engine

thank you for the awesome response. I agree to think of these lights this way. I remember the one I had before I didnít mind having it scratches or swirls all over. Wanting to make it a work light but happened to see more pocket time instead. However I have definitely missed having one and hope to actually putting it to work (plumbing in my case)
    I know that there are a few mechanics around here who have used a Haiku for work regularly, who could address any concerns better than I, but I think it would likely be a fine choice.
    Last edited by archimedes; 04-04-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Same question here. Did a search on holsters for the Haiku and came up with only one image and no mentions of holsters for the Haiku on CPF's. I needed a holster for my HDS rotary flashlight because it did not come with a good pocket clip solution. Wondering if I need a leather holster for a Haiku.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Same question here. Did a search on holsters for the Haiku and came up with only one image and no mentions of holsters for the Haiku on CPF's. I needed a holster for my HDS rotary flashlight because it did not come with a good pocket clip solution. Wondering if I need a leather holster for a Haiku.
    Art of the Hide (AotH) made a line of "holesters" for the 1"-bezel sized McGizmo (and similar) flashlights, which were sold on CPF ... long since discontinued, now, however

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Art of the Hide (AotH) made a line of "holesters" for the 1"-bezel sized McGizmo (and similar) flashlights, which were sold on CPF ... long since discontinued, now, however
    Thank you for the AotH source as the CPF's search engine is down now. Since AotH is out of business, I will probably will have the HDS holster maker, Hogo at Thor's Hammer Custom Leather, make a holster since the Haiku has a pocket clip and will therefore not fit in my HDS Kydex holster.

Why is this subforum so inactive? It seems that there are plenty of McGizmo creations running around, which is why I'm surprised by the inactivity.

Anyway, here is a quick pic of my Haiku. I was surprised by how quickly Don delivered this light to me. The quality, as you know, is amazing. Been in my pocket since I received it.

Haiku with AA body, Hive driver and Nichia 219 LED (running 14500 cells)

Share your McGizmo lights. I know there are a ton out there that I have never seen.
    I wish I had a McGizmo light to share photos of. Lord, they are works of functional art! Are they sold purely though CPF? I wonder how much it would cost me to own one...

Quote Originally Posted by nollij View Post
    I wish I had a McGizmo light to share photos of. Lord, they are works of functional art! Are they sold purely though CPF? I wonder how much it would cost me to own one...
    You can email Don directly. He has the prices listed on CPF, but they are sold directly through him via email. Here is the link with prices: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Ordering-Info

He responds very quickly, can typically get you a light within a week or two.

Well hereís a quick pic of my mcgizmo pd I use for work.
    Beautiful little light sporting a nichia 219c

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Dude, get the special hex driver, take the clip off, and a minute or two with the maroon Scotch Brite pad and then the white, looks perfectly new, so don't worry. I can't remember the Cat who makes the hex driver, he is in Los Angeles. Can someone help with his name.

You really need need this tool if you get a Mc Giz! Also you should have a spare clip and screws, a spare rubber tailcap button for the switch and O rings, just in case.
    Last edited by RedLED; 04-07-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

You can email Don directly. He has the prices listed on CPF, but they are sold directly through him via email. Here is the link with prices: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Ordering-Info

He responds very quickly, can typically get you a light within a week or two.
    I would say like a day or two, he is a fast shipper, the best!

I believe Don recommends the Thorp driver tool for the hex bolts holding the clips on his lights.
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Yes, yes, of course Thorpe! No McGizmo owner should be without this wonderful tool. If you don't yet have one, order today. Even the hex tools in my Snap on Roll Away, are no match for this driver.

I have a entire box my wife had custom made box to house all my McGizmo lights and all the spare parts, Deoxit, batteries and grease, and everything. Oh, and the Thorpe hex driver.
    Last edited by RedLED; 05-07-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Oh and thanks Scout, I just could not think of the name earlier...a name all McGiz owners should know! Thank you!
    Last edited by RedLED; 04-09-2018 at 03:18 PM.

No worries, please pardon my typo...
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Iím with Arch on this, embrace the patina and put these lights to use! Particularly the Ti ones. If you want to keep an old prototype or unusual finish like an oil slick Mule pristine I get it, but a Haiku? Use that light!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Iím with Arch on this, embrace the patina and put these lights to use! Particularly the Ti ones. If you want to keep an old prototype or unusual finish like an oil slick Mule pristine I get it, but a Haiku? Use that light!
    Agreed! My light has been carried since I got it. Perfect carry piece.

What size Thorpe driver?? Metric, SAE?
    What are you people......on DOPE!?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast