Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List the bands or music that you may be ashamed to admit to liking....

Default List the bands or music that you may be ashamed to admit to liking....

Not every group can be so cool that everyone on the planet loves and respects them, so not every group can be like KISS.... Lol. There are some types of music that we like, but wouldn't necessarily admit to liking.

I grew up primarily listening to heavy metal and hard rock. I didn't like top 40 and pop music in the 80s and most of the 90s. I hated country music and soft rock as well. Being a heavy metal fan, it would seem silly to like music from bands like 'Bread' or 'The Carpenters'. But those groups were represented in my parents collection, from before I had really developed my own tastes and opinions on music. I used to listen to those albums, and I recently listened to them again, and I still liked it.

I've broadened my musical horizons to include smooth jazz, 80s rock, electronica etc. But we never want to grow up and 'be like our parents' when it comes to certain styles and tastes. Are there any groups or musical genres that you may have been embarrassed to admit to liking at some point?
    Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield.

Default Re: List the bands or music that you may be ashamed to admit to liking....

I hate it when a Madonna song gets stuck in my head. It makes me think that secretly I like her music.

A few years ago a friend and I were having this conversation and we both were like
    "did you like Duran Duran in high school"?
    "Yeah"
    "Did you admit it?"
    "Hellno!"
    "Would you admit it now?"
    "Yup"
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-19-2018 at 06:10 AM.
    John 3:16

Default Re: List the bands or music that you may be ashamed to admit to liking....

-ABBA
    -theme songs to some of the Pokemon cartoon series that our son has watched...

Flashaholic

Village People. My GF gives me a funny look though, if I play In The Navy or dance to YMCA (you gotta make the letters with your arms!)

Quote Originally Posted by matt4350 View Post
    Village People. My GF gives me a funny look though, if I play In The Navy or dance to YMCA (you gotta make the letters with your arms!)

Uh, yeah..... no you don't.

I really enjoy Sting's music. But I've never been ashamed to admit it. Should I be?

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Considering my socialization in Rock, Punk, Hardcore and Metal I would feel deeply ashamed having to confess i ever supported Manowar in any way. If I wouldn’t have “disliked“ these clowns instead......as well as Die Toten Hosen or Böhse Onkelz...
    Last edited by RBR; 04-19-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Cheese removed
    - Chuck Norris??? Never heard of her. -

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    [/B]
    Uh, yeah..... no you don't.

I really enjoy Sting's music. But I've never been ashamed to admit it. Should I be?

~ Chance
    Sting's music wouldn't fall under the category of music that people would necessarily feel ashamed to admit an affinity for. If you said 'Captain and Tennille' on the other hand...... These days music seems so ridiculously commercial, pasteurized and processed, that I am PROUD to not be able to identify the "artists" who burden us with it! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I hate it when a Madonna song gets stuck in my head. It makes me think that secretly I like her music.

A few years ago a friend and I were having this conversation and we both were like
    "did you like Duran Duran in high school"?
    "Yeah"
    "Did you admit it?"
    "Hellno!"
    "Would you admit it now?"
    "Yup"
    In middle and high school, I viewed Duran Duran as preppie jock rock. It was played in a loop on every top 40 station, so I didn't give it a second look back then. But just 5-7 years into the 90s, after I'd cut my hair, I started liking it. Now I appreciate them for their musical talent, as well as their songwriting ability. The bass work on Rio is great.

The 'Peas; somehow excellent music for getting things done on a computer:

I was always into The Doors, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, CCR, Hendrix, still to this day. But have always had a niche for ABBA and Michael Jackson songs.
    Last edited by LGT; 04-20-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
    In middle and high school, I viewed Duran Duran as preppie jock rock. It was played in a loop on every top 40 station, so I didn't give it a second look back then. But just 5-7 years into the 90s, after I'd cut my hair, I started liking it. Now I appreciate them for their musical talent, as well as their songwriting ability. The bass work on Rio is great.
    Duran Duran did an album later that killed it. I think it was their first 'self titled' one in about '93. Tunes like Ordinary World and Come Undone were great. By then I was all grown up and didn't care what other folks thought.

Another band I really dug that folks asked "what is that crap" was the Talking Heads.

I took a lot of flack for it but I used to dig disco music. Not the BeeGees, although many of their tunes are catchy no doubt... no I dug it when the Stones (emotional rescue), Grateful Dead (shakedown street) or even KISS (I was made for Lovin' You) and bands like that did a disco tune. But I'd never let my friends know it back then.
    Later my friends scoffed at INXS calling their early stuff disco.

These days if it's musical, I dig it.

Puuuuh, i have to confess KISS really run me close to

You can hear their „I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU“ on literally every single wedding eve party around here. That’s always the moment for my mantra „nothey´renorockmusicnothey´renorockmusicnothe.... .“ and grabbing a bottle of Bourbon from the bar...

Saw a Las Vegas show of them on TV last New Year´s Eve and couldn’t remember ever having seen such a so very rather poor show from any band.

Even Ritchie Blackmore in his most bored moments playing his cheesiest Rainbow-Disco stuff appears to be a sparkling volcano of inspiration compared to that...

And I have to admit I saw many shows of him, playing many bands...
    Last edited by RBR; 04-21-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    - Chuck Norris??? Never heard of her. -

- KISS' God Made Rock n' Roll For You is a Beatles-class song.

- ABBA was the birth of dance music.

Barry Manilow.

Don't judge me.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Barry Manilow.

Don't judge me.
    He wrote the songs that made the whole world sing.

Barry Manilow.

Don't judge me.
    Oh crap.... now that song oh Mandy is stuck in my head.
    Thanks.... lol.

He did a duet with Bett Midler that was a cover of slow boat to China that even had my die-hard head banging brother tapping his toes (when he didn't think anybody was looking. lol)

Quote Originally Posted by LGT View Post
    He wrote the songs that made the whole world sing.

What's funny is that he didn't write THAT song!

Duran Duran did an album later that killed it. I think it was their first 'self titled' one in about '93. Tunes like Ordinary World and Come Undone were great. By then I was all grown up and didn't care what other folks thought.

Another band I really dug that folks asked "what is that crap" was the Talking Heads.

I took a lot of flack for it but I used to dig disco music. Not the BeeGees, although many of their tunes are catchy no doubt... no I dug it when the Stones (emotional rescue), Grateful Dead (shakedown street) or even KISS (I was made for Lovin' You) and bands like that did a disco tune. But I'd never let my friends know it back then.
    Later my friends scoffed at INXS calling their early stuff disco.

These days if it's musical, I dig it.
    I didn't like INXS until about 1988, then I started sorta liking them. I actually saw them in an outdoor arena concert at the old Veteran's stadium in Philly, between 1988-1990, I don't remember. Ziggy Marley was the opener. I was given free tickets, so I went. But to make up for that, I saw Pink Floyd in the VERY old J.F.K. stadium(originally named Connie Mack stadium). That show was #80 on the all time largest attendance in the world list, at 80,754 people).

I also kinda like Barry Manilow.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    - KISS' God Made Rock n' Roll For You is a Beatles-class song.

- ABBA was the birth of dance music.
    It should be titled "God Made KISS For You". Lol

I thoroughly enjoy S3RL, top shelf happy hardcore:

I aint ashamed to admit I like Tears for Fears and Charlie Brown music.

I aint ashamed to admit I like Tears for Fears and Charlie Brown music.
    . .
    "Charlie Brown Music" as in Vince Guaraldi's soundtracks for the Peanuts cartoons? So do I

. .
    "Charlie Brown Music" as in Vince Guaraldi's soundtracks for the Peanuts cartoons? So do I
    That's the one.

At a time, fate had me living in a motel in Greensboro NC. One afternoon I got yelled at by the hotel manager for playing Charlie Brown Christmas music too loud.

As it turned out the hotel was a local brothel and it was turning off the customers. lol.
    I packed up my little belongings and split that place. But when I first arrived in Greensboro some coworkers had not warned about the nearby motel 6. It was cheap and near my job so I stayed there like 2 nights.

Looking back, when I saw their rates included hourly I shoulda paid more attention.....

Billy Joel.
    Yup, that's one I'm ashamed to admit I like.

Billy Joel.
    Yup, that's one I'm ashamed to admit I like.
    Ain’t no shame in billy Joel man
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    Ain’t no shame in billy Joel man
    Agree 100%

Only The Good Die Young ..... Now there's a song to be ashamed to admit you liked.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic

I am not ashamed of any of the music I like[Rock/Jazz/Blues/Classical].

If I liked rap or country[especially rap],,,,then I would be ashamed!

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminationDomination View Post
    If I liked rap or country[especially rap],,,,then I would be ashamed!
    Oh but there is very good country..

..and very good rap..

Flashaholic

^^^

It is a matter of preference and opinion like so many things. Mine will never change about country or rap. I do not even consider rap as being music!

The country song was manageable.

I see no use for that rap song,,,,,,,,,,musically it is talentless.The lyrics are inferior to all other kinds of music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast