EAGTAC        
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Few New Posts?

Default Re: Very Few New Posts?

The hobby needs a consolidated reviews site again, like Flashlightreviews or Selfbuilt's; it was a lot easier to get excited about a new flashlight when 1) you could be aware of it immediately, as opposed to noticing a post from some guy discussing a find on a rumor/auction/Chinese site weeks later, 2) you could see it [at least numerically] against all your favorites, which now everyone else is aware of too since they're all in one place. Trying to parse out what you might find interesting out of hundreds of posts scattered everywhere isn't realistic, it makes the learning process take place in bits and pieces over long spans of time, no new people are going to be interested in that.

Something has changed recently. I noticed no one was replying to any of my posts and the search feature doesn't seem to be as effective.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Not trying to be flippant about things, but truly, doing even the simplest flashlight mod is about 10x more challenging than finding and using an image hosting service....
    I guess it depends on the person, but you might be right. I can't help but wonder though - if it is so easy - why is there a 150+ post thread about "so long photo bucket" and multiple people venting their frustration at the challenge of finding a new hosting service.

I can modify a flash light no problem, make 2 stage optics, and install solar panels and electrical systems on conversion vans that can power a house - but I have truly failed at trying to make a web site. I guess it depends on what you like to read and learn about.
    Powered by LibreOffice and Linux Mint

I think most of the posts were complaining about PB breaking thousands and thousands of links, and trying to repair that damage is a whole other can of worms, but fair enough ... point taken.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by maglite mike View Post
    Something has changed recently. I noticed no one was replying to any of my posts and the search feature doesn't seem to be as effective.
    Everybody is ignoring you.

Nah, seriously, Maglite don't get the love it used to Mike. I used to, and still often do get ignored. We're not being ignored as it turns out.... we just don't make comments that folks get in a rucus about most of the time.

And commenting in the Malkoff thread is like wearing a flannel shirt at a flannel shirt convention.... or wearing a dark suit at a crowded church on Sunday morning... it ends up blending in.
    John 3:16

Very apposite, and very funny.
    At least there's no punch-uos over there.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by maglite mike View Post
    Oh my! Do you at times feel as though you're the "Thread Killer"? That's a whole other subject altogether. 2,882 posts at last count. Closed a few times, but never killed!

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Oh my! Do you at times feel as though you're the "Thread Killer"? That's a whole other subject altogether.2,882 posts at last count. Closed a few times, but never killed!

~ Chance
    Ha ha I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    The Malkoff Junky thread is like a black hole. It's consuming all the new posts.
    No kidding! Every other time I hit "Today's Posts" it's in the top ~20 results...
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

There were less than 200,000 members when I joined in 015.
    Today we are 503 from being 300,000. That's about 30,000 a year. Go back to the beginning and start at member #1, then 300,000 divide by 17, you get a bit over 17,000 per year average.

Now I remember days where only a few posts were made in the sections I frequent, and other days it looked like it must've been a really dull day in lots of members lives.

It's an ebb & flow thing. But I still think that in general forums are losing interest in peoples lives as more online options are available.

So there I was this morning, quietly adding yet another person to my Ignore List, and I realised that was a reason for not posting so often.
    It's just me, and not anyone else's fault, but I really don't like being growled at for expressing an opinion. I know I say some silly things and say them in the wrong threads, but voluntarilly exposing myself to aggression is just not my thing.
    This is just the Forum reflecting Society in general, that's probably whu I spend my days in a barn in the middle of nowhere with just a beagle for company.
    My Ignore List is at 14 at the moment, I used to say I'd stop when it got to 10 - maybe 20 and I'm off.
    P

Think I might start a new thread "How big is yours?" (Ignore List)

thats a lot of ignoring P. Must make some threads look empty haha

I dont actually have a list, now and then i might throw my toys out of the pram(man tantrum) , but usually after a few days i will calm down(not happened for ages ). I kind of look at it in a way that we all have our personalities. Some very strong and opinionated, others not so. Its all entertainment as long as it does not get personal.

I am still a regular on here, not always posting though as i dont always have anything worth saying(could argue all the time lol). The search stopped me as i use the new posts for ease, works great.

I wonder if P can read this post

Peter....... Peter........ Hey Peter, are you..er, am I there? Hello? Is this thing on?

Over the years there have been a few people that "rubbed" me the wrong way. However, I've never put any of them on my ignore list. Wouldn't want to miss them getting banned now would I? Is that wrong?

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

No, can't hear a word you're saying.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    This is just the Forum reflecting Society in general, that's probably whu I spend my days in a barn in the middle of nowhere with just a beagle for company.
    (emphasis mine) Personally, I think this is the root of it all. (I spend my days in my office/room with bulldogs for company) - Society has taken on too much of an entitled patina where everyone gets a trophy and everyone is right even if they are wrong. This spills over to online interactions as well and honestly I just don't have the need or want to be around that kind of behavior and attitude. And I certainly have no desire to interact with it. I think many people who have been around this forum and industry for awhile now are pretty much of the same mind in that regard. Other forums have sprung up over the years that have allowed the BS, disrespect and rudeness. Good for them! It's still not allowed here and never will be while I'm at the helm. I'd rather have 10 DECENT members than 10,000 jerks.

More power to your elbow, Greta.
    You and your bulldogs are always welcome.
    Free beer!
    P

Peter....... Peter........ Hey Peter, are you..er, am I there? Hello? Is this thing on?

Over the years there have been a few people that "rubbed" me the wrong way. However, I've never put any of them on my ignore list. Wouldn't want to miss them getting banned now would I? Is that wrong?

~ Chance
    See, I told you that you were funny.
    P

There's an ignore feature?

Next thing you know motorcycles will have automatic transmissions....

Thanks, Peter. How's the pumpkin in the UK?

I wish everyone thought I was as funny as I think I am. It's hard to believe but my sense of humor has caused the majority of issues between myself and other members. Even with the sense of family that we try to foster here, well, we're not all going to get along all the time. We just need to learn to forgive and forget, then keep posting.

~ Chance

I still love the forum, it's still a great place on the web to visit. Many members here have succumb to gravity and time. Many others, myself included, have retired. I don't crawl into uninviting and dark spaces as much anymore. I now happily live on a modest boat, often far away from the entitled and demanding denizens of the instant gratification kingdoms. Starlight is my new ultralow, long runtime mode. CPF is in good hands and still a incredible resource for lighting enthusiast, I don't see CPF disappearing anytime soon, unless the owners and mods tire of the relentless babysitting and maintenance that any forum requires.

I think that other social media platforms have made people very “consumerist”. Most do not want to join a hobbyist forum and become a longtime contributing member - they simply join to ask a few questions or to get a coupon code or whatever. When they get their answers they vanish and never come back.

With a join date in 2017, I'm still new to CPF. I especially enjoy threads like this, where long time members discuss the history of the forum. I wish I had arrived here sooner, but I'm here to stay. I'm proud of my CPF membership and look forward to contributing for the long term.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    ... I especially enjoy threads like this, where long time members discuss the history of the forum. I wish I had arrived here sooner, but I'm here to stay. I'm proud of my CPF membership and look forward to contributing for the long term.
    I’ve been here since 2007 and I still feel the same way!! I missed a lot of exciting things before I got here too.

I wish everyone thought I was as funny as I think I am. It's hard to believe but my sense of humor has caused the majority of issues between myself and other members. Even with the sense of family that we try to foster here, well, we're not all going to get along all the time. We just need to learn to forgive and forget, then keep posting.

~ Chance
    I used to tune into threads in the "site is slow" section just to see your comments. Lots of laugh out louds.

I did avoid it in the am to prevent spraying coffee onto my keyboard though.

Who ate the fillet o fish for example.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 05-27-2018 at 06:22 PM.

I guess it's slightly different by me. I lurked here for a while and when I joined I didn't post much- I read through to learn. Lately, I have been posting more often but as my collection is a bit smaller than others, I can only post advice based on my experience. I enjoy this forum much more than Facebook and other social media platforms. It is much more friendly than other edc thyme forums as well.
    I think get togethers would help people get to know each other better and posts would increase.

Is that some kind of weird American euphemism, or are you making a comment about vegetables?
    P

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    There's an ignore feature?

Next thing you know motorcycles will have automatic transmissions....
    Don't get me started on automatics in motorcycles...
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Those hellz accountants types can't be scuffin' their dock shoes with a shifter ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Is that some kind of weird American euphemism, or are you making a comment about vegetables?
    P
    No, I just figured you'd know. You do eat pumpkin, don't you?

~ Chance

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast