P60 Driver for 2 CR123 Batteries

baileymoore07

Newly Enlightened
I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find a good answer to this question. I'm looking to mod some old surefire 6Ps. I want them to have a focused hotspot. I'm thinking about going with a CREE XP-G2 at around 2.0-2.5A. I want to run it with two CR123 batteries. I'm not interested in switching to a single cell. Single mode 100%. I'm looking for driver suggestions for that setup.

baileymoore07

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the site 07. :wave:

Hmmm... if only there were a sticky...
Wait....
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?217252-P60-sized-led-drop-ins-(part-3)
There is...

The main question is how much you wanna spend followed closely by how rugged is required?

I like Malkoff stuff followed by Lumens Factory stuff.

These will be "work lights" so they need to be rugged. I was thinking more along the lines of a build than a drop-in. I'm basically looking for the simplest 17mm driver that will input 6V and output 2.0 @ 3V. No program; just a simple on/off.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find a good answer to this question. I'm looking to mod some old surefire 6Ps. I want them to have a focused hotspot. I'm thinking about going with a CREE XP-G2 at around 2.0-2.5A. I want to run it with two CR123 batteries. I'm not interested in switching to a single cell. Single mode 100%. I'm looking for driver suggestions for that setup.

I'm no expert on electronics, but my understanding is that CR123's should not be pushed beyond 1.5A for any length of time. Thus, the timed step down feature on so many current models. The cells may overheat when driven north of 2A.

Edit: If I remember correctly, one of our own forum members, Jose Marin, ran a test on 2 CR123's @ 1.75A, but had to cut the test short because the cells overheated.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert on electronics, but my understanding is that CR123's should not be pushed beyond 1.5A for any length of time. Thus, the timed step down feature on so many current models. The cells may overheat when driven north of 2A.

Edit: If I remember correctly, one of our own forum members, Jose Marin, ran a test on 2 CR123's @ 1.75A, but had to cut the test short because the cells overheated.
Driving a 3V led at 2A should only pull around 1A from two CR123, at least initially.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the OP wants to run 6V @ 2A?

He may want to but the XPG2 would not want that :) He needs a buck driver. Roughly power in = power out minus some heat loss. So 3V*2 amp (XPG2) would equal 6V*1 amp

This is probably your best bet from MTN Electronics:
[h=1]17mm MTN-MAXlp HP 1A-5.5A Low-Profile Buck Driver - 5V-18V[/h]

baileymoore07

Newly Enlightened
But the OP wants to run 6V @ 2A?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. When I reference 6V I was referring to the batteries. It's correct that I want to run a 3V at 2.5A. With inefficiencies, that should put the batteries at about 1.5A.

I looked at the MTN-MAXlp HP. It's got way more functionality than I need. I may have to use it but I was thinking there should be something simple.