Switch used in Arc4 tested to 1M cycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We just got notification from the manufacturer of the membrane switch used in the Arc4 that 10 units passed 1 million cycles without failure.

It is therefore resonable to say that the Arc4 switch will last quite a while...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic
Is that just the membrane switch, or the entire assembly with the pushbutton, plunger, coil spring, and the two flat gold springs?

The Arc4 switch does seem a lot more reliable than the Kroll switch. I think in the long run though, you'll be better off without the fancy mechanical arrangement of pushing the battery forward through its tube.

Lumens

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't the Arc 4 arrangement have the added benefit of automatically wiping all of the contact points with every click?

DashingMan

Newly Enlightened
Thats good...cause the other day i thought I noticed a change in the "feel" of my switch. I wasnt sure what was going to happen...then it was back to normal the next day.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Paulr, this test was just for the membrane switch (as I said). The passive mechanism in the tail could break before that of course. We have made those parts easy to get to incase they need any type of service.

Cause of death for typical flashlights switches like the Kroll or those used by competitors include:

- Excessive current causing contacts to oxidize. Contact resistance increases. Light flickers, is dim or fails to turn on
- Mechanical wear in the latching mechanism. Cause parts to come loose and rattle around inside the light, switch no longer latches, plunger is loose or does not travel, may be frozen in the latched or unlatched position, switch may not make correct contact with the rest of the circuit
- Abuse or trama to the mechanicals causes accelerated wear
- Rubber parts wear out. Switch leaks, binds, parts exposed to dust and dirt accelerates wear
- etc

With the Arc4 switch, the design goal was to reduce all of these effects in an effort to make the overall system more reliable. For example, the high power is switched by a transistor instead of a switch contact. As a result, the signal contacts required last quite a bit longer. The Arc4 will not flicker, dim or stop working if the switch contact resistance increases because the uC uses alogrythms to filter out the analog noise and overcome large variations in resistance.

Another things we did is to switch from a mechanical latch to a electronic latch. This reduces the complexity of mechanical parts in the switch which results increased reliability.

Finally, we made the mechanical parts easy to access just in case we missed something and it does fail and needs to be replaced. This is our insurance policy.

For a completely new switch design, we are quite fortunate to not have any major teething problems. It's not perfect of course. But the design has been kind to us. The biggest issue is with the tail cap not being screwed down tight enough and that sometimes causes the switch to be irratic. Of course, tightening the cap fixes it in most situations. Like I said, we are very fortunate with this switch design.

Peter

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool news on the 1 million cycles, Peter. I am really happy with the switch on mine, especially the solid feeling of it and the quick action. I think the design is great. The one thing I used to worry about with my LSH-P was mechanical switch failure during a crisis because of the obvious drawbacks of the Kroll. I did experience flickering once with the Kroll and had to break down the switch and clean everything up to regain full functionality, I was suprised at how fragile the Kroll appears. The switch on the Arc 4 to me, is definitely a huge improvement.

Tad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cosco

Newly Enlightened
I wonder what's the durability of the microswitch under the positive battery contact. I am sure it has been tested already. Peter, can you please reveal us what catalog says?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just cannot relate with those that gripe about the arc4 switch. My experience is that this is hand's down the best flashlight switch I've ever used. After using the arc4 for a couple weeks I picked up my l4 and although I love that bright white 5w beam the switch felt like it was worth about .18$ . I'd even go so far as to say it's the best switch I've ever used on any portable handheld electronic device. Excellent design.

MY

Enlightened
I posted this comment on another thread but I thought that I would post it again here.

I think that you folks need to do the tail switch mod posted by CY. It improves the tactile feel (actually now has a slight clickie feel), allows the tail to stand on end, protects the switch from accidental latching, and reduces the length by 1/3 inch. In fact, when the new protected tail switch comes out, I think that I might still prefer the original switch with the CY mod due to the overall shorter length of the light.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened
I can't afford it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But this sounds like one hell of a light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cosco said:
I wonder what's the durability of the microswitch under the positive battery contact. I am sure it has been tested already. Peter, can you please reveal us what catalog says?

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe this is the switch being discussed, as it is the only switch in the light.

cosco

Newly Enlightened
Sorry. Just readed the Peter's posts again. For the first time I was thinking that it was the gold cobalt membrane that was the subject of testing because it is the part custom designed. The switch under the membrane seems to me to be some catalog part with known durability. Have to read twice before posting dumb question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
spoggles said:
would a ARC4+ switch fit an LSH?

[/ QUOTE ]
*completely* different animals. The switch of the Arc4 is in the head, and is simply activated by the nubbin in the rubber boot that you see at the end. No way, no how - unless I REALLY missed the boat somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.