Tests of Alkaline AA Batteries

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello there,

Did anyone here (or anyplace else) do any comprehensive testing of alkaline AA cells?
I know we normally like to use rechargeables, but sometimes a regular AA cell comes in handy.

The kind of data i was looking for was mainly the capacity. For example, i measured a couple cells recently that came out to around 2100mAHr when discharged down to 0.9v but no lower.

Ideally we would get run time down to 1.2v, 1.1v, 1.0v, 0.9v, and maybe 0.75v, but i'd be happy with discharge capacity down to 0.9v because i ahd been using that as a sort of standard for my personal tests. I realize that is not good for everything, but it's ok with what i need it for.

I also realize that we have to totally drain at least one cell to get the data, but we can get some batteries these days for 25 cents (USD) each so i dont have a problem wasting one battery out of a pack of 20 or 40 or even more.

So anybody know of any tests done here or somewhere else on the web?
Would be nice to see the leading manufacturers as well as some side brands.

Thanks a bunch.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can start here: https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonAAcomparator.php
There is alkaline at the bottom of the list.

Hello,

Oh that's nice thanks.

Any ideas where i could find out some info on these AA alkalines:
1. Energizer
2. Tenergy
3. Wegmans

Maybe who makes Wegmans ?
I've read that Tenergy is 2600mAHr but i wont believe it until i see a test :)

Some very good information in those lists. Who compiled all that information?

Last edited:

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made the test and are running the lygte-info.dk website, you will also find a lot of my battery and charger reviews posted here.

Hello again,

Oh ok very nice, must have been a lot of work.

I found some data on the Energizer cells, and i see they have several different models not just one.
I found that Energizer Standard was on the bottom of the AA alkaline list :)
Kirkland was near the top, so was Varta and Ikea. Never heard of those last two until now.

Could not find AC Delco made apparently by PowerMax whatever that is.
Could not find ANYTHING on Wegmans, nor who makes it.

Found significant data on Maxell AA, which were published at about 1900mAHr brand new, and i measure around 1400mAHr for cells that are 5 years old.

Last edited:

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello MrAl,

There is always this old classic...

Tom

Hi Tom,

Long time no talkie :)

Thanks for the link, i had forgotten about that thread from so long ago. That was way back there.
I can look at some of the AA cells there and compare. I'll have to correlate a little from 0.5 amp to 0.2 amp my test standard current level.

BTW did you ever use that chip i sold you way back then? That was the one that did monitoring of up to 4 batteries at a time on a PC computer, if you remember. I think i remember that you had a problem where you wanted the 'charge' current to turn off automatically or something and that chip was only a monitor and maybe you didnt know that, so if you want a refund i can do that no problem. I think the selling price was $5. I dont make those chips anymore though as i moved on to other things now.

Hard to believe that was 14 years ago.

Thanks for the link and take care,
Al

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello MrAl,

That chip got placed in the things to do someday file. No need for a refund.

The only reason I referred you to the old test data was because I had done some brands over different years to see what changed. I don't think I had enough samples to determine if the differences were due to batch differences or performance changes.

Good to hear from you.

Tom

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello MrAl,

That chip got placed in the things to do someday file. No need for a refund.

The only reason I referred you to the old test data was because I had done some brands over different years to see what changed. I don't think I had enough samples to determine if the differences were due to batch differences or performance changes.

Good to hear from you.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Oh i see what you mean about the 'older' data. Maybe they changed a little.
I'll have to think about that a little as i make some of my own measurements.

So far i am seeing maybe around 2000mAHr and 2100mAHr, and i guess for now i consider 2100mAHr good. That's at a constant current drain of 200ma though, so beware during comparisons.

Thanks again for the link and take care for now,
Al