SunwayLED        

View Poll Results: Would you buy an HDS in natural HA?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heckin' yeah!

32 64.00%
  • Yes, but only if the colors match

10 20.00%
  • No. Paint it Black!

8 16.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: HDS Natural HA

Default Re: HDS Natural HA

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Seriously?樂
    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    TWO minutes ?! .... No way it doesn't sell out in less than one minute, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Hogo your post was dead on! And thank you for your explanation. Your one point of people thinking they are buying jewelry hit the nail on the head.many HDS owners have now become collectors of beauty flashlights. Instead of buying for the sheer toughness,reliability and performance. Thatís the real beauty of this light.
    No problem. I do understand how frustrating it is. There will be another few limited reflector runs. The latest we have been working on I call the "Double Beryl". There will be a few more of these than there were of the semi-diffuse green. Testing these with a new process that we used has seen some very good results so far. It's about a 90% diffuse reflector. You can just make out a slight hot spot if you look carefully. There will a few more different from this in the future as well, and then we will decided on one to keep more or less, permanently in stock. These took over twice as long to make... hence the "double" I use the name. Not sure on cost yet, but I don't see a way of decreasing the production time on them.

All of this stemmed from the desire to get a diffuse reflector back and available (My god man! How long has it been?). Our thought was that we would just have to do it ourselves and not rely on a vendor (the drop out rate was crazy on the diffuse reflectors of the past). Thinking that, in all likelihood, folks were not using the diffuse reflector in a "tactical" application, thought it would be a neat idea to get the thing to glow so you could find the thing at night. It's been a long process, and we are still going at it.

I doubt things like special material runs will ever become anything more than small runs, but we will have to see. 52 or 53 (if I remember correctly) of the Titanium lights sold in the pre-order phase. Henry initially was only going to do about 20. There will be 17-18 up for sale after the pre-sale ones ship. How long it takes for these to go will also play a part on Henry's thinking in the future for special runs.

I would say HDS is in a transition phase right now. We are finding our footing in a deep, dark, wet cave. Some things hit us hard (scrapping things is not good). More than likely, over 2000 emitters are going into the junk heap... and if I look around, there might be more. Henry tended to stockpile some things, while not keeping an eye on others (delay, delay, delay, two weeks). Both are bad. Getting that balance is what we are trying to achieve, and while I would like to be able to offer "just the right amount" without having excess that either sits for months, or ends up scrapped, and selling out in 60 seconds. We will find the happy medium. It will just take some time to figure it out... and trying to figure it out with minimal risk.

Not long ago folks had their choice of one hiCRI, this year, there will have been 10 different hiCRI emitters available including the last "group buy" and the year is not over. The only way this has been possible is with the short runs. Something like that has never happened with HDS before. As a business, I would rather leave money on the table than throw it in the trash, though I don't like either.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    No problem. I do understand how frustrating it is. There will be another few limited reflector runs. The latest we have been working on I call the "Double Beryl". There will be a few more of these than there were of the semi-diffuse green. Testing these with a new process that we used has seen some very good results so far. It's about a 90% diffuse reflector. You can just make out a slight hot spot if you look carefully. There will a few more different from this in the future as well, and then we will decided on one to keep more or less, permanently in stock. These took over twice as long to make... hence the "double" I use the name. Not sure on cost yet, but I don't see a way of decreasing the production time on them.

All of this stemmed from the desire to get a diffuse reflector back and available (My god man! How long has it been?). Our thought was that we would just have to do it ourselves and not rely on a vendor (the drop out rate was crazy on the diffuse reflectors of the past). Thinking that, in all likelihood, folks were not using the diffuse reflector in a "tactical" application, thought it would be a neat idea to get the thing to glow so you could find the thing at night. It's been a long process, and we are still going at it.

I doubt things like special material runs will ever become anything more than small runs, but we will have to see. 52 or 53 (if I remember correctly) of the Titanium lights sold in the pre-order phase. Henry initially was only going to do about 20. There will be 17-18 up for sale after the pre-sale ones ship. How long it takes for these to go will also play a part on Henry's thinking in the future for special runs.

I would say HDS is in a transition phase right now. We are finding our footing in a deep, dark, wet cave. Some things hit us hard (scrapping things is not good). More than likely, over 2000 emitters are going into the junk heap... and if I look around, there might be more. Henry tended to stockpile some things, while not keeping an eye on others (delay, delay, delay, two weeks). Both are bad. Getting that balance is what we are trying to achieve, and while I would like to be able to offer "just the right amount" without having excess that either sits for months, or ends up scrapped, and selling out in 60 seconds. We will find the happy medium. It will just take some time to figure it out... and trying to figure it out with minimal risk.

Not long ago folks had their choice of one hiCRI, this year, there will have been 10 different hiCRI emitters available including the last "group buy" and the year is not over. The only way this has been possible is with the short runs. Something like that has never happened with HDS before. As a business, I would rather leave money on the table than throw it in the trash, though I don't like either.
    I'm picturing two reflectors machined out of one connected piece, allowing two HDS to be attached side by side. Now that would be exciting! Maybe I should go visit the suggestions thread
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

More than likely, over 2000 emitters are going into the junk heap... and if I look around, there might be more.
    I so want to say "Could you not sell them to (insert manufacturer here) I'm sure they could use them".
    But I won't 'cos it'll start a battle, but then you do have the helmet. And I'm 6000 miles away.
    P

...HDS didn't start with the idea of "hey, let's make cool lights and make lots of money." ...We don't have unlimited capital or investors money to do this and take risks that could risk the company or devalue the light...
    This is why I'm an HDS customer. Henry would rather pass up easy profits than release an inferior product with his name attached to it. Somewhere along the way, there must have been temptation to sell out, to mass produce something cheaper, or to outsource manufacturing, but the HDS brand is true to its charter vision.

Well, that and I really like the flashlight.
    Last edited by Modernflame; 08-31-2018 at 07:42 PM.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Since this will end up being a 60sec sale...put me down for one of the ones that don't pass Henry's standards

I'll gladly take one of the rejects

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Since this will end up being a 60sec sale...put me down for one of the ones that don't pass Henry's standards

I'll gladly take one of the rejects
    I'd definately also take one of the rejects.

I own a lot natural HA surefires, and the parts also do not match 100%. I like the charme of this not 100% matching parts.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

I would be in for one as well. The problem with that is it would then be a problem for HDS. Ok try and stay with me here. Letís say HDS does offer mismatched ano. And you me hell probably 100 others is fine with that.now down the road we sell it now it goes to a white wall shelf collector pretty soon heís bothering HDS about it and wants a refund or wants to see if he can trade it in a one that does match. Trust me I can see it now. As many have said I like the mismatch and would not have an issue with it but for some it would drive them nuts and in turn would drive hogo and Henry nuts.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I can understand, i was just offering so there would be no lost money/waste

If they dip the parts and it doesn't come out quite right, then have to make changes for a second try....that's money lost.

I'm just offering my service as a stand up citizen to help where i can.

I honestly don't even know how this whole process works. Is there some trial. Surely they have it figured out so there is no waste or at least minimal.

If there is a chance for something to go wrong, and a few lights don't turn out quite right...I'm open to still buying one so they don't take the entire loss themselves.

Maybe sell them as blems and mark them somehow. I know it goes against what Henry feels but it still functions as intended...it's an option to offset the entire loss.

Hope this makes sense

Oh it does an I couldnít agree more. Old HDs lights never matched and I love them. in fact I have 10 old HDS lights and if Iím honest none of them have 100 percent matching anodizing. But funny thing when I hit the tail switch they work. Crazy 😜
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345