Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight

Thread: What spurred your flashoholism?

Enlightened

Default What spurred your flashoholism?

I have to say that I have always loved flashlights. From back in the 80's when I was still a child, enjoying those little push lights that took n batts to the collection that I now own.

A few years ago as I was going through my college career these little blue ASP sapphires came out. I couldn't resist and bought a couple. Little did I realize that my ASP slowly lost power, and I wanted a light that I could service myself. So I ammassed a little collection of photon II's a year after. It wasn't until 2000 that I noticed that there is an LED light that took readily available and cheap AAA's batteries. I purchased three of these. A couple were presents and one was for me.

Back then all I really thought about to bring when I went fishing was this little ARC-AAA and a pelican pen light that took AAA's. It wasn't much light for my needs. I purchased my first PT Attitude soon after and I felt that I was set. I brought the attitude everywhere and it would always come out to the docks where I went fishing.

A little bit about where I fish. It's really dark because it's a private dock. It's a shipyard that my uncle works at and he is gracious enough to allow a couple of buddies and I fish there whenever I like.

There was one instance a few years back that kicked my flashaholism into full gear. While fishing the nimh batteries in my attitude died to the point that it was dimmer than my Arc-AAA. All I had for light at that point was my Arc-AAA which I knew didn't have much battery power in it. My friend who also had an attitude had forgotten to charge his batteries as well. We were screwed. There was barely enough light to do any of the tasks we needed to. The feeling of being unprepared and without light truly sucked.

It was since then that I am always overprepared when it comes to fishing. And since then my light collection has grown ten fold to the point that I am currently the owner of streamlight and surefire tactical lights. I never thought I'd buy so many of these things!!!

Default Re: What spurred your flashoholism?

Here's a long previous thread on this subject:

WHY FLASHAHOLICS?

Brightnorm

Flashaholic

I was looking for long lasting rechargable or solar powered lights on ebay last fall and discovered the wonders of the LED and it's long lasting characteristics.. through a few google searches I found this forum and the rest is history.

Light is beautiful,
    reminds me of the stars.

Loved flashlights since I was a kid, but lost it somehow ... untill LedLensers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] made me discover LED lights and then the great Don dragged me here. It is all his fault.

bernhard

Flashaholic*

If you could call me a flashaholic, I would say the the advent of the White LED and hearing about the CC Trek Light is what spurred it.

Before that, my attitude was 'a flashlight is a flashlight'.

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

Got a flashlight for Christmas in 1953. No hope for me.

Flashaholic*

I was actually looking for information regarding laser "sites" for my Ruger 10/22 and flashlight mounts for my shotgun for varmint control. Wound up here at CPF, wound up getting some nice lights.

Still haven't gotten a laser site or flashlight mount for my guns ...... yet. DOH!

Mike

Ever since I was young I was facinated with lights... My sister would scold me for running down the batteries. She would always say "WHAT HAPPENDS IF WE REALLY NEED IT!?" I used to think M@gs were king.. Boy was I wrong [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

For me, it was probably when I got my first flashlight, a disposable keychain light that looked like it ran on either 1 AA or AAA. It was for a week long school outing. We had to have a flashlight to participate in some of the night time activities, or else sit out. My Dad, being quite frugal, got me the cheapest one he could find. When we were using our flashlights, not too many were dimmer than mine. I guess I was tired of being out-gunned in the light department. For the next several years, I would buy flashlights, my parents yelling at me each time. "What do you need another flashlight for?!?!" What can I say, I was addicted. In retrospect, I think it was their fault. When I was 3 years old, there was a loud thunderstorm right at bedtime. The lights went out. I was scared and bawling, so my dad gave me a flashlight to hold. He still has it in a drawer in the kitchen. It's a chrome heavy-duty 2-D cell with a magnet on the side, and a red collar around the head. Maybe if he had not given me that flashlight to comfort me, I wouldn't have become addicted. Thanks, Dad! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

I always wanted a lightsaber after watching "Star Wars" when I was four years old. A very good flashlight is the next best thing.

Flashaholic*

CPF member FNG.

Flashaholic*

I've always liked flashlights, but one event got me hooked. Turning on my first Luxeon LED flashlight and comparing the beam to a 2D Maglite. I was how amazed at how white and pure the Luxeon was, and how brownish-yellow and ringy/blotchy/hole ridden the Maglite was. That discovery turned me away from Maglites, and inspired me to build a collection of LEDs.

I posted this in the other "what started your flashaholicism" thread...but what the heck, I'll post it again.

I think I got the biggest push when I received an Eveready sealed beam lantern (later identified as an Eveready Big Jim) for Christmas when I was somewhere in single-digits in age. Maybe 6, maybe 7.

Around this time, my big brother started to tinker with hot rods, and I'd always find things like ignition coils , spark plugs, and headlight bulbs in the garage. Hooking a car headlight bulb to a pair of 6 volt lantern batteries with wire and alligator clips and then taping the whole mess to my banana bike made me the brightest S.O.B. on the block, but batteries were expensive on my 50 cents a week allowance, so I didn't use this light very much.

Then I got involved with LEDs. My first one was a dim red one that cost me more than 3 months worth of saving my allowance; I managed to blow it up within the first three minutes.
    After that, I was *much* more careful, and learned there's a reason why resistors were invented. When I got my second LED (of the same kind - the only kind available) a few months later, I was much more careful and I think it lasted many years before becoming lost or being thrown out by an evil stepmother.

By the time I hit the big one two, I started experimenting with things like strobe light circuits and lasers; all the while trying to make the best flashlight that used cheap, readily available batteries.
    I was no longer interested in those metal 2-cell Ray-O-Vacs, and around this time I got my first Mag-Lite. First thing I did was go and get the best bulbs I could find, so I could once again be the brightest S.O.B. for miles around. Only the police had brighter lights than I did, and theirs weren't *that* much bettter.

As with most obsessions, I went through a "dark period" that lasted from the late 1980s through the mid 1990s. With the exception of still looking for the brightest and baddest LEDs, I didn't do a whole lot with my flashlight obsession, other than maybe buying a light once every few months to replace those stolen at my job site.

But it wasn't until early 1999 that things took off again upon my first exposure to this thing called the internet, or world wide web. Before that, I'd never seen a web page was, and probably couldn't even tell you what a browser was.

Late 1999 was the turning point. October 18th, around 2pm to be exact. That was when I did something I'll never regret: I posted a single 14K web page about LEDs. I used an adjunct to an already existing baseball website.
    It had a few K of text and a smattering of tiny black and white pictures taken with an old computer-mounted camera that looked like a defective golf ball on a smashed tee. Yeah, I had a webcam before I even knew what the web was... a friend gave it to me a few years earlier.
    Little did I know back then what kind of a monster I'd end up creating, or how large a following I would develop.

And as they say, the rest is 60 megs of history.

Flashaholic*

i think it was tripping over crap in the dark constantly during camping trips and overnight hikes.

i also used to hang out by the docks quite often. some aren't lit whatsoever. i first got into Maglites. then diving lights when i started hanging out with white water guides.

then i picked up on LED technology in flashlights last year, and found CPF.

and since i'm obsessive compulsive, i have to get the beautiful lights i hear about thru fellow CPF members/supporters/reviewers.

Flashaholic*

I impulsively bought an Inova X5T with blue Leds in a Discovery Channel store. It just really intrigued me and I wanted to get one with white Leds. While searching the Web for one, I stumbled into this site ... it was all down hill after that.

Interestingly the Blue Inova X5T that I thought was so cool and started my Flashaholism was one of the first lights that I parted with on B/S/T, but I do still have a white and UV X5T.

Flashaholic*

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] Darkness [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]
    Okay night fishing and the darkness.

Flashaholic*

I saw a 7 LED flashlight in the CCrane catalog and I had to have it. I guess it's called the Expedition. Actually a Tektite dive light I believe.

Why I had to buy about 25 more lights, I don't know. Actually I think I'm almost cured. I don't believe I've bought a flashlight in a year.

My initial fascination with flashlights started at a young age. The fact that I could take 'em apart and understand the limited electronics fed my interest. I'll never forget shining my dad's navy surplus signaling light off of low clouds. Geez...what a feeling of power. I think that light died after my youthful attempts to modify it.

The disease lay dormant until triggered by the purchase of a Dorcy AA 4 led model a few months back. I'd had cheap lights and Mags, but the realization that led's could put out some light started me on the path to ruin. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif[/img]

'Course I actually prefer to think of flashaholism as a chronic (see sig) condition, much like my HBP. As long as I take my medicine regularly, I'm just the same as everyone else. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    It's not a cure...but it'll do!

I think I've had the flashaholic gene for many years. Like most of us I had a MiniMag and Solitaire along with many odd penlights. Then I found the Dorcy Cool Blue and the Eveready Folding Lantern and wanted only LED's at that point. But the real spurring occured when I discovered the LED Museum followed by CPF. Seeing I was not alone opened the flood gates. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

cpf member nqwan v2.0, who is my little bro away from home in the Service, gave me a Mini-Mag with a MM/adj., NX-05, & an acrylic sphere, for Christmas a couple years ago. I had a Stinger that I EDC'd for work but ever since that first Luxeon given to me, I was hooked.

I had a few different flashlights, but no serious collection. I was researching sources for UV LEDs when I came across Craig's LED Museum. I was amazed at the wealth of information and became hooked. I think there was also a link to the CPF from his site and early last year I registered. I felt like a ship adrift in the night before finding the CPF group. I also think Craig's influence got me hooked to flashlights like a crack addict! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

It is a slippery slope from interest to obsession to addiction. I'm just glad to have so many here to share the journey with me.

Dad was a State Trooper, and went through a lot of flashlights in the '60's. Guess who got the broken ones? You want to see mods? I wish I saved them.
    Then Boy Scouts: other guys showed off knives, latest lightweight camping gear, etc; I always had a light we could spot deer with across the lake.

Then I got into the retail (scuba) business, with Tekna, UK and PT as our main light lines. I spent a lot of time servicing and repairing other's lights, and started seeing ways to improve them. Then a stint at PT designing a lot of their lights. Eventually my own factory, with patents on some of the first white LED lights. I skipped the slippery slope, and jumped right off the cliff...[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Next time your wife complains about how much you spend on flashlights, tell her, "...it could be worse, look at what happened to Scott..." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

I'd have to say mine started with just having to have the same things dad had. I can remember being 4 years old and dad had a large 6 volt lantern light. We would walk around the neighborhood at night. So guess who else had to have a flashlight. I guess I was just born an outdoorsman just like my dad. Then I got into the Cub Scouts and then Boy Scouts. I started living the "Be Prepared" motto and still live it to this day at age 27. I guess I have always been known as the guy who usually had any item for any emergency. So along with a pocketknife and various other things I carry in my pockets everyday, I carry a flashlight. And over the years I have continually improved on my EDC stuff. Now I am up to 2 lights on me at all times, atleast 3 different knives, and all kinds of other misc stuff.

And for the record. I don't mind being the guy in a crowd that is prepared for those expected emergencies. I find it very funny when those around me are faced with an event and they all stand around like "What do we do now?" I prefer to do for myself.

--Jason

[ QUOTE ]
    I started living the "Be Prepared" motto and still live it to this day at age 27. I guess I have always been known as the guy who usually had any item for any emergency. So along with a pocketknife and various other things I carry in my pockets everyday, I carry a flashlight. And over the years I have continually improved on my EDC stuff. Now I am up to 2 lights on me at all times, at least 3 different knives, and all kinds of other misc stuff.

And for the record. I don't mind being the guy in a crowd that is prepared for those expected emergencies. I find it very funny when those around me are faced with an event and they all stand around like "What do we do now?" I prefer to do for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup; and throw in a big first aid kit, fire extinguisher and a towrope in the truck.

Amen [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I'll keep it short and simple: my dad.

Flashaholic*

Cycling in the dark!
    I purchased a recumbent bicycle back in Feb 1999 and really enjoyed cruising around. Had the little blinky red LED flashers on the back and wished a strong white LED would come out.
    April, 2000 I was in a Target and noted an Emerson 18-LED red flasher and had to buy it ($10) Took the magnets off and strapped it to my rear rack and nuked some eyeballs. That thing was BRIGHT! I had a Bell 5W halogen helmet light to compliment the 18-LED flasher.
    December, 2000 I learned I was going to Korea so I decided not to bring a car (good idea) and use my recumbent for transportation. Put a greenish-white 5 LED flasher on the front for redundent safety.
    May, 2001 Rode to work on my recumbent so to adjust to day-to-day riding of the beast. Changed tires and a few things to make it work better. Still wished for bright, white LEDs.
    July, 2001 Went to Korea and noted the 5W halogen could be overridden at speeds above 13 MPH.
    April, 2002 Purchased a 3 LED white Streamlite Batonlite and was amazed at the whiteness of it. Pondered getting one with 30 LEDs in it to give me some light.
    May, 2002 5W halogen bulb blew out at 18 MPH riding down a dark road in Korea. 8 foot ditches on each side heading to rice fields. Motivation to get that white LED project off the ground!
    August, 2002 Found the LED Museum and started to research "Luxeon" 1.25 watt LEDs.
    September, 2002 Joined CPF and started more research about current regulated Luxeons.
    November, 2002 Put a BB500 Luxeon sandwich in a silver minimag and used it as a helmet light. Wished the optics would be narrower for better throw and better binning for more output.
    February - May 2003 BB500, mini-LGI and 5W Cyan 5D head to other parts of the world. If you don't have a flashlight, you are in the dark in a dangerous place. Flashaholism turns to survival needs.
    June 2003 BB400 Q3L sandwiches ordered for two bike lights
    Summer 2003 Micro-Illuminator ordered. The small luxeon light bug planted.
    August, 2003 BB500 R2H sandwiches coupled with Fraen LP optics produce enough light to see and not just be seen. The spare one becomes EDC.
    September, 2003 2D Mag with Madmax+, R2H with mag reflector mod completed. It becomes the long-throw frame mounted light. Cops marvel at the long throw and bright beam.
    November, 2003 BB400 Q3L traded for an Arc AA. Arc AA specifically for trips "across the pond" when a dimmer, longer lasting, waterproof light source is required.
    February, 2004 Arc AAA with red LED purchased. The "sterile" light will be heading to South America for 3 months with other "sterile" items. This will create a yearning for more Arc AAAs!
    April, 2004 UKE 4AA Luxeon lights, Infinity Ultras will be given out as emergency lights to friends. This is obvously pending!
    Summer/Fall 2004 X3T 5 watt, 8 NiMH AA's, Flex regulated 2D Mag completed for better frame mounted light.
    December, 2004 Arc AAA and Infinity Ultras given out as gifts for Christmas.

That is about it, my needs for reliable bicycle lighting and deployment lights tend to burn my wallet up.

Marveled by light, curious about electronics, and I worked in a place with no electricity at night. I was stuck with a 4D maglite for years and years thinking it was the greatest thing. One day I was hosted an "engineering" meeting for my son's cub-scout den. I was going to teach the kids about electricity, etc. so I ran to RadioShack to grab some bulbs, and wires, etc. for a basic circuit. Stumbled across some LEDs and used those instead. Then I got curious if "those things" could be brighter. Soon after I discovered flashlight modding, high intensity incandescent lights, and LEDs (ok, Luxeons). I'm hooked now.

I guess at a very subconscious level, I'm afraid of the dark and having a light makes me feel safe. There, I said it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I've been building incandescent flashlights since I was about 5 (no joke). Later, I bought my first pair of LEDs at Radio Shack in about 1977 and have been hooked since. Two engineering degrees later, I'm still building them.... and I couldn't be happier [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Hi all,
    Guess Im a late bloomer.

I got into this because of need.
    Iraq quickly teachs us what is of value good tools in the field.

Prior to this I would keep a Dx4 Mag light in the car. First as a lamp, second as a back up weapon.

Spent a long time in ham radio emergency managment and never had the urge to work on lights, mostly spent that time making RDF toys work better.

So now I have a new activity, it's not all that expensive. Also it's useful. Get to have something to do during my off hours on this base.

Got all kinds of ideas for projects. LED tail lights for my truck. A slew of projects for the car. Perhaps selling a few. IR lamps for NVG. High efficency DC converters for mobile power sources. Perhaps if the wife and I buy a home, we can make part of it DC operated and kiss off a few KW from the utiltiy. Domestic lighting, a good car stereo rather than a line powered stereo. Same for the TV.

The best part is a new community to hang out with. Got the ham radio club, the gun club, and now this.

So many thanks people

Jack Crow in Iraq