Need 16 headlamps for a running team, 30.00 budget each...

ScottyJ

Enlightened
My work is sponsoring two 8 man teams for a Ragnar race, everyone will have to run for several hours at night.

I have been asked to get 16 headlamps for the runners, with a 30.00 budget per headlamp.

I don't keep up with things like I used to, can you give me some ideas of what and maybe where to buy them?

Would need them in Utah by next Wednesday.

Thanks!

parametrek

Enlightened
Wowtac A2 ($20) or A2S ($30). They come with an 18650 battery that can be recharged with micro-usb. Outstanding runtimes and the A2S can do 120 lumens for 14 hours on a single charge. They are on Amazon and can be shipped 2-day. Quality is very good since they apparently use Thrunite's manufacturing facilities. The $20 A2 is hands down the best value light on the market imho. Weight is a little high compared to more paltry headlamps but I've had no trouble running with one.

If you absolutely want to use "regular" batteries then the $25 Fenix HL16 or $30 Thrunite TH20 are your best options.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
My work is sponsoring two 8 man teams for a Ragnar race, everyone will have to run for several hours at night.

I have been asked to get 16 headlamps for the runners, with a 30.00 budget per headlamp.

I don't keep up with things like I used to, can you give me some ideas of what and maybe where to buy them?

Would need them in Utah by next Wednesday.

Thanks!

Man, as much as I'd like to suggest some of the whiz-bang headlights, you're probably better off with the dinky Energizer/Coast/Duracell 3xAAA lights out there and pick your poison based on price.

While I love the rechargeable 18650 HL, you're talking about 16 people who may not be involved with rechargeable batteries and certainly not rechargeable li-ion cells and chargers.

Go to Costco and see what they offer for cheap (<$20-$25) and buy some jumbo packs of Kirkland/Duracell AAAs and pass them out with the HL.

Probably best for anybody who's a noob and they can be fairly bright. If you need more runtime, then look to the HLs that take 2xAA batteries, as they should offer a few more minutes than 3xAAA HL.

You can always tell them to carry 3 more AAAs in their fanny pack, if they're carrying one.

I've looked at the Wowtacs mentioned above and they're capable, but if this is a one time deal, than alkaleaks might be the easiest route to go.

Chris

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get 8 of the 2 packs of 405 lumen Coast headlights from Costco for about $20 to $30 for 2. Save the rest of the money for batteries.

ScottyJ

Enlightened
Thanks for the help, I will probably just go the easy way with Costco. The flashaholic in me has a hard time with this though!!