Best law enforcement flashlight under $200?

HEDP

Enlightened
Looking for the best law enforcement flashlight under $200. Requirements are runs on rechargeable 18650 batteries, can be charged within the light with a USB, minimum 1,000 lumens, has strobe feature, durable, reliable, and tough.

What light matches that description?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not own this light. Read some reviews on it before purchasing. Make sure it meets your needs. Charging with battery in the light narrows down choices significantly. Olight is one of the few manufacturers that have ways to charge within the light and provide the lumens you desire.

Video overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ignu2eQNzE

Vendor:

https://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m2r-tactical-led-flashlight.html

Also, go to the batteryjunction website. Put in your criteria and it will pull up 6 different Klarus Flashlights for you to consider. Notably the Klarus XT12GT and XT12S.

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
Parametrek's database lists 87 1x18650 lights that have onboard charging and make at least 1000 lumens. It's a fairly common feature today.

While I reject the idea that there's a single "best" for a fairly broad category like "cop light", the first light I'd look at in OP's position is the Acebeam L30, preferably the 5000K neutral white version. Here's my review of the cool white version.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Parametrek's database lists 87 1x18650 lights that have onboard charging and make at least 1000 lumens. It's a fairly common feature today.

Thanks for the database mention. I came up with 36 matches and it is not clear how many of them charge within the light.

parametrek

Enlightened
it is not clear how many of them charge within the light.

There are several ways that statement could be read and I'm not sure what you meant. Could you explain it a little?

A few of the least expensive options (the Wowtacs) are probably not what you are looking for since the battery must be removed to charge it. In every other case if an 18650 light has micro-usb it is part of the light instead of the battery.

Some of them require that part of the light be unscrewed to access the micro-usb port. People seem divided on that feature. It promises the best possible waterproofing since the port is behind and o-ring but it isn't as convenient as an exposed port.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several ways that statement could be read and I'm not sure what you meant. Could you explain it a little?

A few of the least expensive options (the Wowtacs) are probably not what you are looking for since the battery must be removed to charge it. In every other case if an 18650 light has micro-usb it is part of the light instead of the battery.

Some of them require that part of the light be unscrewed to access the micro-usb port. People seem divided on that feature. It promises the best possible waterproofing since the port is behind and o-ring but it isn't as convenient as an exposed port.

You explained it really well. The selects in the parametrek database did not have an option for charging within the flashlight. Integrated Charger and micro-usb charging and magnetic charging were unclear as to whether one had to remove the battery from the light to charge it. Each of those three selects could be interpreted as that one has to remove the special battery with integrated charger from the light to charge it.

As an additional note, I would be concerned with the safety of charging a not major brand made 18650 within a not major brand made flashlight. So, I would stick to manufacturers like Olight and Klarus.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
How about Pelican's new 7070R?

1219 lumens, charger cradle via USB, belt carry holsters, has strobe and programmable UI via Bluetooth. I don't have one myself but I'm looking at picking one up soon. Going rate seems to be around $164 USD.

Keitho

Enlightened
The L16 is worth a look, if only for the brilliant UI. The tail switch is always turbo, all the time, no matter what. Side switch is an intuitive 1-click-on, 1-click-off, hold down to change levels, triple-click for strobe. Sky lumen website gives you 4 different LED choices and a lumen boost for very little money, great value. USB charging onboard, and a beam with a nice punch of throw and useful spill for SA.

Enjoy the search!

Zak

Enlightened
I like the idea of the L16vn just for the 5000K option. I swapped my own L16 to a 4000K 80 CRI XHP35 HI, as the original emitter was really harsh. I may end up swapping again to the 4500K XHP35A-H0-0000-0D0HC445E 80 CRI, as I have a couple in other lights and find the tint very nice for a Cree emitter.

But generally, I think the L30 is a bit better of an option, having a more balanced beam profile.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont forgot eagtac s200c2 and g25c2. They are build to install on the gun mount.. skylumen will offer different led tint..

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Surefire R1 Lawman Intellibeam, now discontinued, but being sold off by numerous sellers on ebay for sub $200. The light is charged ftom the supplied mains charger or the 12v car charger.

Its not a USB socket though.

P.S. Just checked, fewer sellers now and cheapest is $220, so no longer within your price limit.

Last edited:

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the don't necessarily meet your charging requirements, but I'd check out the Elzetta Bones or a Malkoff M61HOT. Both take an 18650 battery. Both are nearly indestructible and as reliable as they come.

Mister S

Newly Enlightened
Requirements are runs on rechargeable 18650 batteries, can be charged within the light with a USB, minimum 1,000 lumens, has strobe feature, durable, reliable, and tough.
What light matches that description?

I'm curious about your requirements. Do you want a light with 1000 lumens and strobe only? Do you want it to have a low and medium level also? Why do you require the light to be charged within the light with a USB charger? Do you plan on using only one battery?

HEDP

Enlightened
I'm curious about your requirements. Do you want a light with 1000 lumens and strobe only? Do you want it to have a low and medium level also? Why do you require the light to be charged within the light with a USB charger? Do you plan on using only one battery?

Something about there size of a Streamlight Stinger.

Only needs max output and strobe.

I have very little space in my locker so being able to charge from the light is important. Don't have room for battery chargers and got tired of bringing batteries home and charging them.

Doesn't have to be USB. Only charge within the light too.

Zak

Enlightened
The Eagletac GX30L2-DR is a good option for a better Streamlight Stinger. It comes with a battery pack made from two 18650s, but there's no reason not to use and charge standard protected 18650s in it. It offers a neutral white option, which I would recommend.

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
I was a cop for 10 years. I was in a life and death struggle, at night, and my incandescent Stinger hit the ground, and died. It was my only flashlight. I felt pretty helpless when my one and only light died at a time when I REALLY needed it. I never ever went back on patrol with only one light on my belt. My minimum was two lights on my belt for day shift, and three for night shift.

Your requirements are all wrong and make no sense. Many (most) lights that meets those requirements are probably low durability, low quality, general purpose lights, suitable for your grand mother to use to check the chickens at night. NOT suitable for a police officer that needs a working light as if their life depends on it (it does)

Does the dept provide a flashlight? Which one?

cp2315

Enlightened
Agrees with bib above me. How about one surefire g2x pro and one surefire fury single mode 600lumen. Then a few 16650 cells and some primary cr123 to back up? Total would be be close to $200. Very unlikely you will be left in the dark.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog on patrol and absolutely love it. Lots of throw with great spill and a dead simple u.i. put it above all else in my book.

Edit: Also I agree with bubbatime. I carry a HDS tactical rotary on my belt as well as a backup light. I would stick to Surefire, Malkoff, Streamlight, Elzetta, or HDS for a duty light.

Last edited: