flashlight

jason201710

Newly Enlightened
hi there,

I'm new here.I'm wondering how to choose a suitable flashlight.Any suggestions??Thanks!

scout24

Flashaholic
Hello, and welcome. I'm going to mo e your post to "Recommend me a Light" hoping you let us know what exactly you want a light for. Size, preferred battery, etc. :)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! If you go to the "Recommend Me a Light" subforum under "General Flashlight Discussion," you'll find a sticky note with a checklist of features. You can copy and past it into this thread and edit it with your preferences. You'll get tons of advice.

Cheers!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome aboard.

Well the first question to ask yourself is "what will I use it for"?
If it is for general purpose then you won't need a bunch of lumens. If it is for searching for a lost dog... lots of brightness.
Perhaps a multi setting light would do both.

Next, your budget.
Then fuel.
Will it sit a lot? If so ensure you either remove the batteries or know that some have a 'parasitic drain' similar to the tv that always pulls a little juice for faster startup.

Do you like simple, like an old side button Maglite? Or perhaps prefer a switch on the tail end.

What size is important?

Will you need close up light or distant, or both?

Around here we reccomend having a backup light as well.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard.

Well the first question to ask yourself is "what will I use it for"?
If it is for general purpose then you won't need a bunch of lumens. If it is for searching for a lost dog... lots of brightness.
Perhaps a multi setting light would do both.

Next, your budget.
Then fuel.
Will it sit a lot? If so ensure you either remove the batteries or know that some have a 'parasitic drain' similar to the tv that always pulls a little juice for faster startup.

Do you like simple, like an old side button Maglite? Or perhaps prefer a switch on the tail end.

What size is important?

Will you need close up light or distant, or both?

Around here we reccomend having a backup light as well.

+1 on that.

Some of the entry level quality LED lights that I recommend:

Key chain size - Maglite Solitaire LED - runs on 1 AAA cell.

EDC/pocket size - Streamlight 1l-1AA - runs on either a single CR123 or AA (will also run on a AAA in a pinch). Has a pocket clip that can also attach to a hat brim to work as a head lamp can be programmed/customized using Streamlight's ten-tap system.

Winter coat pocket/glove box size - Rayovac 300 Lumen "Indestructible" 2AA - very bright and rugged; has 2 brightness levels.

- Maglite 2 or 3C ML25 - basically a fatter version of the LED Mini Mag, single mode twisty. I like the size of the 2C running Eneloops, but if you intend to run C cells the longer running 3C version is probably the way to go.

Full sized - Maglite ML300 3D cell or ML50 3C cell - both have electronic side switches and 3 modes which can be customized with 4 programmable function sets.

I also highly recommend investing in some AAA/AA Eneloop batteries and a good smart charger. C cell lights are easy to run on AA's using a simple DIY spacer tube and can even be used in D cell lights with 3 AA to D parallel adapters.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Stating how much you would like to spend will usefully narrow your choices here faster than almost any other single piece of information ... :broke: