NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        

Thread: Always on powerbank

Default Always on powerbank

I want to use a powerbank to recharge various USB devices.
    The ones I have are designed to shut themselves off after about 20 minutes of little or no power draw.
    Do any of you know of inexpensive ones that can be set to be always on?
    I have lots of batteries so can complete one of the DIY kits as long as I know they are always on.

Thanks.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Always on powerbank

Can you explain why you want 'always on' and how you would define 'on' in various states such as no connections and connected? If you use one of the small charger ICs you can probably make it do what you want.

Not sure. Check out xtar pb2 on the banggood.com.. preorder currently for $11.99.

I have 2 of these, load then up with your own 18650s and go. They've worked great so far. They make a 2 cell version too

https://m.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_627026.html

Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Most of these packs shut off in a few minutes if the load draws less than about 100 mA. I have a few of the DIY units that I assembled that do this.
    I want to use them as a USB power supply for some wireless cameras to extend their run time instead of using the internal battery. When I use theses units the standby current of the camera drops low enough for the power bank to switch off which then needs manual intervention to switch it back on again.

Quote Originally Posted by Streak View Post
    Most of these packs shut off in a few minutes if the load draws less than about 100 mA. I have a few of the DIY units that I assembled that do this.
    I want to use them as a USB power supply for some wireless cameras to extend their run time instead of using the internal battery. When I use theses units the standby current of the camera drops low enough for the power bank to switch off which then needs manual intervention to switch it back on again.
    I had to buy another USB tester to figure out how low of current in ma that a USB LED dimmable board took on the lowest setting and it takes about half a ma of current I think very few power banks would stay on at that current level. If you don't mind a single cell 2000ma power bank that stays on walmart has them for about $5 in pink and black if they didn't change the design.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Streak View Post
    If you have basic electronic skills it is not hard to design a low-power/duty pulsing keep-alive circuit that inhibits the auto-power-off. You can find such DIY projects by searching on "powerbank keep-alive", e.g. Tricking a USB power supply on HackaDay, and Current pulsing keeps power bank active on Instructibles.

That search should also locate off-the-shelf solutions.

Alternatively you might be able repurpose an old low-power device for such purposes, perhaps the small PCB from an old wireless keyboard might do the trick. Or you might be able to modify the current-sense resistor in the powerbank.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 05-14-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks. I found those hacks. I was hoping for an off the shelf solution. In the meantime however it looks like the always on unit wont work the way I want it to either based on the cameras power design.

Flashaholic*

^^^ But I did see some off-the-shelf solutions in those search results. Did none of them suffice?

Unfortunately not. As mentioned, after doing some testing, the camera's power circuitry will not see any benefit from an external USB supply.

Flashaholic*

That's unfortunate. If anyone does find a good powerbank keep-alive load then please report on it since it would probably be useful to many readers.