torch anodization

alex74

Newly Enlightened
hello to all I would like to ask you a question about torch anodizing:
if I wanted to anodize a torch of a different color from the original one and the treatment recanted the whole body both inside and outside there will be problems to screw head and tail and problems of contacts and passage of current?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anodizing inside the body isn't a problem, but any contact points that carry power do have to be clean. So yes, you'll have to remove the anodizing from areas like the ends of battery tubes, or the shelf where drivers/switch boards sit.

alex74

Newly Enlightened
hi when you say the ends of the tubes do you mean the threaded parts of the body?
also the internal thread of the tailcap does not have to be anodized right?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
or, when the switch inside the tail cap has a "plate" where the body rests on, then just the end of the body has to be deanodized
so You can put the light into a "safe" mode with doing 1/2 a turn "out". When the threads are both bare, that is not possible

also I think to have read that anodizing does not add material, so putting the parts together again will not suffer
:thinking:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
... much easier (and safer) to simply purchase a 6P in the color ...
(+ have it bored to accomodate 1 * 18650 cell)

except from that:
inside is a switch retaining ring. put needlenose pliers inside the notches, unscrew and get everything out

PS, sorry for the open words: ;)
I highly doubt the success of such a project, if disassembling the tailcap aready poses the 1st problem
--> therefore: get a ready made one (+ "bored" for the 18650)