tree stand light with remote

juancho

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif <font color="green"> </font> Tree stand light, with remote

Due to a few incidents of stolen portable tree stands from the woods where I hunt, I removed all markings and reflective tacks leading to my stand. I was going to make a remote control flashlight with a CMG reactor and a little "tree-pod" that would attach to the tree. But a friend of mine told me that it had already been done; it is called a "tree stand light" and Cabelas' has it. If you want to see a picture go to www.cabelas.com and put "tree stand light" in the search engine.

It has 3 LED's in a shallow reflector, using 4 AA batteries and seems to be well sealed with gaskets. It is a dark green color to blend with the environment and attaches to the tree by a long strap. The switch has three positions; RF (for remote use), OFF and ON for constant light. In the RF position the instructions say that the range is 100 yards. Here where I live I don't have that much range, it was good for l75 feet of reach but when I moved to 200 feet it didn't reach that far, but it may be that I was already under the street wires for electric, cable and phone, and they obscure the radio signal.

The remote is non-directional; I can be looking north and the light would be south and it will light the same. It has a little cable antenna coming out of the bezel, and the head can be rotated up or down. It measures ¾ inches long by 3 ¾ wide and weighs about ¾ of a pound. I put a 6" by 6" piece of aluminum foil in the tree under the antenna to catch more of the signal but the results are inconclusive as I don't have the range.
The remote have two buttons. Press one and the light flashes three times, press the other and it will stay on for 3 minutes and remain shut off until you press again. This is a light that can benefit from the use of AA lithium batteries, as it get cold in November where I hunt and the light will be exposed to the environment the entire day (and night).

After covering the antenna hole with a little bathroom caulking, I submerged the light in my kitchen sink (5"of water). I switched it on and watched four minutes, and no bubbles raised form it. I shook the water off and put the light in my freezer for 45 minutes, and it was still on when I finished the testing (as my wife had arrived from work).

I have been using this light to find a path to my bathroom in the dark and I have the remote control in my night table and can navigate to the bathroom without a compass.

Juan C.

Is better to be a flashoholic than an alcoholic.