Fitorch        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightsaver miser guts fit sf 6p tail!

Flashaholic*

Default Lightsaver miser guts fit sf 6p tail!

Just found that the guts of the lightsaver incand multimode tail cap for SF E-series is a direct replacement for the stock 6p twisty tail cap. Just like mcclicky but better since no interface ring is required

To me this is huge. The aw multimode regulator has been unobtanium for years while this miser can be had for just $10 right now from here:
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Lightsaver-Mi...ight/785708989

I have used the miser on my e2e with 350lm bulb on 2x imr, so at this load it functions great. Now tried it in the fm 1794 host, 1000lm for a couple seconds, it survived the test

Go get some while supply lasts. Just paid for two
    Last edited by ma tumba; 05-20-2018 at 04:23 AM.

Default Re: Lightsaver miser guts fit sf 6p tail!

Well that's what i needed! Thumbsup!

I need to scroll through Fivemega threads, again. This is a big deal in sleepy incan world.
    Last edited by id30209; 05-20-2018 at 07:21 AM.

Good info. Thanks.

The listing words incase the link above is verboten.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 05-20-2018 at 08:14 AM.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

How do you install this exactly? Or is it a tailcap? I''m confused

Flashaholic*

I unscrewed the guts out of the miser with needle-nose pliers and then screwed them in in place of the mcclicky. Entirely straightforward

I don't have a PayPal account and don't do the Bay. I just tried searching for this product and didn't come up with any hits. If anyone finds a non-Bay source of this, could you please post it here or PM me? Thanks!

Edit: Oh, Gosh. Sometimes I am so ignorant in the ways of the world. I don't want to get a PayPal account, but did not realize until now that you could do a "buy it now" on the Bay as a "guest" using one's credit card. Anyway, I just purchased one of these. I have an empty Z24 shell I can screw the guts into, perhaps after playing with the entire unit on an e-series. Thanks ma tumba for this thread!
    Last edited by novice; 05-20-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Guys keep us informed on service life (ie which combination you're using) i belive it says operating voltage 4-6V. I would use it in 2 IMR setup (7.4V) but still didn't arrived. Any info is welcome.

[QUOTE=id30209;5208723]Guys keep us informed on service life (ie which combination you're using) i believe it says operating voltage 4-6V. I would use it in 2 IMR setup (7.4V) but still didn't arrived. Any info is welcome.[/QUOTE

The packaging says 3v - 6v, so it should run fine on one Li-ion. I just emailed the company (info@lightsaver.co.za) to ask if they think it will be okay up to 7.4v, or even 9v. Do they even know it will fit into a Z41, or that there are those of us who will be thinking along those lines? I didn't really mention modding, because I didn't want to upset any of their legal consultants. I will be curious to hear back from them.

Can't wait for an answer!

Flashaholic*

Whatever they reply, I've been using the miser with 2x16350 imr @1.5amp for a year and this week I went through 2x18500 imr @3amps (the 1794 host with miser guts)
    Last edited by ma tumba; 05-21-2018 at 10:26 PM.

That's it then! More then enough! Thx

I received an email back from lightsaver, and Ma Tumba's experiences have definitely provided the most data of all.
    Here is the email I sent lightsaver:
    "Hi,
    I recently bought several of your lightsaver miser units. I know that they are intended to be used in one- and two-cell
    Surefire E-series lights (which were never made in a 3-cell version), but I use rechargeable Li-ion cells most of the time,
    and I was hoping that these could be used with 2x3.7 volts Li-Ion cells (for a total of 7.4 volts), or with 3xCR123a cells
    (9 volts)to run other lamp assemblies. There are several other members of my flashlight forum who are quite curious about
    the same question, and who would be eager to buy them if the answer is yes. Do you think that this unit could run at up
    to 7.4 volts, and/or up to 9 volts? Thank you!"

Here is their reply:
    "Good morning xxxxx.

Thank you for your mail, it is good to hear that the tail caps are still around !

We supplied to types of replacement tail caps for the Surefire E series.

1. Switch with dimming functions (100% - 50% - 25%) Not sure if this is the one you call the "Miser"

Unfortunately the maximum voltage for this product is 5.5V. So it can't be used at the voltages you describe.

2. Switch with strobing function (On - Off - Strobe)

This product has a voltage regulator. The maximum input voltage for the voltage regulator is 10V. So it might be possible to use this switch in your application.
    Please measure T8 while the flashlight is on to check that the switching noise does not exceed 10V. The maximum current ability for the switching MOSFET is
    4A so make sure the current does not exceed 4A.

I hope this information will be useful - please mail us if you have any more questions.

Kind Regards,
    xxxx xxxxxxx
    LIGHTSAVER(PTY)LTD."

After I bought the first one, I went back and got three more. Because of what Ma Tumba has done, I will put one on an e-series
    running 1x17670, another e-series running 2x16340, the guts of another in a 6P+A19 running 2x17500, and the guts of one in a
    12ZM running 2x17670. We will see how things go for me.

Thank you again, ma tumba, for letting us know about all this and sharing your experiences.
    Last edited by novice; 05-24-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Flashaholic*

Interesting that while they market their product for e2e which is 6v flashlight, they are talking about 5.5v limit

ma tumba,
    I received my order of lightsavers today. I installed 2 of them on 2 e-series, and they do what they are supposed to. This may seem like a silly question, but when I looked down into the guts - anticipating unscrewing some of them for some 6P tailcaps coming in - I have a hard time seeing anything past the spring. Did you pull the spring out? Did you just gently insert your needle-nose pliers in through spaces in the spring, and then start turning? Are there "official" spanner wrench divots in there? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    Interesting that while they market their product for e2e which is 6v flashlight, they are talking about 5.5v limit
    123's are 3 ea volts resting. They sag under load to less than 2.8 so 5.5 is about right.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    ma tumba,
    I received my order of lightsavers today. I installed 2 of them on 2 e-series, and they do what they are supposed to. This may seem like a silly question, but when I looked down into the guts - anticipating unscrewing some of them for some 6P tailcaps coming in - I have a hard time seeing anything past the spring. Did you pull the spring out? Did you just gently insert your needle-nose pliers in through spaces in the spring, and then start turning? Are there "official" spanner wrench divots in there? Thank you!
    As far as I remember, there is a black retaining ring on the opposite side, around the rubber button. You need to unscrew this ring and remove the guts with the spring

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    123's are 3 ea volts resting. They sag under load to less than 2.8 so 5.5 is about right.
    That is correct of course

Flashaholic

Just ordered one of these tailcaps for my E2E. I plan on running mine on 2 IMR 16430's and a Lumens Factory HO-E2R. I hope I have good luck running on the IMR's like ma tumba has. I will make sure to report back my results.

The price of these things almost seem too good to be true.

Just picked one up. Can't wait to try it out. I wonder why they say no LED? This on an E series with a VME Head and an M61 would be ideal! I have a bunch of incans I'll try it on if it doesn't work out like that though.

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    I wonder why they say no LED?
    LiftdT4R, I can't give you a technical reason, but I tried one of my recently-arrived Lightsavers on an E2L AA Outdoorsman with an E2C adapter, Z44, and M31L. It didn't really work. No flickering that I noticed, but on the 2nd click, it dropped down in brightness, but just barely. Certainly not 50%. Three clicks in a row dropped the brightness down twice, but again, just barely each time. For whatever reason - at least for me - it didn't work the way that it works with incan.

To run an incand bulb dimmer, all you need to do is just lower the voltage (under drive) but LED driver needs minimum voltage to run. Anything less won't even powerize the driver.
    To run an LED dimmer, driver needs to control the current.

=============
    Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    I plan on running mine on 2 IMR 16430's and a Lumens Factory HO-E2R.
    Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    pair of Lithium primaries will run OK within the voltage limit but pair of rechargeable will have way higher than limit.
    Last edited by fivemega; 05-27-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Flashaholic

OP says he has been running his on
    2x16350 imr for a year with no problems. The 6V limit might be bogus and just a CYA by the company.

Flashaholic

Man this little tailcap is AWESOME!!! Wow.

I always considered the A2 Aviator to have a big advantage over the E2E in that it offered a long running mode for those times when you didn't need full output. Now with this tailcap, it has certainly closed the gap some between these two lights usefulness.

And it seems to be running just fine with 2X16350 IMR's so far.

One of the best things happend recently. And cheap!
    Everybody seems satisfied with it.

Flashaholic

Here is a piece of useful information I found. Look at that runtime and efficiency!

The values shown show burn times with a discharge to 50% off charged battery voltage. Click here to View the Chart.
    • P60 6V FP � Full Power discharge 100%
    • P60 6V MP � Medium Power discharge 50%
    • P60 6V LP � Low Power discharge 25%Test Value Time for Useful Light to 50% of battery voltage:
    • 100% - 1H 12 Minutes
    • 50% - 2H 24 Minutes
    • 25%- 4H 10 Minutes
    • Slow Function Only -- Can achieve a 8X factor of battery life in emergency conditions.

Apparently they make/made an Olive drab tailcap too. I emailed the Ebay seller but he says he is not likely to get one in stock.

I would really like to know how this tailcap is working exactly. I also wonder if the lamp life will be reduced.

That is what we were looking for. It would be great to see them in FM incan mods.

Just stumbled uppon this one:
    http://www.armyproperty.com/store/p/...switch-upgrade

Check on voltage range usage!!!
    This one is 6P,Z,M version.
    Anyone here in the army or know somebody to purchase for us who is interested?
    Last edited by id30209; 05-31-2018 at 03:28 PM.

I just removed the mechanism from a lightsaver I already had and tried it on a nitrolon cap. The assembly only goes so far into the cap, so the button is not quite flush with the outside of the cap. Also the cap only goes on a couple of turns. Outside of that, the switch works as described: three light levels and two blinking modes.

Quote Originally Posted by sidfishez View Post
    I just removed the mechanism from a lightsaver I already had and tried it on a nitrolon cap. The assembly only goes so far into the cap, so the button is not quite flush with the outside of the cap. Also the cap only goes on a couple of turns. Outside of that, the switch works as described: three light levels and two blinking modes.
    I belive it will work, ma tumba already told he's using it for some period of time but i'm eachy on that true 6V-12V option...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast