need high-discharge AA NiMH

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
I need some high-discharge AA NiMH batteries. It's actually for an audio recorder, not a flashlight, but I can't think of any group that knows as much about such matters.

I got some AA NiMH batteries at Harbor Freight, and they work well in my Thrunite Archer 2A V3.

ven

Flashaholic
The eneloop AA pro's would be my choice, ones in the black wrap.
The white eneloops are not to be sniffed at either, also excellent cells. The pro's are 2500mah V 2000mah of the white loops.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA Eneloops will deliver 5 amps pretty easily, or about 5-6 watts per cell. The Pros are a little better (slightly less voltage sag), but the regulars are fine too. But for high drain, I'd go with the Eneloop Pro since it has about 25% more capacity which you probably want for run-time.

You can push them higher than 5 amps, but voltage sag starts to become pretty bad beyond that, and their run-time will drop significantly.

I'm guessing 5 amps is way more current than you actually require, so the Eneloops should work very well.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using AAA Eneloop Pros in my Tascam DR08, they work like champs.
If as Arch says, you can find out current draw, someone else might be able to chip in.
P

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
Do you know the current draw required ?

According to my Kill-a-Watt the wall wart draws 1 watt (120v) when it's plugged in, and 2 watts when it's hooked up to the device and the device is on.

The instruction manual specs the power consumption at "4.0 Watts (DC)." It uses 4 AA batteries.

It's worked with some sets of NiMH that I've tried it with but not others so I want to get a good set to go with it.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to my Kill-a-Watt the wall wart draws 1 watt (120v) when it's plugged in, and 2 watts when it's hooked up to the device and the device is on.

The instruction manual specs the power consumption at "4.0 Watts (DC)." It uses 4 AA batteries.

It's worked with some sets of NiMH that I've tried it with but not others so I want to get a good set to go with it.

Yeah, that's only 1 watt per AA cell. That's nothing for an Eneloop, either regular or Pro. You'll get a couple of hours run-time, even if it draws 4 watts continuously. You'll likely get longer run-time than that.