Wuben        

Thread: Do CR123A leak ???

Default Do CR123A leak ???

I picked up another G2 last week, and it came yesterday. Not having any extra 16650 cells laying around, I dropped in a couple of CR123A cells I had lying around in my battery box. After I tested my new G2, the thought hit me. Has anyone ever seen a quality CR123A cell leak? I won't be using this light much if at all, and I don't want it to get gooked up by a leaking cell.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Default Re: Have you ever seen?

Nope never seen or heard of a CR123 leaking.

I did have a overdischarged Eneloop AAA leak though, just a drop or 2 of rust colored fluid that stained the white disk on top of the battery but didn't seem to do any damage aside form that (the cell still functions with good capacity).

Default Re: Do CR123A leak ???

Quote Originally Posted by Timothybil View Post
    I picked up another G2 last week, and it came yesterday. Not having any extra 16650 cells laying around, I dropped in a couple of CR123A cells I had lying around in my battery box. After I tested my new G2, the thought hit me. Has anyone ever seen a quality CR123A cell leak? I won't be using this light much if at all, and I don't want it to get gooked up by a leaking cell.

... title replaced with something informative ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

I've used a lot of them in my ADT alarm sensors for 15 years and never had one leak. Even some of the Chinese sourced versions they provided, haven't leaked.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Leaking, not usually. But they can fail catastrophically.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...CR123A-primary

This next one caused permanent damage and, in my opinion, is required reading for anyone looking to use loose lithium based cells (primary or li-ion). Battery safety is important!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ight-Explosion

Long story short, using two or more CR123a batteries in series of differing voltages (or if one battery drains faster, which can happen with cells from different manufacturers, times, or partially used cells), the lower voltage cell can end up being charged. The ultimate result being potential for catastrophic failure, and gases like hydrogen fluoride are released. There are other scenarios in which a battery can fail, and it is important to treat them properly.

https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/hydr...sics/facts.asp

Yeah, the cheap ones have an explosion problem so skip those, avoid the issue in quality cells my mating them by nearest voltage when using more than one. Other than that all they do is slowly let off ether.