Fenix Outfitters        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone done Self Discharge tests on Eneloop Pros?

Default Anyone done Self Discharge tests on Eneloop Pros?

Just seeing if anyone has done any self discharge tests on Eneloop Pros or the newer Ikea Ladda Whites.

I bought some of the new Ikea Ladda White 2450mAh AAs when they were made available in Australia in 2016.

I also have used a 4 set of Eneloop Pros in the past but I've mislaid them in some equipment and can't find them atm.

In terms of stated capacity, I have no problems with the Ikea Ladda Whites. They have all charged up to at least 2400mAh (up to 2550mAh on my Maha C9000, on my Lacrosse BC700 at 500mA charge, the come up a bit higher at 2600mAh).

I use the Ikea Ladda Whites in my hiking Garmin GPS that I take for multiday hikes, and I've been happy with their performance. They perform like my lost Eneloop Pro set. I get more hours of battery life out of each pair of AAs than I previously did with standard 2000 mAh Eneloops or the Energiser 2300mAhs that I used to use regularly with that GPS.

Self Discharge Testing
    The batteries from my packs were stamped with "1637" (The date format is different from Eneloops, but I guessed the first two digits were the year, and the second two is the weeks of the year - which made these September 2016, and I picked them up at the end of that month).

I set one pack of 4 AAs aside - discharged and charged them four times, and then left them for 6 months.

First Self Discharge Test After 6 months (March 2017) they showed:

Not sure what happened with the last one, but the other three show around 66% of their original capacities.

This is quite a bit more self discharge compared with Eneloop Pros which are meant to be 85% within 1 year.

I meant to leave them for 12 months to see what the self discharge would be, but messed up when they went into the charger about 8 months in and I forgot to record the results.

So I ran the same 6 month self discharge test again on that batch - I also ran through four discharge/charge sessions before fully charging and storing them for 6 months.

Second Self Discharge Test (June 2018)

Again that last one seems to be the worst of the batch - discharging higher than the other three, but the others are between 66-70% of their capacity after 6 months. This is still a greater self discharge than with the stated Eneloop Pros which is meant to be at 85% in 12 months.

So - has anyone done any self discharge tests on the Eneloop Pros? So that I can compare them with my Ikea Ladda whites?

Or have I done something wrong on my batches for testing?

I have two sets of 4 AAs for testing, and I've written identifiers on them so I don't mix them up (eg, 1-1, 1-2 etc for set number and cell number). I have charged them up again, and will leave them for 6 months and 12 months.

Default Re: Anyone done Self Discharge tests on Eneloop Pros?

I donít do discharge tests.

When I went to ikea a while ago I picked up one of their 12 cell chargers that looks like a book and stores easy in a book shelf along with gobs of their aa and aaa ladda cells. Used in all the stuff around the house. So far the ladda by a long shot stay in electronics noticeably much longer before they need to be swapped out. I notice no difference between energizer 2300s and eneloop 2000s. Them ladda 2450 cells though, last way longer. Even the wife and kids who think all rechargeables are the same exact thing report they last way longer.

Im not too concerned about the numbers game. I just want cells that last long while in service. None of them sit long enough to worry about any kind of discharge. Max some of them might sit is 3 months and if thereís a difference between off the charger and sat a few months, itís so little that no numbers matter in any way at all. As far as the energizer eneloop and ladda goes anyway.

Hi,

Sometimes we just like to know that we are getting what we think we are getting.
    The higher capacity cells are more expensive than the regular cells, so i would want to see a higher reading on self discharge. If not, it would not make any sense to pay the extra money. So it's a money game too.
    Take care,
    Al
    LED's vs Bulbs, the battle is on.
    My bumper sticker: "I Brake for LED's"
    To err is human, to theorize divine.

Got Light?

On the money game side, the ladda are cheaper than the energizer 2300s that are decent cells. They are about half the price of eneloops (2000mah) and the ladda are about half the price of the energizers. The ladda are out performing both of them by a long shot. Canít even compare the more expensive options to them when you put the money game into it. Even if they only get half the cycles of an eneloop you can buy twice as many and still be 1/3 total money spent less.

Choice is clear, go ladda around my place. When time comes to get more I will phase out the energizers and get more ladda.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Boris74 View Post
    On the money game side, the ladda are cheaper than the energizer 2300s that are decent cells. They are about half the price of eneloops (2000mah) and the ladda are about half the price of the energizers. The ladda are out performing both of them by a long shot [...]
    But the OP reports that the ladda have much worse self-discharge performance - which is the topic at hand. Do you have any data on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss163 View Post
    But the OP reports that the ladda have much worse self-discharge performance - which is the topic at hand. Do you have any data on that?
    None. My data is purely useage data. The ladda 2450mah cells out perform in electronics use by a long shot. Iím not into storing nimh cells for long term. I use them. Eneloop 2000 and energizer 2300mah are great reliable cells but the ladda are so much better in use. One of my tv remotes has a pair of ladda aaa and itís been 7 weeks. Still going strong and we notice when the other cells are getting weak in it. The other brands last about half that in that remote.

Just pointing out you can discharge and charge several times then store them a long time. All of them. Tells everyone exactly nothing about actual in use performance. A ladda AA will run my S1A as long as a 14500 on the 220 and 60 lumen modes, and runs moonlight longer than a 750mah 14500.

Ive come to the conclusion discharge, capacity and storage discharge tests tell me exactly nothing how a cell will perform in real world use. Thatís just me. Iím not a hobby charge and store battery user. I use them till dead, charge and repeat. Ladda is the best Iíve used so far.

Different uses result in different reports. Donít use ladda if youíre into storing them. If your using them in electronics till dead then charge and repeat, the ladda go longer between charges.

Flashaholic*

None. My data is purely useage data. The ladda 2450mah cells out perform in electronics use by a long shot. Iím not into storing nimh cells for long term. I use them [...]
    But LSD superiority impacts not only storage lifetime. It also greatly impacts lifetime in low current devices (e.g. remotes, alarms, wireless keyboards, multimeters, etc). Many of these devices will have multi-year life with a top-tier LSD cell, but much less life with HSD cells (e.g if the cell discharges in few months then that is an upper limit to the life).

Anecdotal evidence only goes so far. You need to do controlled tests to obtain accurate results. The superiority of LSD cells in low-drain devices has significant real-world impact - it is not purely marketing hype.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 06-05-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks Boris. You might have not seen the bit in the first post as it is quite long, but I have stated that I no problems with the capacity/performance of the Ikea Ladda whites.

There are some other threads you can continue the discussion on Ikea Ladda capacities and performance like these:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...te)-703-038-76
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...900mAh-(White)
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...es-and-charger

You can see even in some of those I posted about being excited about these Japanese made cells that likely come from the Fujitsu factory.

But I am after comparison on long term self discharge on if anyone else has done them for ENELOOP PROS. If not, I will go out and buy a four set and test them in comparison with my 8 AA ikea laddas I have for self discharge testing.

If Ikea Ladda whites are rebadged Eneloop Pros, I would have expected similar self discharge in comparison (85% in 12 months), but my sets are coming up with higher self discharge after 6 months 60-70% after 6 months). I have done this twice now in case the first was an abberation (hence it has taken over one year). If I buy a set of Eneloop Pros, I won't find out their self discharge for another year. This is why I am asking here now.

I have now over 6 sets of 4 Ikea Ladda White AAs. Two are set aside for self discharge testing, and the others I am using in field. It might be a problem with the test batch I have. My other sets are stamped "1642" so I suspect they were also 2016 42nd week (so October 2016). I can pick up a newer batch to test as well.

Also, I am discharging them after 6months using 500mA on the Maha C9000.

TLDR:

• I am happy with Ikea Ladda White performance and capacity
    • But my Ikea Ladda White AAs seem to be self discharging at greater rate than Eneloop Pros.
      • Ladda - 66% capacity after 6 months
      • Eneloop Pros - advertised 85% after 12 months.

• OP looking for anyone who has done long term self discharge tests on Eneloop Pros

Flashaholic*

One of my tv remotes has a pair of ladda aaa and itís been 7 weeks. Still going strong and we notice when the other cells are getting weak in it. The other brands last about half that in that remote.
    What kind of TV remote eats through batteries in just weeks??? I use regular Eneloops in all my remotes, and at most I charge them twice a year, and that's just to make sure they're topped up. Most of them I only charge every couple of years.

One of the main advantages of Eneloops is that you can use them to replace alkalines in low-drain devices, so you don't have stuff ruined by leaks. For those uses, ideally you really need them to last for years between charges.

But LSD superiority impacts not only storage lifetime. It also greatly limits lifetime in low current devices (e.g. remotes, alarms, wireless keyboards, multimeters, etc). Many of these devices will have multi-year life with a top-tier LSD cell, but much less life with HSD cells (e.g if the cell discharges in few months then that is an upper limit to the life).

Anecdotal evidence only goes so far. You need to do controlled tests to obtain accurate results. The superiority of LSD cells in low-drain devices has significant real-world impact - it is not purely marketing hype.
    +1

There's definitely a place for higher capacity NiMH cells that sacrifice some low-self-discharge. IMO, that's only for the most frequently used high-drain devices. Everything else benefits from very low self-discharge, because a light might sit on a shelf for months between uses. And, of course, remotes and clocks, etc.

What kind of TV remote eats through batteries in just weeks??? I use regular Eneloops in all my remotes, and at most I charge them twice a year, and that's just to make sure they're topped up. Most of them I only charge every couple of years.

One of the main advantages of Eneloops is that you can use them to replace alkalines in low-drain devices, so you don't have stuff ruined by leaks. For those uses, ideally you really need them to last for years between charges.
    the remote gets used a lot. Other brands get weak and unless you point it right at the sensor on the tv or are close other brands poop out faster. Still work, not as good. The ladda, I can point it at one of the walls away from the tv right now and it functions. Theyíre still pumping out power and at this rate itíll be a long time until they go through a few cycles to get full potential.

So so ladda isnít good for charge and store. Ladda are the best I got for charge and use. Right now I wouldnít even compare 2000mah eneloops. Not even fair. They just donít last as long. Iím not doubting any charge and store then compare to others data, Iím not into that so itís inane to me or anyone else who is a battery user, not a hobbiest charger and test half a year later.

Mine discharge themselves like a boss. Every time I go to use my camera flash (Canon 430EX) they're about half dead. I'm glad these 4 are the only XX's I bought; I feel like the regular white Eneloops are the way to go.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Mine discharge themselves like a boss. Every time I go to use my camera flash (Canon 430EX) they're about half dead. I'm glad these 4 are the only XX's I bought; I feel like the regular white Eneloops are the way to go.
    My problem has always been usage frequency. I just don't use my batteries as much, but for a Phillips type Pronto LCD remote from 2000, my Gateway RF wireless keyboard/mouse and a couple of other TV remotes that don't get used that much, so my stuff sits.

I'm running break-ins on all of my AA/AAAs right now, just to have something to do with them...and to get them ready for hurricane season.

I wish I could adopt a kid so he/she could play video games all day long.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    My problem has always been usage frequency. I just don't use my batteries as much
    Same here. I have a drawer full of Eneloops sitting since I pretty much only use 18650 these days. Some in remotes and kids toys obviously, but those just get cheap alkalines and last forever.
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    What kind of TV remote eats through batteries in just weeks??? I use regular Eneloops in all my remotes, and at most I charge them twice a year, and that's just to make sure they're topped up. Most of them I only charge every couple of years. [...]
    Agreed. Something is seriously wrong with the remote (or the batteries or the charger) if the life is only a few weeks. Regular (2000mAh) eneloops should last at least a year or two in typical usage, and they should outlast the Ikea Ladda Pros given their higher self-discharge rate (assuming the OP's results are typical).

It's sad to hear that the lower-priced Ikea Ladda Pros have such high self-discharge rates. It would be interesting to see any further tests on such to help confirm whether or not the OP's results are typical vs. a bad batch.

The remote uses aaa, not aa. White eneloops just donít cut it compared to the ladda. The wife and kids use the remote a lot. I donít. All I do is swap the cells when they tell me itís dead.

The AA Ladda last noticeably longer in the game controllers. If I get 60% of the charge cycles the eneloops will give me then Iím way ahead of the money game. At 1/3 the price per cell. Iíd be stupid to ignore in use data. Storage discharge rates arenít a concern when they go from charged to being used till dead observations. Maybe someday Iíll get into storing nimh cells long term. I donít see that happenening anytime soon. I got other hobbies to occupy my time.

Flashaholic*

The remote uses aaa, not aa. White eneloops just donít cut it compared to the ladda [...]
    The are a few possible explanations:

(1) The OP's Ikea Ladda AA's don't really have high self-discharge (e.g. OP got a bad batch).

(2) The AAA's don't have the same high self-discharge as the AA's reported by the OP.

(3) None of your devices are truly low-drain so their life is little degraded by the higher self-discharge reported by OP

To reason further, for (1) and (2) we need more self-discharge tests, and for (3) we need to know what lifetime you are getting with the Ladda Pros in your remote.

Flashaholic*

we need to know what lifetime you are getting with the Ladda Pros in your remote.
    I think he said just a few weeks, which is ridiculously short for a TV remote even if it does get a lot of use. He said other brands in it are even worse. There's either something wrong with his remote, or whoever designed it needs to get a demotion in his/her job.

I think he said just a few weeks, which is ridiculously short for a TV remote even if it does get a lot of use. He said other brands in it are even worse. There's either something wrong with his remote, or whoever designed it needs to get a demotion in his/her job.
    What about parasitic drain in any give device?

I have a 20 year old Marantz RC5000 (Phillips Pronto) LED learning remote with a monochromatic 2"x3" display and it uses a 4s AA arrangement (6v) and even banging on it hard, I get a good month from my standard NiMH type batteries.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGarrett; 08-05-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Flashaholic*

The few weeks appears to be for "other brands" (cf. quote below). Not clear if that includes 2000mAh eneloops. In any case it seems like all of Boris's devices are high drain (including, strangely, his remotes), so his benefits likely stem merely from extra capacity and/or fresh cells. With higher drain devices it is difficult if not impossible to casually notice poor self-discharge performance since it has minimal impact - amounting to only a tiny fraction of the device's average discharge rate. For such anecdotal evidence to be useful for the OP they'd have be be for lower drain devices - those lasting at least 6 months or so on a single charge.

One of my tv remotes has a pair of ladda aaa and itís been 7 weeks. Still going strong and we notice when the other cells are getting weak in it. The other brands last about half that in that remote.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 06-06-2018 at 02:20 PM.

no, the Ladda have been in 7 weeks with no change in performance from new. I said after a few weeks eneloop and energizer aaa Nimh are getting weak. As in aimed right at the sensor or real close to work. I can point the remote at the wall 180 from the tv right now with 7 week in the remote Ladda aaa cells and it works perfect. The weak cells are swapped when they need direct aiming. Not when they are completely dead.

no, the Ladda have been in 7 weeks with no change in performance from new. I said after a few weeks eneloop and energizer aaa Nimh are getting weak. As in aimed right at the sensor or real close to work. I can point the remote at the wall 180 from the tv right now with 7 week in the remote Ladda aaa cells and it works perfect. The weak cells are swapped when they need direct aiming. Not when they are completely dead.
    IKEA doesn't make NiMH batteries and those that they sell, are sourced from China and from Japan.

So how would you account for this discrepancy?

Do you think that IKEA is somehow skimming the cream off the top, when it comes to the manufacturers, be them Chinese, or Japanese in origin?

I think most of us are in agreement that the FDK plant in Japan, now owned by Fujitsu, is making the state of the art NiMH batteries and while Panasonic has manufacturing plants in China, making NiMH Eneloops, they don't possess the technological patents that Fujitsu now holds.

I've used Chinese batteries, Taiwanese batteries, and Japanese batteries, even some Sanyo HSDs back when Sanyo was still the owner of the technology and while they worked, they all died after 2-3 years.

Chris

Hi,

Just a quick note about the self discharge tests.
    This test has to be done under controlled temperature conditions. The higher the temperature the more self discharge. Over a somewhat longer period of time this makes a difference. If someone tests theirs at a temperature of 70F and someone else tests theirs at 90F that's quite a bit of difference after 6 months.
    Take care,
    Al
    LED's vs Bulbs, the battle is on.
    My bumper sticker: "I Brake for LED's"
    To err is human, to theorize divine.

Got Light?

Flashaholic*

I just did some long term storage self discharge tests on Panasonic Eneloop Pro and Duracell DuraLock. I had originally planned to do 1 yr and 2 yr self discharge test, but I had put these away 2+ yrs ago when I moved and forgot about them. I have some more tests coming, including Eneloop XX and Eneloop AAA, but will post them all in a separate thread.

Notes: They were in an Air conditioned space the whole time 78-80 deg in summer, cooler in winter. The numbers in (##) are my codes for the cells.

Test 1: 3.5 yr. Self discharge test:
    Charged with a Break-In cycle charge on Powerex MH-C9000
    Charged on 31 Jan 2015, Discharged on 2 Aug 2018

Results:
    2pcs Eneloop Pro AA min.2450 mAhBK-3HCCA (Date code 14-05 LN)
    (EP4) = 1924 mAh
    (EP5) = 1919 mAh

2pcs Duracell DuraLock AA 2400 mAh (aka Duraloop Pro)
    (DP1) = 1666 mAh
    (DP2) = 1665 mAh

Test 2: ~ 2 yr 1 mo. Self discharge test:
    Charged with a simpler 1000mA charge on Powerex MH-C9000
    Charged on 25 June 2016, Discharged on 4 Aug 2018

Results:
    2pcs Eneloop Pro AA min.2450 mAhBK-3HCCA (Date code 14-05 LN)
    (EP1) = 1984 mAh
    (EP3) = 2002 mAh

2pcs Duracell DuraLock AA 2400 mAh (Duraloop Pro)
    (DP3) = 1683 mAh
    (DP4) = 1687 mAh

Then I recharged all with a Refresh Cycle (1000mA/500mA Charge-Discharge-Charge) and measured discharged capacity in that cycle as:

(EP1) = 2477 mAh
    (EP3) = 2494 mAh
    (EP4) = 2488 mAh
    (EP5) = 2471 mAh

(DP1) = 2316 mAh
    (DP2) = 2327 mAh
    (DP3) = 2250 mAh
    (DP4) = 2249 mAh

Conclusion: This era DuraLoop and Eneloop Pro are not the same. Eneloop will take more initial charge and will also have more capacity after 3.5 yrs. . The Duraloops are pretty good though and were about half the price and at the time I think I bought them locally at Target. Not sure if you can still find them or if they have switched manufactures.

Note: I've had poor results with other "re-branded 'loops" like Amazon Basics and the Chinese LSD cells so can't recommend them for critical applications.
    Last edited by cave dave; 08-08-2018 at 05:40 AM. Reason: added photo
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by cave dave View Post
    I just did some long term storage self discharge tests on Panasonic Eneloop Pro and Duracell DuraLock...
    Thanks cave dave. That's exactly the data I was hoping someone would have done. That seems to be closer to my recollection of Eneloop Pros self discharge rates. Yours showing 80% after two years is quite good, but over 75% after 3.5 years is really good.

I am glad I'm not the only one who does these, and my method of marking the cells and the sticky note in the battery box looks almost the same as your method.

I am now onto testing a third set of Ikea Ladda Whites - stamped "1804" so made in January, 2018 for long term self discharge testing. I will check two of them next year in June 2019 for the 12 month test, and the next two I will check in June 2020 for the 24 month test.

The other earlier 2x4 sets of mine were made in "1637" so made in September 2016 that I have already done two 6 month self discharge tests on. They have been discharged and recharged again, and I will do the same 6 month and a 12 month test on a pair of each.

Preliminary Conclusions Ikea Ladda White Self Discharge Rates
    From my two of my 6 month discharge tests were showing Ikea Laddas at between 65%-70% of capacity and SweD's tests of his Ikea Ladda Whites, http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...hs-test-of-SoC showing about 72%-73% after 6 months.

While this is a fairly small sample, they are across various production batches, and it does appear that the Ikea Ladda Whites are not exactly as Eneloop Pros where self discharge rates are concerned. The Ikea Ladda Whites have a greater self discharge rate compared with Eneloop Pros.

Flashaholic*

Added test results:

Test 3: 2yr 1.5 mo. Self discharge test:
    Eneloop AA, Dark Blue regular HR-3UTGA, circa 2012:
    Charged 16 June 2016, Discharged 31 July 2018
    (DB1) = 1563 mAh
    (DB2) = 1553 mAh

Test 4: 2yr 1 mo. Self discharge test:
    Charged with a Break-In cycle charge on Powerex MH-C9000
    Charged on 08 July 2016, Discharged on 6 Aug 2018

2pcs AA Eneloop XX, min 2400mAh, HR-3UWX (Date code 11-06 LL)
    (XX1) = 1719 mAh
    (XX2) = 1739 mAh

4pcs AA Duracell LSD 2000 mAh, made in Japan (pre-DuraLock)
    (DL1) = 1420 mAh
    (DL2) = 1432 mAh
    (DL3) = 1432 mAh
    (DL4) = 1501mAh

Unfortunately, I didn't put sticky notes with charge dates on all of the sets. So I have results for other batteries without the charge dates:

Unknown time frame results, but at least 2 yrs in storage:

Test 5:
    Duralock AAA, 850 mAh >2yr:
    693 mAh
    701 mAh

Test 6:
    Eneloop AAA light green 2012 model, min 750 mAh >2 yr
    (LG1) = 624 mAh
    (LG2) = 641 mAh
    (LG3) = 647 mAh
    (LG4) = 643 mAh

Test 7:
    Eneloop AA, Light Blue regular HR-3UTGA, circa 2012:
    not sure on charge date, over a year maybe more

(LB1) = 1687 mAh
    (LB2) = 1686 mAh
    (LB3) = 1684 mAh
    (LB4) = 1704 mAh

I have some June 2016 charged AAA pros, and white AAA eneloops coming next.
    Last edited by cave dave; 08-07-2018 at 05:12 AM.

Thanks Cave Dave..very useful to have that data. I might like to add that to my website in the future. If so I will ask you for permission.

Flashaholic*

I added test 7 above.

I have notes somewhere from 3.5 yrs ago documenting 6mo and 1 year tests I did on the Pro vs Durapro cells pictured above. So when I find them I can add them in.

Other notes:
    I had labeled cells that received some sort of mistreatment. For instance a white AA eneloop that I had dropped on hardwood and a Duraloop pro that I had over-discharged in some device down to about 0.15v. So far neither of those events seemed to impact the long term performance of those cells.

When I am done with the long term storage tests, I have some Eneloops in remotes, clocks and stuff that I will do a cycle on. The ones in a remote are labeled as weak performers (1611mah, 1532mah) from a refresh cycle (been in use since 2006).

Flashaholic*

Another test, this time on Eneloop Pro AAA

Test 8: ~2yr 1.5 mo - Self discharge test:
    Charged with a 500mA charge on Powerex MH-C9000
    Charged on 19 June 2016, Discharged on 8 Aug 2018

4pcs Eneloop Pro AAA, min 900 mAh, BK-4HCCA (Date code 14-01)
    (p1) = 707 mAh
    (p2) = 651 mAh
    (p3) = 713 mAh
    (p4) = 688 mAh

Next up: Since the last time I bought Eneloops was 2014 I decided to refresh the stock. Some of my knockoff China made LSD cells that I use in remotes, calculators, wireless keyboards/ mice are starting to fail so I want to replace those with my older real eneloops which are still doing fine. I ordered some new Eneloops using Chibi's eneloop101.com link to Amazon. They arrived yesterday with 2018 manufacture dates. I'll test the out of package capacities.

Aswesome Cave Dave!
    Looking forward to the data!

Flashaholic*

I found 6 pages of notes like below from various tests like 1mo, 6mo, 1yr tests and some out of the package tests.

I also found 3ea 2006 AA eneloops in a dead LCD weather clock. They were drained to 0.01v, 0.05v, 0.78v

They seemed to have charged up just fine on a 1000mAh charge and they will be in a discharge cycle in an hour. Let's see if they survived. Don't try that with LiIon!

*** EDIT - Update ***
    With the refresh cycle on the "over-drained" white 2006 AA eneloops the discharge capacity was:

6-1) Drained to 0.01v, test discharge = 1723 mAh
    6-2) Drained to 0.05v, test discharge = 1673 mAh
    6-3) Drained to 0.78v, test discharge = 1593 mAh

Not what I expected from the voltage readings. Those are still usable cells if they still have LSD. I think I'll cycle them or do a forming charge and then let them sit for a month to check there LSD abilities.
    Last edited by cave dave; 08-10-2018 at 04:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast