Angryfox        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone done Self Discharge tests on Eneloop Pros?

Default Re: Anyone done Self Discharge tests on Eneloop Pros?

Thats kind of funny.
    I would image the other way around, the one with the most voltage would have the most mAh.. But i was wrong. Interesting stuff.

Flashaholic*

Test 9: Eneloop AA, Unknown Storage time, two cells were marked as "weak" from previous tests.

4pcs Eneloop White AA, circa 2006
    (9) = 1673 mAh
    (10) = 1485 mAh (previously marked as weak)
    (11) = 1648 mAh
    (12) = 1242 mAh (previously marked as weak)

Test 13: Rayovac Hybrids AA that were just laying around the last two years. Marked as known poor performers

RH1) 0 mAh 0.09v
    RH2) 0 mAh 0.08v
    RH3) 0 mAh 1.14v

Did a refresh cycle:
    RH1) refused to charge (high impedance)
    RH2) 2167 mAh
    RH3) 234 mAh

Note: The Rayovac Hybrids (made in China) have never impressed me. If you can get them cheap they are OK for remotes and calculators, but they don't have the durability or LSD of real eneloops.

That is the last of the stored eneloops the next set of tests are 'loops in various devices (clock, remotes, etc), and some brand new 2018 cells.
    Last edited by cave dave; 08-12-2018 at 09:57 AM.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Flashaholic*

Some tests from LSD cells inside various devices (clock, etc) below:

Test 10: Duracell Duralock AAA 850mAh, stored inside PT EOS headlamp for at least two years
    Note: EOS has small vampire drain, and may have seen very brief usage.
    Unknown charge date (>2yr), Discharged 11 Aug 2018.

1) 373 mAh
    2) 387 mAh
    3) 376 mAh

Note: The EOS vampire has sucked half the juice out!

Test 11: Eneloops in a LCD clock for almost two years
    White 1st gen Eneloops Circa 2005 and 2006
    These were fast charged (1000mA) in October 2016 and seemed to be powering the clock just fine. Discharged 12 Aug 2018.

2005-1) 262 mAh
    2005-2) 209 mAh
    2006-3) 225 mAh

Note: The clock needed a recharge, but would have probably gone another couple months for the full two years. I have these on refresh cycle and will update this post with discharge cap when done. These are some of my oldest eneloops. There are others around from 2005 but I can't find them.

Test 12: Rayovac Hybrids AAA in scientific calculator (H2, H3, H4) and a Lumintop worm (H1) recharged 11 days ago (known poor performers)

I knew these cells were bad, I have them at work and they used to run the calculator for a year and now only last a couple months. I charge these on the cheap white eneloop charger that came in a packed in a set from ~2006
    Charged on 30Jul2018 and discharged on Discharged @ 200mA on 10 Aug 2018. (11 Days)

H1) 0 mah
    H2) 409 mAh
    H3) 0 mAh
    H4) 337 mAh

Note: The PowerEx refused to charge H1 and H3, they gave a high impedance warning. I put them on the Xtar and that at least that tried to charge them, but H3 couldn't take a 200 mA discharge and immediately went below 0.9v and stopped on the Powerex.

After a couple charge discharge cycles I am getting:
    H1) 356 mAh
    H2) 533 mAh
    H3) Won't take a charge
    H4) 520 mAh
    I am guessing these have also lost there LSD capabilities. I'm going to try a forming charge later on these, I threw H3 in the trash and the rest may follow, although they still do power that calculator for a couple months
    Last edited by cave dave; 08-12-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Flashaholic*

Bought some Brand New 2018 Eneloops from Amazon

Eneloop AA, Discharge straight from package, note factory charge is reported as 80%
    BK-3MCCA, min 1900 mAh, Date Code 18-03 YF

18-1) 1393 mAh
    18-2) 1397 mAh
    18-3) 1387 mAh
    18-4) 1383 mAh
    18-5) 1388 mAh
    18-6) 1395 mAh
    18-7) 1388 mAh
    18-8) 1381 mAh

** updated this post with 8ea AAA

Eneloop AAA, Discharge straight from package, note factory charge is reported as 80%
    BK-4MCCA, min 750 mAh, Date Code 18-04 OH

AAA-1) 555 mAh
    AAA-2) 556 mAh
    AAA-3) 562 mAh
    AAA-4) 554 mAh
    AAA-5) 558 mAh
    AAA-6) 558 mAh
    AAA-7) 554 mAh
    AAA-8) 554 mAh
    Last edited by cave dave; 08-19-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Wow, just wow!
    Thanks for all the tests. I actually had a clock that I did a test on with an eneloop Lite vs standard eneloop. The eneloop Lite took exactly 1 year (maybe a few days difference) and the standard eneloop exactly 2 years...

ps. where did you get the 80% charge from factory from? I've never seen them mentioning 80%!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiM View Post

ps. where did you get the 80% charge from factory from? I've never seen them mentioning 80%!
    I thought that was just well know CPF folklore going back all the way to 2006. I have also seen the number 75% thrown about. All testing seems to show that somewhere in that range seems to be the case.

Edit: My personal theory is that the factory does that so that if one were to throw them on a charger straight from the package the cells would have a chance to charge and warm up a bit and get a good clear dV/dt termination signal. If they were fully charged in the package then some chargers might not get a proper termination signal and would try to overcharge the cells.

My other theories are they charge then discharge some at the factory to test voltage characteristics as part of a QA process, or that its just cheaper and quicker to charge them to 80%.
    Last edited by cave dave; 08-14-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Flashaholic*

Popcorn Re: Anyone done Self Discharge tests on Eneloop Pros?

I updated above with New 2018 AAA out of the package results.

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiM View Post
    Thats kind of funny.
    I would image the other way around, the one with the most voltage would have the most mAh.. But i was wrong. Interesting stuff.
    I have a theory about this. The powerex is only reporting mAh not power or voltage (you can view volts at any point in time, but I don't want to stand there and record it every min for 5 hrs). I think on the low voltage, possibly damaged cells there is higher impedance and the voltage is suppressed. So while they go longer, there is less voltage during the run, so overall less power output in Wh. This is just a theory since I don't have the right equipment to monitor the voltage during the discharge run.

Quote Originally Posted by cave dave View Post
    I thought that was just well know CPF folklore going back all the way to 2006. I have also seen the number 75% thrown about. All testing seems to show that somewhere in that range seems to be the case.

Edit: My personal theory is that the factory does that so that if one were to throw them on a charger straight from the package the cells would have a chance to charge and warm up a bit and get a good clear dV/dt termination signal. If they were fully charged in the package then some chargers might not get a proper termination signal and would try to overcharge the cells.

My other theories are they charge then discharge some at the factory to test voltage characteristics as part of a QA process, or that its just cheaper and quicker to charge them to 80%.
    I've not been here as long as you, so I'll defer to your experience, but I've often read 70% solar charged.

Regardless of the number, these 'pre-charged' batteries are labeled as such, so one can use them out of their pack and get a reasonable amount of usage before charging.

With HSD batteries out of their packs, one is probably closer to 0, after a few months of sitting on the shelf, vs. 70%, or 80% for the LSD offerings.

Of course, discharge current with be the final arbiter of what true capacity is left, out of the pack.

These were 38 month old, out of the pack, Gen. 2 Glitter 5 Year Anniversary Eneloops discharged at 300mA:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-38-month-test

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12