Triples/quads are on their way out...

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be a false profit, but you heard it here first.

Now with higher power brighter LED options like the Cree XM-L2 90CRI that has been out, and with a tiny throwing Nichia 219c HiCRI 4000K, triples/quad designs, creating a wall of flood, become complex and unnecessary, duplicated with a single brighter LED and removable diffuser.

Certainly, some will want triples and quads of the brighter new LEDs with 2400+lm of flood clipped in the pocket. But it is a purposeless design if it can't throw with that many lumens, serving only to blind and wow.

I'm not dogging triples and quads. Cree and Nichia are.

scout24

Flashaholic
I find my triples and quads to be good 100+ yard throwers just based on sheer muscle with narrow clear optics. All the while, providing a nice wide even beam up close. I'll not argue with your position, but will be interested to see other responses. :)

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not so sure about that. Just like other formats, triples and quads have their place. I agree with you in that I find single emitter/reflector setup more useful in more situations that I typically use flashlights in, but I have to say that triple and quad setups look waaaay cooler, and most of the people that are into flashlights are in it for the cool factor. Just look at the various facebook groups and look at the culture that currently exists: exotic materials and finishes, unique and artistic designs, and the extremely high prices some are willing to pay for these designs. It has become more of art and jewelry rather than a tool. If that culture continues as strongly as it has lately, then triples and quads are here to stay.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see triples and quads losing ground to new LEDs like XHP-50 and XHP-70 that can produce similar lumens and beam shape with more efficiency, like in Zebralight's SC600 Plus models. I stillthink triples will be around for a while if just for being easier to drive than 6v or 12v LED.

I would also contend your assertion that floody beams are "purposeless". I don't know why this notion seems so persistent that every light needs to be a thrower. Sometimes throw is useful. Sometimes flood, like a triple or even mule, is useful.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I would say triples and quads are on their way out as much as reflector lights are. There will always be a market , for some, it may be the beam type they want over a more traditional style hot spot/spill. Also there are benefits to triples(or quads) , you can run your nichia's or xpl HI's etc with less power supplying each and still getting plenty of light.

Larger LED's have their place, i have enough of them(xhp's), but they still imo dont beat my 219b's. I do like my xhp35 and xhp50 around 4500-5000k. As with triples/quads they get pretty toasty just like the bigger xhp's. So output compared, realistic 600-800 or so lumens in a typical 18650 host for long duration's, i can enjoy 219b and 219c at similar brightness levels. For me they are not competition, just all choices/options for flashaholics. I dont pick my xhp50 5000k ZL plus over any nichia triple because i want more/less output. I would pick the ZL simply because i want a soft 5000k bright flood. Not because one is brighter.

If i pick a triple 219b up, i want a nice 4500k hi cri large hot spot in that style of beam pattern.
RoGLFPCl.jpg

Same with quads
vwqdrJDl.jpg

Options of swapping out optics to tweak that beam profile is also a bonus.

I can see how they come about years back, to help out with output, yes LED's these days can kick out high lumens singly. These LED's that can kick out crazy are quad die and reflector depending, can have a + in the beam. Other than the odd few trick drivers(think zebralight and their xhp lights using 18650), for hosts they require 8.4v. So a typical 18650 fed host would need 2x 18350 cells. Granted the aspire 1100mah cells have changed things much for the better. But swapping out 2 cells which still get eaten pretty quick is not convenient at any time.

My xhp70 runs on 2 x aspires in a bored c2 host
0xw2Tgyl.jpg

As much as i like it a lot, it gets limited use compared to my triples and quads which are single 18650 fed. Not saying either is best as its all subjective and that decision is on the user, but for me different altogether between triples and large die options.

Just imo, i enjoy both and will continue for many years to come.....................oh triples and quads look just as cool today as they did years back when 1st came out.:cool:

:)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I much prefer my Zebralight SC600 Plus, to any quad. The Zebralight is floody, but the quads are floody to an extreme that makes them somewhat useless except indoors.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should limit my prediction to pocket lights.

Other than Manker, I don't know of any mass produced triple or quad. Multi-PowerLED just breached the non-custom market, but not fast enough to keep up with LED dev.

No reason to toss your sweet Mac triple, or whathaveyou. They are very cool and will remain so.

I mean with these new bright LEDs, going forward with new pocket light designs, I think simplicity and efficiency will push the design of triples and quads from ever gaining a foothold in mass produced pocket lights. We won't see them, and if they do appear, we won't want them by then.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly, some will want triples and quads of the brighter new LEDs...

Exactly.

For big HP lights, multiples will continue to be popular for the same reason that made them popular.

More is better.

spaceminions

Newly Enlightened
Multiple emitter flashlights on their way out? As if. The emisar d4 has been flying off the shelves so to speak, and there's plenty of people interested in the fw3a triple. When there are small emitters capable of more throw than is always needed, there will always be the option to put several of them side by side to make more output instead, or make the same output more efficiently.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should limit my prediction to pocket lights.

Other than Manker, I don't know of any mass produced triple or quad. Multi-PowerLED just breached the non-custom market, but not fast enough to keep up with LED dev.

No reason to toss your sweet Mac triple, or whathaveyou. They are very cool and will remain so.

I mean with these new bright LEDs, going forward with new pocket light designs, I think simplicity and efficiency will push the design of triples and quads from ever gaining a foothold in mass produced pocket lights. We won't see them, and if they do appear, we won't want them by then.
Emisar
Jaxman
Acebeam
Sofirn
Eagletac/Sportac
EDCPlus
Wuben
Astrolux
Torchlab
Lux-RC
PFlexPro

All sell triples and quads. I'm sure there's more as well. This is just what I remembered.

Last edited:

texas cop

Enlightened
Emisar
Jaxman
Acebeam
Sofirn
Eagletac/Sportac
EDCPlus
Wuben
Astrolux
Torchlab
Lux-RC
PFlexPro

All sell triples and quads. I'm sure there's more as well. This is just what I remembered.

AceBeam EC65 quad Nichia 219C or Cree XHP35 Hi, with 206 or 258 meter throw.
Luminus sst-40 is also needing the triple or quad love.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There once was a 54 lumen LED Lenser called 'tri max' that had 3 emitters. Someone once said "now that the LED can put out 100 lumens we don't need triples anymore."

IMG_20180607_134428.jpg

Photo borrowed from a facebook friend. Thanks hacker.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny because an XHP70, XHP50 Is a quad that's miniaturized to a single die.
I'm looking forward to seeing quads and triples, and optics made for XHP70, etc.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
But it is a purposeless design if it can't throw with that many lumens, serving only to blind and wow.
The purpose is to illuminate a wide area instead of a narrow corridor for which you´ll need binoculars to actually see what you are illuminating in 500m distance.

Throw is for baby flashoholics :devil: :D :laughing:

Eric

ven

Flashaholic
It's funny because an XHP70, XHP50 Is a quad that's miniaturized to a single die.
I'm looking forward to seeing quads and triples, and optics made for XHP70, etc.

Exactly! Still to get out big figures, quad dies are required(well usually except the odd one like mtg2 and maybe the newer expensive 90............not sure if quad die or not with that).

Quad quad sounds pretty cool!

Thing is for me, 3000 or 4000lm in small form is all cool and fun, but when it boils down to it and its needed for any duration past seconds. It does not matter to me if its a quad in optics or an xhp70. The output/balance/run time/colour temp/tint and beam type matter more than what is used in the business end. For general use, in headlamp form the xhp50 at 140lm in neutral white works fantastic. In small flashlight general use, the 320lm/145lm of luxeon T 5000k(sc62d), triple 219b on 20% output and around 150lm(h17f/219b 5000k) works great . If i want big output for long duration................i just go big altogether. Other than fun, its not much use practical wise, when 2000+ lumens are a want or need, simply put its time for the big guns.
oqCSKVyl.jpg

Back to triples n quads..................so useful and can be fun
zZpkvF8l.jpg

9y8ecQdl.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
There once was a 54 lumen LED Lenser called 'tri max' that had 3 emitters. Someone once said "now that the LED can put out 100 lumens we don't need triples anymore."

IMG_20180607_134428.jpg

Photo borrowed from a facebook friend. Thanks hacker.

That olight is one good lookin light! $150 off the $600 tag on the 8th iirc.................one day only. :naughty:
edit-corrected date

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whether or not they are, I love mine and will continue to purchase them. The much anticipated FW3A is a triple that is pushing the limits of size and function which I hope will reach production sooner rather than later. I have a triple Samsung 4000k convoy S2 sitting here and it is amazing!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thing is for me, 3000 or 4000lm in small form is all cool and fun, but when it boils down to it and its needed for any duration past seconds.

Two exceptions I can think of to that, which I use:

1. Winter time. When it's -10C or -20C outside, you can run a hot-rod light on max for as long as the battery holds out.

2. Cycling. I bike with a Zebralight SC600w MkIV Plus, and I measure it at 2700 lumens. (It's spec'd at 2300, but whatever it is, it's bright!) At night with the breeze from cycling, it doesn't ramp down at all. (Well, until the battery gives out after about 30 minutes.) It might be overkill for cycling, but it's fun to use it that bright.

ven

Flashaholic
Thats the main issue for me with small single cell lights....................high output eats battery. So that is one of the reasons i prefer big multi cell lights. 2000, 4000, even 6000lm is nothing on a light like the rc40. So if i need big output and any decent run time(1hr min but ideally several potential hours), nichi or hi cri LED's are not a requirement, but far throwing bright neutral light is. Granted its more long walks/fun than actual need, but for those types of uses.

A couple of halloweens back i EDC'd an m43vn, used on 20% which is near 2500lm and could manage the heat with decent run time. It was sure fun lighting up streets to the sides and straight down them.

I love the little ZL's,
Pz1RDnNl.jpg

but they dont compete for pocket space against my triples and quads. Not because one is better than the other, simply down to one is more suitable than the other for a given application. Unlike yourself, most my ZL use is bellow the 300lm output, more close up to moderate distance type uses. One thing i do like a lot with ZL's , the form factor for 18650. Similar in size to many typical 16340 lights, yet all the benefits of an 18650 fuel tank.
U3sk8gVl.jpg

Last little break we had, i took a couple of the ZL with me, a HI 4500k and plus 5000k
JKEvHasl.jpg

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
That olight is one good lookin light! $150 off the $600 tag on the 9th iirc.................one day only. :naughty:

The SALE is on FRIDAY JUNE 8th. :thumbsup: