SunwayLED        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: offroad driving lights recommendations?

Default Re: offroad driving lights recommendations?

Our problem is manpower and limited medical resources. I will say it is tons of fun. Our stages are run on a mixture of sand and clay forestry fire roads.

I've been running a pair of Xtreem LED cubes for over 100,000 miles and a set of cheap-n-stinky bigger cubes for about 60,000 miles.
    Offroad torture, flood pattern.

They both still work great. The cheap-n-stinkies have some projector optics and actually throw light a good way. The Xtreems are flood only and I point them to the sides to see ditches and trees, etc. The housings of the cheap-n-stinkies is faded to grey; the Xtreems still clean up and look new.

These are probably rebranded and available all over but this company has been around a while and provides decent service --- link my pick lightbar for you: https://extremeledlightbars.com/extr...ens-combo-beam
    Their home page: https://extremeledlightbars.com/

I was camping along with the Baja team 3 or 4 years ago and they lit up the side of a hill with a set of their lights. Baja Designs makes some sick lights. But pricey...

Quote Originally Posted by Travler View Post
    Don't know how I missed this thread for so long. I have a problem in wooded areas at night with losing depth perception or out running the headlights. What causes this and is there anything I can do to improve my off road safety at night? Don't say slow down because I can't I run heavy sweep for a NASA rally held here every year and half the stages are after the sun sets.
    No prisoners: https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...ary-Lights.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    Rigid makes some side illumination cubes also. Been looking at those to add near the A Pillar but worried about surface glare of the hood.

Those are much large and a pair up front would be nice. Would need to find a mounting location that did not block the grill or existing factory signal lighting. I could mount them on the roof rack as it sits back from the windshield edge. This would block any close up down lighting. I see they offer a driving/spot 42/6 degree combo and a high speed 6 degree spot. If these were roof mounted what would you suggest? A combination of each pair (4 lights). If two different pairs, what would you suggest for line up? Driving, Spot, Spot, Driving or just the opposite with the driving in the center 2 positions.

As a disclaimer so no one is confused this is strictly for off road use. Mostly fire roads and logging trails.

What's the maximum speed you intend to drive these "sweeps"?
    How far is the longest straight stretch on the course?
    Spot beam are at their best on fast sports cars running on long high speed straight stretches, where they will pick up a reflection off of a sign or a car in front of them so that the driver can adjust his speed in time. They are not really for seeing a clear picture of what's in front of you. They project a small intense circle of light far into the distance and the good ones have no light scatter outside of that small circle, which means they are useless for cornering.
    A couple of driving beams for distance and a couple of cornering beams for tight corners will be far more useful to you than what you are looking at.
    Oh, and keep the lights off the roof. All they will do there is reflect off all the dust in the air and decrease your vision.

Dust is one of the problems, well not actually dust but sand. Light reflects off that like hitting a wall. It will screw with your night vision and depth perception. Corner or ditch lights like some call them would be a big help if they can give me some range not right in front of me. I hit speeds as high as 90 mph on the straights or open sections with no trees so I can see a better picture of the course than what is right in front of me. These roads are highly wooded, some of them lined with pine trees right to the edge of the road. Navigator is calling 90 degree right x number of feet ahead. I am going where?? All I see is trees. Hard to spot an opening between the trees at night. GPS does help. Most turns have some type of conspicuity tape usually non-reflective yellow. Great at daytime not so at night. Then you have course workers that monitor radio traffic and know last rally car and will take down tape blocking traffic or indicating a turn in a T intersection before I come thru. Complaining does no good there is always someone in a hurry. Imagine a tightly wooded road with a T intersection and you are headed directly towards a wall of trees. It is like being in a shoebox. You lose a sense of braking distance, you can't spot the turn for all the trees. It all blends together.

Hella 4000's come in a variety of beam patterns including cornering and are said to be good lights. A combination of 2 driving beams in the center and a cornering beam on either side would set you up for any road you'd care to tackle.
    There may be more modern combinations from other suppliers that would work also.
    There is nothing that will light up a sharp turn in the road that's completely hidden by trees until the last moment. Don't they let you pre-run the stage before the rally?

No pre-run for racers big no no. Being local I do have the ability to at least survey the route ahead of time. I don't get a route book till the night before, but stages are usually listed on internet before rally. I try to put them in the GPS with waypoints but changes are made between the internet and publishing route book. These roads are typically open for public traffic because of private residences inside the state forest.

The only pre-running the actual rally racers do is the day before after tech. They hold a parc expo and take local dignitaries for rides on a non stage section. It is a large money maker for the county and various cities always vie for publicity.

Yeah I don't expect to actually see the turn till I am too close. In a planted forest with uniform spacing between trees a larger gap than normal usually means there is a road there. I have had navigator scream TREE a few times. Yeah it is good for a laugh later on. Also most of the roads have tall berms on each side so that is a better clue when you can see ahead and notice a break in the berm.

Rigid makes some side illumination cubes also. Been looking at those to add near the A Pillar but worried about surface glare of the hood.

Those are much large and a pair up front would be nice. Would need to find a mounting location that did not block the grill or existing factory signal lighting. I could mount them on the roof rack as it sits back from the windshield edge. This would block any close up down lighting. I see they offer a driving/spot 42/6 degree combo and a high speed 6 degree spot. If these were roof mounted what would you suggest? A combination of each pair (4 lights). If two different pairs, what would you suggest for line up? Driving, Spot, Spot, Driving or just the opposite with the driving in the center 2 positions.

As a disclaimer so no one is confused this is strictly for off road use. Mostly fire roads and logging trails.
    I don't like A-pillar lights unless they're pointed to the side, ditch lights. They just mess with my eyes pointed forward unless they're pencil beams.

Up on the roof? A couple of the 6 degree spots would give you you daylight for about a half mile. I'd keep the combos low though.

And avoid their (or other company's) amber option. Not sure what they're thinking with offering that.

Another quality contender is the VisionX line. https://www.visionxusa.com/producttype/led-lights/
    Korean, not Chinese, and decent customer service/warranty. I haven't seen their bigger lights in action but the smaller Light Cannons aren't slouches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    I don't like A-pillar lights unless they're pointed to the side, ditch lights. They just mess with my eyes pointed forward unless they're pencil beams.

Up on the roof? A couple of the 6 degree spots would give you you daylight for about a half mile. I'd keep the combos low though.

And avoid their (or other company's) amber option. Not sure what they're thinking with offering that.

Another quality contender is the VisionX line. https://www.visionxusa.com/producttype/led-lights/
    Korean, not Chinese, and decent customer service/warranty. I haven't seen their bigger lights in action but the smaller Light Cannons aren't slouches.
    Thanks for sharing your results of using A pillar lights. The more I look at those LP9 lights the more fitting I think they would be for me. A pair of bumper level combos will be possible. They can be set on the bumper just inside of the headlights without blocking any OEM lighting and still allow good airflow into grill. A pair of roof spots would be fine with me. I don't really want a row of roof lights like a wanna be.

I hadn't looked at VisionX in years glad to see they have stepped up their game.

No pre-run for racers big no no. Being local I do have the ability to at least survey the route ahead of time. I don't get a route book till the night before, but stages are usually listed on internet before rally. I try to put them in the GPS with waypoints but changes are made between the internet and publishing route book. These roads are typically open for public traffic because of private residences inside the state forest.

The only pre-running the actual rally racers do is the day before after tech. They hold a parc expo and take local dignitaries for rides on a non stage section. It is a large money maker for the county and various cities always vie for publicity.

Yeah I don't expect to actually see the turn till I am too close. In a planted forest with uniform spacing between trees a larger gap than normal usually means there is a road there. I have had navigator scream TREE a few times. Yeah it is good for a laugh later on. Also most of the roads have tall berms on each side so that is a better clue when you can see ahead and notice a break in the berm.
    Wait, your competitors aren't allowed reece to write pace notes ?
    we have a series here that is done on the "road book" which is just the intersections, and dangerous spots, they only run the stages during the day, and entry fees are a lot cheaper.
    most competitors run the full championship - and get one pass over the stages in the morning at 60kph, to write notes, one competitive run during the afternoon, and one at dusk/night.

CeeBee is right about the Hellas, I have 4x spot Rally4000 compact on my Subaru forester, and they are very good. I do want to change out 2 of the reflectors for the wide beam version, but haven't yet (got an amazing deal on the spot version, but had to buy all 4. I have one wide beam reflector, just need the last one)
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

I've had a running love affair with the Hella 4000s for a decade. But, these days, they suck juice, are heavy, susceptible to vibration.
    10 years ago LEDs weren't up to speed. They've jumped lightyears in performance in a short time.

Flashaholic

For both of you guys looking for lights - consider Fyrlyts.

In standard form a 150 watt halogen which matches well with halogen headlights. The beam is quite broad but with enough punch to give good light out to around 600m. You might say somewhere between the Hella Rallye 4000 Spot and Euro beams, but with a much higher volume of light and smoother, more even pattern.

They have much better range than most LEDs and the halogen colour doesn't tend to pick up and reflect from any smoke or mist in the air. Colours appear much more natural, meaning that picking up wildlife or breaks in the trees is much easier. Being a reflector design they throw the light a lot further than an LED so you don't get that extreme foreground flood that makes it so hard to pick up things in the distance.

I've used them on my 4WD for around 5 years now and they're ideal for the night runs that we do - so similar needs to what you have. The country around here is mountainous with not a lot of very long, straight roads. I have found these lights vastly better than the pencil beam Lightforce that I had previously. Once out in the flat country they still have enough range that you're not over-driving them, even at speeds up to 130km/h.

There is a high wattage version with 250 watts at 24 volts and 9000 lumens which blows most LED bars out of the water, but it comes at a price. The standard ones sell here for around $500AUD so probably $450ish over there. At this mid-range price point there isn't anything else that I can think of that comes even close in terms of both performance and, importantly, quality..
    Last edited by NFT5; 08-15-2018 at 08:16 PM.

You sounds like you like your Fyrlyt lamps. That's fine, and you have a relatively minor, partially valid point about light color, but a 150 watt lamp (that is 300 watts and 23 amps for the pair!) is just nowhere near reasonable any more, especially not at that level of money.

Also, "They have much better range than most LEDs" is not a statement supportable by facts. Neither is "Being a reflector design they throw the light a lot further than an LED" -- that's as unrealistic as saying "Being cylindrical, a cucumber gives much better home security than a vegetable". Most LED lamps for vehicles use reflector-type optics! And even if the thing about reflectors "throwing light a lot further than LEDs" were true (it's not) or had any basis in fact (it doesn't) or made any sense (it doesn't do that, either), the next statement after that ("so you don't get that extreme foreground flood") wouldn't follow from it.
    Last edited by -Virgil-; 08-16-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Fyrlyt and Lightforce ---- some people worship them. And they both can take a beating.
    They're both pretty thirsty though. I'd use them if I got them for free; I've got a 160 amp alternator...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12