Best AA light for me?

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I just love the last flashlight I bought. Its a Fenix FD45. These days I prefer to use my AA lights more than my 18650 lights. My TK40 was my first decent flashlight, therefore its my safe queen. But this FD45 I am going to use daily! You can pop AA's in a charger and leave your house, no worries. But with 18650's you do need to take more care as a fire is not totally out of the question. Now, I will never sell any of my 18650 lights, and will buy more with time. But for now, AA lights rule my world.

Last night we had a power failure. I used my FD45 on its 150 lumen setting, and all went well. Then I wanted to get something in a drawer and realized 150 lumens is far to much. I then remembered again why I like variable ring control lights.... To go down to its 50 lumen setting, I must first cycle the light through all the modes to get to 50 lumens. This is where a variable control ring light's UI is streets ahead, in my humble opinion. Of course tastes differs, but ring controlled lights just do it for me.

So I am in the market for a new AA flashlight again lol.
Do you get a 1000 lumen+ flashlight that features a variable control ring and is powered by 4 or 6 or even 8 AA batteries? That would be my ultimate favorite light.

PartyPete

Enlightened
If you strictly want some in the AA format, the Thrunite TN4A is another consideration, powered by 4 AA.

I believe there's a Nitecore model that takes 8x AA and is about 2000 lumen. However, don't expect any sort of sustainable output; you'll be down from 2000 lumens to 1500 or less in a few minutes.

I'm not sure if they have any current models, but at one time Fenix had a 8x AA light as well.

Jader

Newly Enlightened
The only 4 AA rotary light I know of is the Sunwayman M40A but it is limited to 645 lumens. If it doesn't have to be a rotary control you expand your options.

lwknight

Enlightened
I might suggest, based on:
My first favorite AA flashlight was the Fenix TK41 with 8AAa. The size and shape is very close to the old 2D Incans that we could buy for $0.99 with 2 Carbon D cells included. You got a whopping 30-40 lumens LOL! So the TK41 was a bit bulky and I discovered the Fenix LD41 which is a good bit smaller but still with 4 levels from 680 lumens down to 30 or 40 whatever so that became the new favorite.
As of late I find myself being drawn to the 2AA lights and the 2AAA lights for most things. I have the big badass throw kings and all that but I just like smaller find your way in the dark, pocketable lights.

I think you should check out the 4AA lights like Fenix LD41 and Nitecore EA45S as well as some 2AA lights. The 8AA lights really don't offer much more except bulk ,run time and a little more throw. For things like looking in a drawer or reading a gauge you just don't need a lot of light but is nice to have it available just in case.

BTW: the TK41 does qualify as a search light because of the amount of aluminum in the body to dissipate heat but it just don't go well in my pocket.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I might suggest, based on:
My first favorite AA flashlight was the Fenix TK41 with 8AAa. The size and shape is very close to the old 2D Incans that we could buy for $0.99 with 2 Carbon D cells included. You got a whopping 30-40 lumens LOL! So the TK41 was a bit bulky and I discovered the Fenix LD41 which is a good bit smaller but still with 4 levels from 680 lumens down to 30 or 40 whatever so that became the new favorite.
As of late I find myself being drawn to the 2AA lights and the 2AAA lights for most things. I have the big badass throw kings and all that but I just like smaller find your way in the dark, pocketable lights.

I think you should check out the 4AA lights like Fenix LD41 and Nitecore EA45S as well as some 2AA lights. The 8AA lights really don't offer much more except bulk ,run time and a little more throw. For things like looking in a drawer or reading a gauge you just don't need a lot of light but is nice to have it available just in case.

BTW: the TK41 does qualify as a search light because of the amount of aluminum in the body to dissipate heat but it just don't go well in my pocket.

They are all good suggestions. But they are basically the same as my FD45. I can just as well get another FD45:twothumbs. Yes I like my FD45. I geniunely want my next light to be a fully magnetic ring controlled light. I do own a lot of skinny single cell lights, that is why I am into short, fat flashlights for now. I do realize such lights in multiple AA format is as scarce as chicken teeth, so i am looking at other power sources. I like the Sunwayman V60C a lot. I just feel why do they not give it more lumens? I feel a light working with 3 x 18650's must give more lumens than a 4x NiMh light at it's maximum setting, and should be easily able to do so. If it was a 1200+ lumen light, I would have bought one, but now it gives 100 lumens less than my AA flashlight.

thegreatvorelli

Newly Enlightened
I am also interested in the responses here. Is it basically a given that the 'BEST' lights won't be found in a retail store? (ie-online only)