SunwayLED        

Thread: Fenix E05 head keeps popping off.

Default Fenix E05 head keeps popping off.

So my friends birthday was the end of May and I gave him a new Fenix E05 to replace the old Thrunite AAA that I gave him along time ago which finally died.

We were leaving the movie theatre tonight and he reached in his pocket for his keys and when he pulled them out, only the Fenix body was there. He found the head and battery on the floor of his vehicle.

I asked to look at it to see why it popped off. I put the head back on and tried tightening it down but it just kept popping off. Itís like the threads are no longer catching.

Anyone ever have that happen and know of a fix?

Default Re: Fenix E05 head keeps popping off.

Photo ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

My camera sucks so I donít think the pics are going to help

I haven't seen that problem on my E05. It's 4 full turns from off to fully tightened. I put 1/2 turn for off which leaves 3.5 turns before it would fall off. I cannot pull the head off until it's basically all the way un-threaded.

Can you pull the head off once its screwed on all the way or does it have to come unscrewed just a little? Is the problem that there is no friction on the threads and the head just spins off on its own? Or is it that there isn't enough depth on the threads to keep it in place even if it is mostly screwed on? From the picture, the threads look good on the body. Can't tell on the head though. Maybe this has been a border line problem ever since new and as such would be a quality or warranty issue. If you rub a Q-tip on the threads does it come out real dirty. In other words is there wear on the threads? It just seems to me that it has to be either wear out of the threads or that it was border line tolerance problem from the getgo. Just a thought.

A couple ideas, but really I couldn't say for sure if any of them are the cause:

It may have been over-tightened at some point when turning it on, and the threads stripped off. Similarly, perhaps a battery vented inside of and built up enough pressure to pop the head off, striping the threads. Alternatively, Fenix might have messed up that specific sample and mis-sized the threads.

I don't have any good fixes off hand. It should still turn on if you hold the head against the body instead of tightening it down, but obviously that's not very practical.

Ok figured it out. Donít know why I didnít think of this before but I took his head and put it on the body of my E05 and it works perfectly.

so the problem is his body. The threads must have not been cut deep enough. I could push his head onto the body all the way down and pull it straight off.

I will call Fenix tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement body :-)

while waiting for the new E05 body, perhaps a few wraps of teflon tape will help hold them together temporarily?
    changing sigline ...

Quote Originally Posted by rookiedaddy View Post
    while waiting for the new E05 body, perhaps a few wraps of teflon tape will help hold them together temporarily?

Great idea.

thank you :-)