This old tank of a flashlight is working fine again. Thanks Sky Lumen!

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Never mind. I found someone willing to help.

Hey,

I've had and used an Ultrafire C2 for at least 10 years now, probably more. Most, or many of you, have probably never even heard of this light. It's an oldie but a great little light.

The switch is giving out. The light flickers constantly now and I traced the problem to the clickie.

I know it sounds stupid, but this light has been good to me for a longggggggg time. So I'm trying to be good to it.

I've searched high, low and in-between for someplace that sells a replacement cap for it and I'm at a dead end. I searched Ultrafire's website and a lot of others and had no luck.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I may find one?

Thanks.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Oh no! Old Faithful is quitting on me.

The mechanical switch on any Surefire/-style light is specifically designed to be replaced as they're only good for a few thousand cycles; if this light is something you want to keep using indefinitely, get a few replacement switches when you find a source. And don't forget o-rings and lube, same deal.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

The whole light is still available on Deal Extreme. If you're particularly attached to yours, just cannibalise the tailcap from the new one, and keep the rest of the new one for spares.

I saw that version of the C2, but it's black.

Mine is a tan color. I'm looking for a matching tailcap. I don't think I'm going to find one.

Does anyone have an an old, dead C2 they want to sell?
20180511_140928_zpsf0zr73eh.jpg

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened

I can't find anything firm about compatibility, but look at the description here:
Compatible with UltraFire C1 Surefire U2, G Series, P Series, Z Series, C Series, D Series, such as Surefire G2 6P 6PL Z2 Z2L C2 C3 9P etc.
If that is to be believed, that UF-C1 is compatible with Surefire Standard bodies, and if UF-C1 is compatible with UF-C2, then you have a myriad of pro options reasonably readily available at premium prices.

From what I can tell from eBay auctions, Ultrafire C8 is Surefire compatible with Standard bodies, and UF-C2 is compatible with UF-C8, as far as pressure switches go. Prices are high for genuine Surefire parts, for example, z41 tailcaps with McClicky switch installed go for about $40 there, but the McClicky kits are only about $18. Stock z41 tailcaps go used-new between $8-$25. There are off-brand compatible tailcaps for $3-$5 but you get what you pay for.

You can always recycle the broken and upgrade, but it is a commitment.

I wish someone that knew had posted somewhere on CPF all Surefire compatibility from other manufacturers, but CPF members and Surefire collectors like to keep this info top secret, decentralized and enticingly peppered throughout the forums. Its just one great big adventure.

Last edited:

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

Can you not take the switch out of the new one and stick it in the old?
P

That's probably beyond my skill level. And I'd hate to buy a whole new light and end up with two lights that don't work instead of one. :laughing:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's a SF compatible tailcap, then putting a new McClicky in will be easy enough. Even with your skilset.
Let's see if it fits, someone will know.
P

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

If it's a SF compatible tailcap, then putting a new McClicky in will be easy enough. Even with your skilset.
P

I know I can find a tailcap that will work with it. But finding a MATCHING tailcap is the problem.

As I said, I've been using this light for more than 10 years. If you look at the picture of it I posted earlier, you'll see the finish is a rather uncommon color.

I think my best hope is another member with an old and dead Ultrafire C2 will see this and let me buy the the tailcap off it.

Short of that, I think I'm just plain out of luck.

Last edited:

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

Moderator,

Would this be better in the LED forum?

thslw8jg

Enlightened

Solarforce website sells replacement switches in forward or reverse clicky kits.
As far as skill level, all you need is a small set of needle nose pliers or pointed tweezers to unscrew the retaining nut holding in your switch assembly and replace with a new switch.

Good luck in your quest

night.hoodie

Enlightened

P

+1

z41 McClicky kit

Seems like a sturdy and attractive host. I have heard tales of CPF members that just worked on tailcaps, but I know of none.

I can appreciate OP's affection for this light and resistance to personally attempting any surgery on it. It might even be unethical. If OP doesn't want to do it himself, nor replace the light entirely, there's help with LED lights.. Beyond placing the McClicky inside, I recommend a double-spring bypass, and copper-bonded LED swap with Nichia 219C as close to 4000K as available, unless you want something absurdly bright. Granted, modding a C2 is investing a box full of new C2 into one, but that value is retained, especially if you score a new warranty.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about buying the new one and practising removing the switch and putting it back again? If it's easy, then you can swap the switch internals into yours, if it goes horribly wrong, you've only damaged the new light to which you are not attached.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Buy a Convoy c8, kind of the same light but much brighter.
Or the Sofirn c8, a little bigger but much much brighter.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about buying the new one and practising removing the switch and putting it back again? If it's easy, then you can swap the switch internals into yours, if it goes horribly wrong, you've only damaged the new light to which you are not attached.
+1 on this. You may be surprised at how easy it is to save this light that you're attached to.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Send it to a person who can repair it. Get a superior emitter, maybe a better driver with a friendly user interface suited to your preferences and upgrade the electrical path at the switch. The fact that it is a somewhat unique color and has served you well is justification enough for the expense. You can talk to us about UI, color temperature, beam shape, and appropriate modder to do it.

Go go for it.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Moderator,

Would this be better in the LED forum?

Probably ... just let me know if you would like it moved.

This thread is an interesting discussion of what to do with older flashlights that are technically "obsolete" , but we would like to continue to use, even when it makes more sense to replace and upgrade rather than repair.

However, specific requests for "wanting to buy" specific items should be done in the WTB forum here ... minus the discussion :)

It is fine to continue to let this thread run, but feel free to open a focused WTB, if you like.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's probably beyond my skill level. And I'd hate to buy a whole new light and end up with two lights that don't work instead of one. :laughing:
No. It's so easy changing the switch internals that anyone can do it. I don't think you even need to change the switch. The flickering light you describe don't sound like a faulty switch, but sounds like the retaining ring that holds the switch in place has loosened over the years. it's normal. try tightening the ring that hold the switch in place before you do anything else. Or even better unscrew it all the way, take the switch out and clean the contacts and put it back together. you can use a nail ,grabbing only one hole. Pointy scissors, tweezers to unscrew/tighten the retaining ring for the switch.etc.
edit: you can see here how to remove a switch. Easy. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?227518-LED-Troubleshooting-guide-(budget-lights)

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just wanted to type the same
:thumbs:
90 % the retaining ring gotten loose
10 % the switch really is bad.

Lift Yourself out of the armchair, unscrew the tailcap, look inside, put tool into the notches and rescrew that ring, then rescrew tailcap and test

if it really is the switch, purchase a new model, get that switch out - it is that easy, just as all the others above have typed - and also get the led part out ...
... and put both into Your tan colored housing

Last edited:

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

I just wanted to type the same
:thumbs:
90 % the retaining ring gotten loose
10 % the switch really is bad.

Lift Yourself out of the armchair, unscrew the tailcap, look inside, put tool into the notches and rescrew that ring, then rescrew tailcap and test

if it really is the switch, purchase a new model, get that switch out - it is that easy, just as all the others above have typed - and also get the led part out ...
... and put both into Your tan colored housing

Turns out it was the switch. Of course it was clicked probably a few thousand times over 10 years or more.

I found a clicky on ebay. It functions the same and works well. It arrived today. Took 15 days to get here from China.

The finish doesn't match exactly, but it's close enough. The main thing is, it's back to working as it used to. I feel like an old friend was sick, but has now recovered. I know that sounds stupid, but that's how I feel.

I'm happy. I want to see if I can get another 10 years out of this Ultrafire C2.

And thanks guys, for all your suggestions.

Last edited: